summer employment - local DA or USAO Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
littleboyblue

Bronze

summer employment - local DA or USAO

Post by littleboyblue » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:16 pm

if you had opportunity to do either for your 1L summer would you take the maybe more prestigious USAO job or the local DA job where you may want to work after graduation (only b/c you can't get hired right from law school in the USAO job).
Thanks!

ggocat

Gold

Re: summer employment - local DA or USAO

Post by ggocat » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Depends. What will your responsibilities be at the DA's office; will you be able to write anything? Is there any reason you can't do both, either by splitting your summer or working at one of the offices during the school year (possibly for school credit)?

If you can do both, I'd suggest doing the USAO first. Save the job that could lead to employment for later so that you will be more experienced when you start the more important job.

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:55 pm

I worked for a USAO my 1L summer and loved it. I got to second-chair trials and stand up in court on arraignments and bail applications. Besides being interesting and impressive on the resume, it's just plain fun too. It's also a great thing to do if you think you want to clerk after graduating. The AUSA I worked for wrote me a rec letter and got me an interview and ultimately a clerkship with the judge he clerked for.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

jdny09 wrote:I worked for a USAO my 1L summer and loved it. I got to second-chair trials and stand up in court on arraignments and bail applications. Besides being interesting and impressive on the resume, it's just plain fun too. It's also a great thing to do if you think you want to clerk after graduating. The AUSA I worked for wrote me a rec letter and got me an interview and ultimately a clerkship with the judge he clerked for.
Question: I'll actually be working for the USAO during my entire 2L year. Do you think 16 hours (2 full days) will get me enough face time to reap rewards such as those you mentioned? Should I try to find a way to squeeze in more time? I can do internships for credit, so I might consider doing that if it would be that beneficial.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Why only 2 days a week?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:10 pm

smov_operator wrote:Why only 2 days a week?
I'll be in school, plus other activities I've already committed to like being a TA, etc. I have other plans for the summer, so I won't be getting started until the Fall.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:14 pm

jdny09 wrote:I worked for a USAO my 1L summer and loved it. I got to second-chair trials and stand up in court on arraignments and bail applications. Besides being interesting and impressive on the resume, it's just plain fun too. It's also a great thing to do if you think you want to clerk after graduating. The AUSA I worked for wrote me a rec letter and got me an interview and ultimately a clerkship with the judge he clerked for.
I thought you could only be involved in court proceedings your 2L summer under the 3L practice act? Am I wrong?

jdny09

New

Post by jdny09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Depents on the district. In the district I worked in, 1Ls could do pretty much everything as long as the judge and defense counsel were okay with it (which was always the case). It was a big selling point when I was interviewing there.

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Totally depends on the jurisdiction's rules and the policies of that particular office. I know a few people who were able to get court time right after 1L year because the rules in their jurisdiction allowed it.
rando wrote: I thought you could only be involved in court proceedings your 2L summer under the 3L practice act? Am I wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”