Mexican attorney's chances of decent job after J.D. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Luis Gomez

Bronze

Mexican attorney's chances of decent job after J.D.

Post by Luis Gomez » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Last edited by Luis Gomez on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makebelieve

New

Re: Mexican attorney's chances of decent job after J.D.

Post by makebelieve » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Flame? Because your spelling is horrible....

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:45 pm

makebelieve wrote:Flame? Because your spelling is horrible....
He said spanish is his native language...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:05 pm

You should try your best and attend Cooley.

Also, as for advice on weather, it's quite nice in Michigan in the fall.

You don't have a Mexican law degree at 22. Make things more interesting next time. Kthx.

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Kretzy wrote:You don't have a Mexican law degree at 22. Make things more interesting next time. Kthx.
Unlike the US, Mexico law degrees are earned through undergrad. It's quite possible that OP is a 22-year-old lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:
Kretzy wrote:You don't have a Mexican law degree at 22. Make things more interesting next time. Kthx.
Unlike the US, Mexico law degrees are earned through undergrad. It's quite possible that OP is a 22-year-old lawyer.
rofl, Kretzy = suchfail

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Lxw wrote:
bumblebeetoona wrote:
rofl, Kretzy = suchfail
Correct. I completely discounted an LL.B. or another undergraduate law program. My beezy.

Kretzy sincerely apologizes, OP. To answer your question a little more seriously than I did at first, I'd say a 158 or so with a solid performance in your undergraduate program would put you in good position for Florida State. Best of luck.
Last edited by Kretzy on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Kretzy wrote:Correct. I completely discounted an LL.B. or another undergraduate law program. My beezy.
Don't use 'beezy' in that context.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:16 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:
Thanks for beating me to the punch. I actually think its a 5 year program, but 22 is still totally feasible. People ought to at least do a little research before being (anonymous) pricks.

And while I totally appreciate that the OP's native language is Spanish, he'll need a far better grasp of the English language if he actually wants to practice in the states.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bumblebeetoona

New

Post by bumblebeetoona » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:Hi I am a mexicn attorney I am 22 and seeking admission to JD programs, so far looking at Uof Florida, Florida State, Cooley and other T4. (Need a scolarship so T14 is out of the question.).

I woud like to recive advise on weather I can get a decent job in the US after my JD. Considering spanish is my native language (both a positive and negative factor) and that I a am liscensed to practice law in mexico.

Would the law school I attend make a really big difference?

Thanks for your advice, as I really want to know my chances before I committ to such a financial burden.
If you are not a troll (and how many times have I written those words...), I will take this moment to inform you that all of your school choices are terrible.
1. Brush up on your English
2. Decide what you want to do with your degree
3. Retake the LSAT (I saw that you are at a 160) so that you can get scholarships to better schools. The ones you've selected are not good, and in the case of Cooley, outright crooks.

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:19 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:Hi I am a mexicn attorney I am 22 and seeking admission to JD programs, so far looking at Uof Florida, Florida State, Cooley and other T4. (Need a scolarship so T14 is out of the question.).

I woud like to recive advise on weather I can get a decent job in the US after my JD. Considering spanish is my native language (both a positive and negative factor) and that I a am liscensed to practice law in mexico.

Thanks for your advice, as I really want to know my chances before I committ to such a financial burden.
If you are not a troll (and how many times have I written those words...), I will take this moment to inform you that all of your school choices are terrible.
3. Retake the LSAT (I saw that you are at a 160) so that you can get scholarships to better schools. The ones you've selected are not good, and in the case of Cooley, outright crooks.
Agree with teh above.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:22 pm

lawlover829 wrote:Agree with teh above.
didn't you quit and make an alt?

OP: voluntarily choosing to go to a T4 is almost like choosing to fail.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Sorry for the spelling -"It's no excuse but I expirenced keybord malfunctioning ", and lawyers in mexico are ON AVERAGE 23 years old when they graduate from a four year, first entry, undergraduate LLB program, which gives immediate access to practice as an attorney; the real training is obtained on the job and not everyone licensed to practice does.

I did graduate with honors and with other favorable conditions, however I underscored in the LSAT due to language limitations which do not allow me to finish all sections. I am not able to overcome this disadvantage in the short term so I must keep my LSAT score as it is.

Not having the gratest LSAT score and without access to FAFSA or other federal loan programms my options are limited to public schools in Florida and schools willing to offer a sustantial scolarship, mostly T4.

I am afraid my decision might come down to attending Cooley or staying home. That is why I seeked advice on wether Cooley is worth the time investment.

P.D. Will definatley not attend Liberty.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Can you wait a year or two, reading the NY Times (or something similar) every day to improve your English language skills, and re-take the LSAT and apply?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:16 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:

Thanks for the advice, would you mind explaining why FSU and U of F are terrible options, I am exited about those two options.

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Why don't you go for an LLM? That's the degree that most foreign educated lawyers get when they want to practice in the U.S. LLM Admissions are much friendlier to foreigners in terms of language skills and the programs are usually specially tailored to those who already have foreign law degrees.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Luis Gomez wrote: Thanks for the advice, would you mind explaining why FSU and U of F are terrible options, I am exited about those two options.
State schools are going to be stingy with scholarship money generally, and will have very little in the way of aid for international students.

As far as jobs are concerned, your options will be limited to Florida and maybe bits of Georgia and Alabama.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 pm

spondee wrote:Can you wait a year or two, reading the NY Times (or something similar) every day to improve your English language skills, and re-take the LSAT and apply?
All ready tried, my english is not as terrible as my previous post might suggest the points I loose in the reading section might improve but after carefully reading the logic games I dont have much time left to solve them, and that is something very difficult to overcome since I would need to think in english during the test and avoid making unvoluntary time consuming translations.

Waiting two years although reasonable is out of the question since I have financial support from my father only if I start now that my other brothers are not attending college. I have LL.M options in Europe in very good law schools but had always dream to be an attorney in both Mexico and the U.S. to be able to work with immigrants and mexican corporations.

shadowfish

New

Post by shadowfish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:26 pm

What about doing an LLM and trying to transfer into the JD program at whatever school you do your LLM at? I would imagine admissions criteria is less stringent for foreign LLMs, and I don't believe you need the LSAT at all for that. Of course, make sure it's a school that lets you transfer into the JD program first.

Also, FSU and U of F are the sort of schools (correct me if I'm wrong?) that you have to do quite (very?) well to get a decent job when you come out. Even if you get a scholarship, it seems to me that the time would just be wasted. A Floridian might know more about this, though, and I definitely can't say what the Mexico connection will be able to do for you.

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:30 pm

lapolicia wrote:Why don't you go for an LLM? That's the degree that most foreign educated lawyers get when they want to practice in the U.S. LLM Admissions are much friendlier to foreigners in terms of language skills and the programs are usually specially tailored to those who already have foreign law degrees.
I tried that too, I was admitted to Georgtown and NYU, but thought their one year programs did not cover all the aspects needed to practice law in the U.S. I got 10 K offer from NYU but for its Singapour program wich does not ensure acces to the bar exam. Other than that I was not offered any money. Maybe I should have applyed to lower ranked schools.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

strawberrysmoothie

New

Post by strawberrysmoothie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 am

I don't know. Maybe OP's chances in Florida as far as biglaw work (if that is what you are doing - not sure if you meant work for Mexican corps and then pro bono immigrant work?) are better than some may allude coming from UF and Florida State, if you are only looking to work in Florida. Doesn't say, Holland & Knight and Weil have pretty sizeable FL offices? I'd imagine they'd recruit a lot from regional firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”