(No longer accepting applicants at the moment.) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: TLS seeks part-time interns - $12-$15/hr

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Use the force, Tangerine. Ban the shit out of the naysayers.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Any kind of geographic qualifications for this position? I'm guessing it's all online work, but I thought I'd ask just in case...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Also, certain admissions committees may be particularly attuned to certain PS qualities. The person that didn't bother applying because he/she was geographically restricted simply wouldn't have been forced to tailor his/her PS to suit their tastes.

A poster that got into Berkeley told me via pm that there was a certain something Dean Tom went for. I believe it; I had similar impression myself from I'd read of his interviews. A successful Boalt applicant is more likely to be aware of that and to constructively help an aspiring 0L than someone that never even applied to Boalt.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote: Any interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter to toplawschools2010@gmail.com. Also, please provide your LSAT score, LSDAS GPA, and a writing sample -- either your personal statement or another piece of your choosing.
A writing sample is, in fact, required.

I appreciate all concerns...the bottom line is that no one is getting "dinged" for not applying to certain schools. Again, "top law schools" is not a precisely defined term; while problematic, this also allows for leeway.

Top Law Schools is also the name of this website. While expanding to cover the top 200 schools (as well as international schools) are big items on the agenda, TLS focuses on Top Law Schools.

Plain and simple, we are looking for writers who are knowledgeable about the schools covered on this site. "ACCEPTED to top law schools" is not a requirement.

politics

New

Post by politics » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 pm

Very interested

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm

dresden doll wrote: A poster that got into Berkeley told me via pm that there was a certain something Dean Tom went for. I believe it; I had similar impression myself from I'd read of his interviews. A successful Boalt applicant is more likely to be aware of that and to constructively help an aspiring 0L than someone that never even applied to Boalt.
I get it, so Ken should hire someone who applied to every top school.

@ PK, I agree with everything you said. I just didn't like the term "top" to be used as a requirement, especially when there is no guideline to follow for it. I'm sure Ken will pick people who will contribute greatly to the site.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:Any kind of geographic qualifications for this position? I'm guessing it's all online work, but I thought I'd ask just in case...
Excellent question -- I'll make sure to address that in future posts. No geographic qualifications.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote: Plain and simple, we are looking for writers who are knowledgeable about the schools covered on this site. "ACCEPTED to top law schools" is not a requirement.
I guess its that you asked us only to include acceptances on the list.

I mean, I'm damn familiar with Penn's app, but I'm sure as hell not getting in.
Last edited by Pearalegal on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
dresden doll wrote: A poster that got into Berkeley told me via pm that there was a certain something Dean Tom went for. I believe it; I had similar impression myself from I'd read of his interviews. A successful Boalt applicant is more likely to be aware of that and to constructively help an aspiring 0L than someone that never even applied to Boalt.

@ PK, I agree with everything you said. I just didn't like the term "top" to be used as a requirement, especially when there is no guideline to follow for it. I'm sure Ken will pick people who will contribute greatly to the site.
lol jesus pear, i can see why you want to be a lawyer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

No. Never said that. I know of no one that applied to every single T14, in fact. I certainly didn't.

I'm out, though. I don't think I can make my point in a better way than I already have. I'm not applying personally so I really don't care that much anyway. I just wanted to say that I totally see why the team would want to see a list of acceptances. I'd ask for the same in their shoes.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 pm

betasteve wrote:I'm about to come into this thread with my ban hammer and my "worst mod of 2009" reputation and start swinging. Let's keep the discussion to direct questions about the position and less about all the collateral bullshit.

kthanxbai
If you ban me, you ban me, I guess. I wasn't questioning or asking about anything but the requirements and instructions in the post.

The duties Tangerine describes we're too specific, it would be nice to have a more fleshed out explanation of duties (if they've been determined yet).

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:02 pm

betasteve wrote: I may also ban arbitrarily - to live up to my worst mod reputation.
yous gotta do what yous gotta do.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:11 pm

It is easy to see how current law students could provide useful information about their schools, but what sort of knowledge base would the ideal 0L candidate possess?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Is there a specific schedule in mind for the 10-20 hours/week?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
betasteve wrote: I may also ban arbitrarily - to live up to my worst mod reputation.
You like having the last word don't you.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:15 pm

OK, I have altered the recruitment post to remove the "top" qualification. At the end of the day, Ken will determine the best candidates for the job regardless of who applies.

Pear, PK, Dresden, etc...thank you for your opinions!

Everyone else...please keep the questions coming!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
You like having the last word don't you.
I was just trying to be friendly.

I am genuinely curious about the duties, Tangerine. I asked a few posts up, but it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:21 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:It is easy to see how current law students could provide useful information about their schools, but what sort of knowledge base would the ideal 0L candidate possess?
One can be an 0L and still quite knowledgeable on many subjects relevant to TLS -- picking a law school, applying to law school, requesting LOR's, writing essays, studying for the LSAT, etc. etc.

Keep in mind that knowledge base, while helpful, is not a requirement. Qualified applicants will be ready to take on new challenges and research subjects they may know nothing about.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Pearalegal wrote: I am genuinely curious about the duties, Tangerine. I asked a few posts up, but it might have gotten lost in the shuffle.
Good question! Thanks for reminding me, Pear.

The main duty will be writing and editing -- more specifically, writing new content articles and editing/updating old profiles and outdated articles. Ken has other things in mind in terms of re-organizing and streamlining the site...things which will require hours of manpower/womanpower. Things might occasionally get tedious, but Ken is primarily seeking folks who can creatively help elevate TLS to the "next level".

I know that all sounds vague, but this plan is still in its early stages...the first step is to recruit a handful of qualified folks and the rest will come with time and discussion!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Is there a specific schedule in mind for the 10-20 hours/week?
I don't believe so. Ken will have the final say, but my impression is that the hours of a TLS intern position are very flexible. Basically, you do the work when you can.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

For how long? Like, a month, several months, till summer, indefinitely, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Tag

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Should we include the cover letter as an attachment, or place it in the body of the email?

Edited for grammar
Last edited by vespertiliovir on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:52 pm

parker09 wrote:For how long? Like, a month, several months, till summer, indefinitely, etc.
I will get back to you on this. Only Ken can really speak to the level of long-term commitment.
vespertiliovir wrote:Should include the cover letter as an attachment, or place it in the body of the email?
I'd prefer it in the body of the e-mail, but either works!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:05 pm

I have a hard time believing Ken would actively discriminate on the basis of numbers. He is quite anti-elitist. That said, knowing someone's school list does tell you about them. It says something about me that I refused to go through with my retake after I got into Fordham, even given the near certainty that I would raise my score. I just want to echo the sentiment that he will choose the best person for the job regardless of numerical credentials. That's Ken, and he created TLS in his image. And lo, TLS was good. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”