Boston University Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kiersten1985

Silver

Re: Boston University Class of 2013

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 pm

How much are people planning to spend on rent? I keep going between "find the cheapest shithole you can" and "F it, you're already spending a ton anyway, get a nice place."

Thoughts?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I tried to find the middle ground. There are a bunch of places to be found that are in the 800-1000 range, which is pretty reasonable for a city like Boston. Anyone who tells you that you need to pay 1200+ per month on rent simply didn't look hard enough. I'm doing a rental through the office of rental property management, which is somewhat overpriced, but its 975 a month and less than a 5 min walk from the law school. So there are certainly some options out there that aren't terribly overpriced. Though if you rent out a room in a house, you are bound to find the best prices. Look in the Brookline area and the places south of campus. I wouldn't particularly recommend Allston/Brighton.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:44 pm

dakatz wrote:I tried to find the middle ground. There are a bunch of places to be found that are in the 800-1000 range, which is pretty reasonable for a city like Boston. Anyone who tells you that you need to pay 1200+ per month on rent simply didn't look hard enough. I'm doing a rental through the office of rental property management, which is somewhat overpriced, but its 975 a month and less than a 5 min walk from the law school. So there are certainly some options out there that aren't terribly overpriced. Though if you rent out a room in a house, you are bound to find the best prices. Look in the Brookline area and the places south of campus. I wouldn't particularly recommend Allston/Brighton.
Congrats on finding a place! Yea, I got a studio near school for 925$/month no fee, w/everything but electricity. Theres great housing out there, you just need to look hard. A lot of places try to rip off students who don't know better.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
dakatz wrote:I tried to find the middle ground. There are a bunch of places to be found that are in the 800-1000 range, which is pretty reasonable for a city like Boston. Anyone who tells you that you need to pay 1200+ per month on rent simply didn't look hard enough. I'm doing a rental through the office of rental property management, which is somewhat overpriced, but its 975 a month and less than a 5 min walk from the law school. So there are certainly some options out there that aren't terribly overpriced. Though if you rent out a room in a house, you are bound to find the best prices. Look in the Brookline area and the places south of campus. I wouldn't particularly recommend Allston/Brighton.
Congrats on finding a place! Yea, I got a studio near school for 925$/month no fee, w/everything but electricity. Theres great housing out there, you just need to look hard. A lot of places try to rip off students who don't know better.
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm trying to steer clear of Allston - too many bad UG memories :wink: . I was trying to figure out if a $900-$1000 studio was doable so it's good to know you guys think so.

Melon, do you find yourself struggling at all to have enough money for other stuff? Namely food haha. I have $150 to pay each month in private UG loans, but other than that it should just be basic living expenses for me. And books.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:33 am

I'm actually heading to Boston this week to sign a lease on a 3BR apartment on the C-line in brookline (Coolidge corner, about 1.2 miles from the law school). Myself and another BU Law student are still looking for a third roommate. We are both male and in our early/mid 20s.

Apartment has full dining room, living room, eat in kitchen with dishwasher, porch, and has been updated, repainted, hardwood floors rebuffed, etc. this summer. Rent and utilities would total under $800/mo.

Looking for a clean, quiet roommate, PM me for further details.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clseller

New

Post by clseller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Is anyone looking for housing right now? I still need to find a place to live. Would prefer somewhere within walking distance. PM me if you need a housemate. 24 years old/male.

onesixtysix, I'm not sure if you already found another roommate. I'd prefer something a little closer, but let me know if you are still looking.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you real soon. And just in case you aren't in the BU Class of 2013 facebook group, here is the info on tomorrow night's event in NYC:

WHAT: Meet and greet social event
WHO: All members of the BU Law Class of 2013 in NY/NJ this summer, as well as rising 2L's and 3L's
WHEN: 6:30 PM, Friday, August 6th
WHERE: Bar 13 at 35 E. 13th Street, at University Pl. (L, N/Q/R/W, 4/5/6 trains to Union Square)

I'm not the one organizing this, and I'm just passing the info along, but want to make sure everyone on here knew about it. Hope to meet some of you tomorrow!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Anyone know of any sublets? I think my housing plans have changed, and I'll need a place from 8/25 til 9/1.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm

1L schedules are posted on the Student Link!

Somewhat bummed I didnt get pettit for contracts, but I like the look of my schedule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:37 pm

OneSixtySix wrote:1L schedules are posted on the Student Link!

Somewhat bummed I didnt get pettit for contracts, but I like the look of my schedule.
I got Pettit (Damn it. Friday class.). Civ Pro Harper. Seminar I Volk. Torts Hylton. I know nothing about my profs.

Why do I only have 4 classes in Fall and 6 in Spring? :?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Aww didn't get Pettit either. Loved the guy during accepted students day.

Contracts - Kull
Civ Pro - Webber
Torts - Moore
Seminar I - Volk

8:45 AM on mon, weds, and fri sorta sucks but I don't mind.

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:43 pm

john158 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:Is anyone still looking for a roommate?
I was recently informed that their dormitory style housing for grad students is all filled. Now I have to find an apartment, and I don't live in Boston. I think I may have to get a roommate to make things affordable. Let me know your situation utcris.
I'm a 24 year old male btw.
I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been bad about checking this. I found roommates already. Did you find a place?

Allyn

New

Post by Allyn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Anyone know anything about the following professors? I wasn't able to make it to accepted students day and I haven't browsed TLS in ages:

Contracts - Pettit
Civil Pro - Collins
Seminar I - Volk
Torts - Hylton

I also somehow ended up with the same schedule as my SO - not so thrilled about that since I wasn't keen on him attending the same school as me in the first place, but hopefully I have some decent professors to make up for the fact,

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Allyn wrote:Anyone know anything about the following professors? I wasn't able to make it to accepted students day and I haven't browsed TLS in ages:

Contracts - Pettit
Civil Pro - Collins
Seminar I - Volk
Torts - Hylton

I also somehow ended up with the same schedule as my SO - not so thrilled about that since I wasn't keen on him attending the same school as me in the first place, but hopefully I have some decent professors to make up for the fact,
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=16275927

I've also heard a couple positive comments about Hylton.

Looks like a good lineup!

WhatToDo21

New

Post by WhatToDo21 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a question about the first year seminar, I am assuming it is legal writing... Under the day/time it says arranged? When do we find out when that is exactly?

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 am

Regarding the first-year Seminar: This is your legal research and writing course. It will say Volk for everyone, but Prof. Volk does not actually teach any of the sections. Prof. Volk is the head of the first year writing program. During orientation, you will find out who your teacher is and when your section meets. The seminar will only meet once a week, but it could be at an unfortunate time (as late as 5:00-7:00 pm).

Regarding the imbalance of courses between fall and spring: BU intentionally does this to ease you into the law school experience. In the first semester, everyone has 3 substantive courses (Contracts, Civ. Pro., Torts) and the Research & Writing Seminar. In the Spring, you will have four substantive courses (Con Law, Crim Law, Property, Legislation) and the Research & Writing Seminar. The extra course potentially listed in your schedule (Moot Court), should be worth 0 credits and is actually just a part of the Research & Writing Seminar.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Allyn wrote:Anyone know anything about the following professors? I wasn't able to make it to accepted students day and I haven't browsed TLS in ages:

Contracts - Pettit
Civil Pro - Collins
Seminar I - Volk
Torts - Hylton

I've got the same lineup. Are you in C?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ladypurlt

New

Post by Ladypurlt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:44 am

Hey Guys Im in Section B wondering if anyone else is oh yea

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”