Villanova 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mikeyp

Bronze

Re: Villanova 2013

Post by mikeyp » Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm

IAmNietzche wrote:Don't want to take this too far from housing questions (cause I know alot of you are wondering about that), but for current Nova students, what's the student body like? Is there alot of competition between students or is it a more laid back atmosphere?
its very laid back in the sense that no one is after each other. but there is a lot of work to do, so people work hard. but its not a gunner school by any means.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Thu May 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Maybe because i am a freak and always super stressed I have to ask this but;

My second seat deposit has been cleared, I sent my official transcript, is there anything important that I need to be doing right now instead of attempting to relax?

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm

horriblegb wrote:Maybe because i am a freak and always super stressed I have to ask this but;

My second seat deposit has been cleared, I sent my official transcript, is there anything important that I need to be doing right now instead of attempting to relax?
Nope, you're good.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 pm

horriblegb wrote:Maybe because i am a freak and always super stressed I have to ask this but;

If you're taking loans out you need to send in the award letter with the amounts you want + the grad plus credit check papers if you want them. Other then that I think we can just kick back and enjoy the summer.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:55 pm

This may be a dumb question but do I need to send them a final transcript if I graduated two years ago? Shouldn't they already have it from when I applied?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 pm

bceagles182 wrote:This may be a dumb question but do I need to send them a final transcript if I graduated two years ago? Shouldn't they already have it from when I applied?
You need to send them an official transcript that gets sent to them directly from your undergrad. The transcripts they get from the LSAC don't meet the requirement.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Fri May 28, 2010 12:37 am

jlnoa0915 wrote:

If you're taking loans out you need to send in the award letter with the amounts you want + the grad plus credit check papers if you want them. Other then that I think we can just kick back and enjoy the summer.
Did it! Yay time to relax while working my butt off haha

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Fri May 28, 2010 1:01 pm

bceagles182 wrote:This may be a dumb question but do I need to send them a final transcript if I graduated two years ago? Shouldn't they already have it from when I applied?
When you apply through LSAC Villanova receives a copy of the original transcript. They want an original copy sent directly from your undergrad institution to independently verify.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon May 31, 2010 1:33 am

when are the deadlines for the loans?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Mon May 31, 2010 9:33 am

nooyyllib wrote:when are the deadlines for the loans?
http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... lines.aspx

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon May 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Onion wrote:
Deadline to accept the loans? I already got my award letter through NOVASIS.

I'm still thinking about living in a single apartment but recently started leaning toward getting a roommate/roommates because 1100x12 = 13200 more in loans. I'm just a little bit worried about living with people who I'm not compatible with and risking my 1L grades (although I'm very easy-going). Thoughts?

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Mon May 31, 2010 11:08 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Onion wrote:

I'm still thinking about living in a single apartment but recently started leaning toward getting a roommate/roommates because 1100x12 = 13200 more in loans. I'm just a little bit worried about living with people who I'm not compatible with and risking my 1L grades (although I'm very easy-going). Thoughts?
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember there being a date to accept by on the fin aid award letter. As far as a living situation, I am in a similar situation as you. I would honestly prefer to have a roommate for various reasons, but was not willing to risk living with someone I could not get along with. Ultimately I signed a lease for a single and if I happen to meet someone I want to live with for next year, it is something I can consider later. As far as cost, if your grades suffer because you have roommate issues and you do not land a job, it cost you way more to have a roommate than to not have one IMHO.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Mon May 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Onion wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Onion wrote:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember there being a date to accept by on the fin aid award letter. As far as a living situation, I am in a similar situation as you. I would honestly prefer to have a roommate for various reasons, but was not willing to risk living with someone I could not get along with. Ultimately I signed a lease for a single and if I happen to meet someone I want to live with for next year, it is something I can consider later. As far as cost, if your grades suffer because you have roommate issues and you do not land a job, it cost you way more to have a roommate than to not have one IMHO.
i just looked at my estimated award letter, there are no dates on there. Maybe I'll give them a call as I mail in the 2nd deposit. And yeah, that's my mindset for the roommate situation as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:08 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Onion wrote:

you can get a single for 875/month. i'm moving out of mine june 30, so if anyone wants a single at radnor house for 875/month send me a pm and i'll give you the realtor's phone #

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:20 pm

I feel like a lot of you may be looking at the roommate cost/benefit a little lopsided. Just meet up with someone on the roommate list and see if you'll get along. If not, then at least you tried... you could be saving a nice chunk of change, so why not explore it some? Living in/around Villanova isn't cheap.

The whole "I don't want my roommate to hurt my grades" mentality seems a bit irrational.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:24 pm

beach_terror wrote:I feel like a lot of you may be looking at the roommate cost/benefit a little lopsided. Just meet up with someone on the roommate list and see if you'll get along. If not, then at least you tried... you could be saving a nice chunk of change, so why not explore it some? Living in/around Villanova isn't cheap.

The whole "I don't want my roommate to hurt my grades" mentality seems a bit irrational.
I understand what you're saying. It depends on the person. For some people it is a very rational fear.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:I feel like a lot of you may be looking at the roommate cost/benefit a little lopsided. Just meet up with someone on the roommate list and see if you'll get along. If not, then at least you tried... you could be saving a nice chunk of change, so why not explore it some? Living in/around Villanova isn't cheap.

It's not irrational at all if you experienced horrible roommates before. (i.e. my sophomore year roommate constantly had his girlfriend over, came home hammered almost every night, junior year had roommates who didn't sleep until 4 am almost everyday)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 pm

nooyyllib wrote:

It's not irrational at all if you experienced horrible roommates before. (i.e. my sophomore year roommate constantly had his girlfriend over, came home hammered almost every night, junior year had roommates who didn't sleep until 4 am almost everyday)
That's why I was saying if you take the time to meet with/talk to potential roommates, the fear shouldn't be as strong. I understand randomly pairing up with someone, or someone you haven't taken the time to get to know, and it not working out. But if you email some of the people on the roommate list and ask about interests/habits, its not like they're going to be lying. Also, by the time law school rolls around, the undergrad habits shouldn't be nearly as bountiful.

Not saying living with people is for everyone, just voicing my opinion. Nova is one hell of an expensive place to go to school, and the housing costs don't help.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 am

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

That's why I was saying if you take the time to meet with/talk to potential roommates, the fear shouldn't be as strong. I understand randomly pairing up with someone, or someone you haven't taken the time to get to know, and it not working out. But if you email some of the people on the roommate list and ask about interests/habits, its not like they're going to be lying. Also, by the time law school rolls around, the undergrad habits shouldn't be nearly as bountiful.

Not saying living with people is for everyone, just voicing my opinion. Nova is one hell of an expensive place to go to school, and the housing costs don't help.
I agree 100%, but I did get to meet the undergraduate roommates before signing, and they are my friends too...just unpleasant to live with.

This situation is especially frustrating for me because I'll be out of the country for the month of july.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:56 pm

To all those worried about housing, this is what I did and I am THRILLED with my decision.

For 1L, I lived in a single. I did not want to live with someone I didn't know well because I did not want it to affect my grades. Rational or irrational, the fear of living with someone and not getting along, and being stuck with them for a year, would definitely have had a negative impact on my grades. The cost of school is already so high, an extra $200-300 per month, in the long run, does not add up to much.

Now that I finished 1L, I have a solid base of friends. I am moving in with someone next month that I know well, get along with, am in the same classes with, etc. So for the next two years, I will be saving money, and my fear is gone because I've known this person for a year now.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:21 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

I'm just happy that it isn't NYC. I live alone and pay $1500/mo + utilities for a 1 BR right now. And that's considered cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 am

Just saw a new requirement for entrance counseling to be filled out re:loans on Novasis. Just wanted to let you guys know if you didn't already.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:31 pm

I did it a couple of days ago, and pardon my language, but is is f*cking retaraded!!!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 am

I'm so confused with NOVASIS and when I called the financial aid office, only voicemail comes up.

1. when is the deadline to accept these loans? I'm afraid that if i accept it now i wont be able to rescind it just in case my waitlist situation works out

2. how do i go about this process?

3. super confused.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:11 am

nooyyllib wrote:I'm so confused with NOVASIS and when I called the financial aid office, only voicemail comes up.

1. when is the deadline to accept these loans? I'm afraid that if i accept it now i wont be able to rescind it just in case my waitlist situation works out

2. how do i go about this process?

3. super confused.
Go here: http://www.law.villanova.edu/Admissions ... -2011.aspx
On the left there's menu with a number of things explaining everything. It's actually pretty comprehensive. I don't think there's a date that you have to accept the loans by.

What part of the "process" are you confused by?

PS: Yes, NOVASIS is incredibly confusing. Even current students don't know how the hell to use it. I generally just use the search box at the top whenever I'm looking for something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”