Why is there such a rampant disdain to plaintiffs' lawyers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
logicianwannabe

New

Why is there such a rampant disdain to plaintiffs' lawyers?

Post by logicianwannabe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:12 pm

particularly at top schools? if they're good, they make more than corporate lawyers, and they are after all the only reason defense litigators have jobs.

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Why is there such a rampant disdain to plaintiffs' lawyers?

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:particularly at top schools? if they're good, they make more than corporate lawyers, and they are after all the only reason defense litigators have jobs.

...I must be confused. There is a plaintiff and defendant in every case, and most attorneys represent companies that are plaintiffs and defendants at different times.

What on earth am I missing?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:particularly at top schools? if they're good, they make more than corporate lawyers, and they are after all the only reason defense litigators have jobs.

...I must be confused. There is a plaintiff and defendant in every case, and most attorneys represent companies that are plaintiffs and defendants at different times.

:: grabs popcorn ::

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

by plaintiffs lawyers i meant the type who only represent plaintiffs--typically they represent individuals in tort suits.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:18 pm

A better topic title would be: Why is there such a rampant misuse of the anonymous post feature?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 pm

No really. What am I not getting? I feel like I must be being an idiot. I know some attorneys represent plaintiffs more than defendants and vice versa...but I didn't realize this was a specific term.

I thought at firms you take on different companies representing different sides. yada.

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:A better topic title would be: Why is there such a rampant misuse of the anonymous post feature?
Woops. Sorry. I was the OP, and didn't realize that I was posting anonymously.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote: by plaintiffs lawyers i meant the type who only represent plaintiffs--typically they represent individuals in tort suits.
Oh, huh.

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Are you referring to ambulance chasers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Oh, are we talking about personal injury lawyers?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:29 pm

The typical reason for the disdain (I'm not agreeing or disagreeing) is regardless of the amount of money they make, they are seen as unscrupulous scumbags.

High-stakes plaintiffs litigation is predicated largely on securing huge (hundreds of millions) "jackpot" verdicts for things like asbestos/lead poisoning, Vioxx litigation, etc. Many people view these suits as having questionable legal merit at best, frivolous at worst, and in any case with judgments vastly exceeding any demonstrable harm (large punitive damages, basically - a reason why the plaintiff's bar is the largest opponent of tort reform).

The flipside of the argument is plaintiff's lawyers litigate important rights, usually on behalf of classes of people who have been injured but would have no legal recourse if these large cases did not exist.

Again, I don't want to endorse either view, but these are the general perspectives.

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Are you referring to ambulance chasers?
Not all plaintiffs' tort lawyers chase ambulances, or advertise on local television with "one call that's all." Many rely solely on their reputations and professional connections, and get high profile cases against the largest corporations and insurance companies in class actions or product liability actions.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kritiosboy

New

Post by kritiosboy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Batman2

New

Post by Batman2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm

John Edwards

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:42 pm

Batman2 wrote:John Edwards
What's wrong with John Edwards?

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Corsair wrote:Also because often times the only purpose of most lawsuits is to make the plaintiff lawyers money. See, for example, most class action lawsuits. Often less than 4% of the purported class actually receives any compensation from the suit. The fees to the lawyers dwarf the actual payouts to class members.
how is this different from saying that the reason that most defense lawyers defend suits is to rake in hourly fees, which often end up costing several times the amount of the likely judgment that would result?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:41 pm

logicianwannabe wrote:
Batman2 wrote:John Edwards
What's wrong with John Edwards?
Overly potent swimmers?

raveler

New

Post by raveler » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Another particularly despicable tactic that is nearly universal is to find a handful, or even just one legitimate plaintiff, and then tack on a bunch of frivolous cases and use the threat of taking the "good" plaintiff's case to trial to drive up settlement amounts for the whole group.

That said, I personally think it's the contingency fee model that is the real problem, not the work itself.

The problem with reform, though, is that under any other payment model a lot of low-income people would not litigate even if they had real claims, because of the prospect of losing and then having to pay their lawyer money they don't have. And lower-income groups are disproportionately injured in a lot of areas (for example, asbestos plant workers).

purduepete2011

New

Post by purduepete2011 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 pm

logicianwannabe wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

by plaintiffs lawyers i meant the type who only represent plaintiffs--typically they represent individuals in tort suits.

if there are counterclaims filed by the defendant, in which case the original plaintiff becomes a defendant and vice versa, what do the specialty lawyers do? run away screaming?

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:39 pm

This is something I've been curious about and it seems like a good place to ask: is there an apostrophe in "plaintiffs attorney" and where does it go? I've seen both plaintiff's, plaintiffs', and plaintiffs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”