POLL: t14 + above median + no callback = loser? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

is this combo an indicator that a person is worthless?

yes
36%
no
49%
maybe (explain)
14%

Total votes: 85

Anonymous User

POLL: t14 + above median + no callback = loser?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:34 pm

what's your opinion?

i'm pissed at a classmate who has made it clear that he/she believes the answer is yes
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Re: POLL: t14 + above median + no callback = loser?

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Law school = loser.

logicianwannabe

New

Post by logicianwannabe » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:43 pm

rayiner wrote:Law school = loser.
i've decided that this is correct.

cornell1L

New

Post by cornell1L » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:44 pm

In a normal economy it was a sign of a probable personality issue. That is certainly not the case now.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:45 pm

so...

success + success + minor setback = loser?

there is just no room for error anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:57 pm

gahthelaw wrote:so...

:roll:

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

ok, so big setback. i'm just so sick of hearing people who have worked hard up to this point say they got steamrolled and then absolutely refuse to pick themselves back up.

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:06 pm

ur a loooooooooooser

:)

actualy

the economy is a looooooooooser

hbb

New

Post by hbb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:04 pm

I think that a person whose job search model was:

1. Nail LSAT
2. Get accepted to any T-14
3. ???
4. Profit

deserves to be branded a loser if they struck out at OCI and had no viable back-up plan, particularly if they were concentrating on the NYC market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:33 am

hbb wrote:I think that a person whose job search model was:

1. Nail LSAT
2. Get accepted to any T-14
3. ???
4. Profit

deserves to be branded a loser if they struck out at OCI and had no viable back-up plan, particularly if they were concentrating on the NYC market.
why? our career counselors all told us that this would be a very successful job search plan.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:47 am

hint: career counselors are career counselors because they couldn't find careers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:49 am

wiseowl wrote:hint: career counselors are career counselors because they couldn't find careers
well, it wasn't only the counselors that gave this impression. every bit of reliable data from the NLJ to AmLaw to ATL (semi-reliable) to TLS (semi-reliable) to USNews (semi-reliable for salaries) to counselors (unreliable) to common sense (reliable) suggested that if you went to t14 and were above average and weren't too awkward you'd make $125k-160k. Anyone who suggested otherwise on TLS was ridiculed. Now, only about 1/3 of t14ers can get a callback; even fewer will get jobs.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:28 pm

you're not a loser, you just got screwed by being class of 2011.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:59 pm

legends159 wrote:you're not a loser, you just got screwed by being class of 2011.
+1

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Now, only about 1/3 of t14ers can get a callback; even fewer will get jobs.
Things are bad, but this is definitely not true.

prospect14

New

Post by prospect14 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:23 pm

Depends on how far above median.

lsat_fear

New

Post by lsat_fear » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am

FrankReynolds wrote:
Now, only about 1/3 of t14ers can get a callback; even fewer will get jobs.
Things are bad, but this is definitely not true.
uh, actually, outside CCN, this is pretty accurate, at least for describing OCI callbacks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 am

gahthelaw wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

ok, so big setback. i'm just so sick of hearing people who have worked hard up to this point say they got steamrolled and then absolutely refuse to pick themselves back up.
I actually think that people are overstating how big of a setback this OCI stuff is. Yes, it's tough. Yes, you have a lot of debt. Nevertheless, not having a 30K summer job with a probable in for a job with a STARTING salary of around 130-180K (including bonus) 21 months before graduation is, IMO, a minor setback in life. T14 law grads still have a number of exit options and though they may even have to scrape by on lower middle class salaries (after you subtract debt payments) for a few years, they still have a significant amount of human capital compared to most people in this economy.

This economy is harsh. students should be thinking much more carefully about going to law school than most of them actually do, but T14 students who consider OCI strike outs as a major setback in life need to keep this in perspective. I think the vast majority of them will end up just fine... then again... some people have different definitions of just fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:50 am

chris0805 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

I actually think that people are overstating how big of a setback this OCI stuff is. Yes, it's tough. Yes, you have a lot of debt. Nevertheless, not having a 30K summer job with a probable in for a job with a STARTING salary of around 130-180K (including bonus) 21 months before graduation is, IMO, a minor setback in life. T14 law grads still have a number of exit options and though they may even have to scrape by on lower middle class salaries (after you subtract debt payments) for a few years, they still have a significant amount of human capital compared to most people in this economy.

This economy is harsh. students should be thinking much more carefully about going to law school than most of them actually do, but T14 students who consider OCI strike outs as a major setback in life need to keep this in perspective. I think the vast majority of them will end up just fine... then again... some people have different definitions of just fine.
What's your definition of "just fine?"

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:08 pm

chris0805 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

my definition of "just fine" does not involve 6 figure debt with no reasonable means of paying it off.

and as you open your mouth to say "LRAP!" - i don't consider that reasonable. what happens when schools or the government can no longer keep up their commitments once 80% of the class is having their loans repaid? you're high and dry.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What's your definition of "just fine?"
1. I don't understand why some many of these posts are anonymous.

2. I'll admit that maybe my definition of "just fine" is a little more bare bones than some people. Just fine, to me, includes the necessities plus a few luxuries of your choice (e.g. maybe you always bring your lunch and cook at home so that you can afford that trip you want). IMO, some people equate luxuries like eating out, going to the bar, expensive electronics, international travel, and living in one's city of choice as necessities.
my definition of "just fine" does not involve 6 figure debt with no reasonable means of paying it off.

and as you open your mouth to say "LRAP!" - i don't consider that reasonable. what happens when schools or the government can no longer keep up their commitments once 80% of the class is having their loans repaid? you're high and dry.
I think it's a little early for this years T14 2Ls to say that they have no reasonable means to pay off their debt because they didn't get a job in the traditional early hiring program. Also, I think T3 grads at the median can be panicking. T14 grads are going to be flooding into secondary legal markets and government positions and other positions that were once not seen as desirable. I'm not naive enough to think the T14 student gets the job every time, but I do think they will have an advantage.

Also, I purposely did not include LRAP in any of this discussion. I think most students will still find themselves outside of LRAP eligible employment, even if the pay difference is much smaller than it used to be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:24 am

IMO, some people equate luxuries like eating out, going to the bar,
eh. If you go to college for 7 years and live like a student, eating out really should not be considered a luxury for the career you end up with :/

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:19 am

Eating food in a restaurant that is prepared and cleaned up by someone else opposed to cooking at home is a luxury, not a necessity. I think you're argument is that having 7 years of higher education should warrant a level of luxury that easily includes eating out. That's probably true, but my point was hey, economy sucks, you'll likely make less than expected (which was a very high amount). This is a bummer, and upon graduation and for a few years, you'll likely have to get by without some luxuries you might have planned on, but it's not a complete killself disaster. Which "some" I guess is always up to the individual.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:24 am

obviously its not "killself" (or shouldn't be) but someone above median at a T14 deserves a firm job IMO. Not getting a single callback, let alone an offer is a bit unfair after the amount of time/money that had been dedicated to a "sure thing."

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:28 am

FrankReynolds wrote:obviously its not "killself" (or shouldn't be) but someone above median at a T14 deserves a firm job IMO. Not getting a single callback, let alone an offer is a bit unfair after the amount of time/money that had been dedicated to a "sure thing."

I don't know about unfair....I would say unfortunate. Nobody is entitled to a job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”