OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
barkschool

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by barkschool » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:06 pm

usernotfound wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://mobile.josbank.com/?CAWELAID=430 ... gQodCgoACQ

find one near you
I have one suit I bought a couple years ago from Jos. A. Bank on short notice, but I'm looking to get a different color and want something that is not overly expensive that is still good quality per dollar. The suit seems OK, but are there any better options?
I bought 2 of the traveller suits (I think that's the level), they were 2 for $500. Then, most importantly, went straight to a full service tailor and had them rework the suits ~$120 total for both. They've been workhorses for 3 years now.

If I had to upgrade, and could only buy one suit, I would go to Nordstroms and you can get a solid $300-400 ted baker/ hugo boss suit (sometimes at those prices on sale). I recommend the same tailoring expenses either way.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:11 pm

if you're gonna be working at a business casual firm, you're very rarely ever gonna need to wear your suit, so there's no reason to spend way more on a "well made" suit that will "last." Just get whatever generic $150-300 suit, have it tailored if it doesn't fit you good and you're set.

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:25 pm

For those who were at a business casual place, how many pants/shirts did you have? Did you wear ties too?

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:26 am

Probably like 4 or 5 pants and shirts. Few hundo down at banana republic. Always have worn jeans at minimum once a week. I'd only wear a tie if wearing a suit which is virtually never

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:23 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:Probably like 4 or 5 pants and shirts. Few hundo down at banana republic. Always have worn jeans at minimum once a week. I'd only wear a tie if wearing a suit which is virtually never
Awesome thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:21 am

hairbear7 wrote:
ballouttacontrol wrote:Probably like 4 or 5 pants and shirts. Few hundo down at banana republic. Always have worn jeans at minimum once a week. I'd only wear a tie if wearing a suit which is virtually never
Awesome thanks!
Would recommend 10-15 shirts so you aren't doing laundry constantly. Pants you can get away with 4-5 and wearing them more than once before washing (or dry cleaning if they are 100% wool or whatever).
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:17 am

What brands / style of pant do ya'll wear? Are we talking chinos from Banana republic or Bonobos? Or more like tailored pants from nordstrom or wherever?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 am

I'm a weirdo so once I found out that I really like the cut of BR's tailored fit 100% wool pants, I bought five different colors of it. I don't really feel that chinos are appropriate at my office, so you'll have to gauge that for yourself.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:13 am

FWIW, and I'm sure we'll have extensive arguments over this in the SA thread, but I'm going with three pairs of slacks (navy, charcoal, and a light grey), probably like 8 or so shirts, and one suit. Three pants, plus the suit pants if I get in a pinch, seem more than enough.

Only thing I might do is grab a new suit, just because mine took a beating from wearing it every day during OCI, but I don't really feel like spending the money.

Oh and I'll be bringing like 4 buttplugs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:20 am

BmoreOrLess wrote: Only thing I might do is grab a new suit, just because mine took a beating from wearing it every day during OCI,
This. Literally had to throw mine away. Sweaty palms in the pockets, pit stains, hot summer days, airports, cabs, etc. Shit was disgusting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:05 pm

I've been buying shirts for upcoming SA and literally can't convince myself to buy anything but white and blue (and all of the patterns that combine the two). My girlfriend thinks I'm a weirdo but I can't see any other colors being ok for a non-business casual office. What's the color wheel of appropriate shirt colors to wear?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been buying shirts for upcoming SA and literally can't convince myself to buy anything but white and blue (and all of the patterns that combine the two). My girlfriend thinks I'm a weirdo but I can't see any other colors being ok for a non-business casual office. What's the color wheel of appropriate shirt colors to wear?
I've worn almost nothing but white/blue and with patterns for my entire professional life and have never felt weird. Only other thing I've ever had is a pink shirt, but probably I plan on holding off on that for a while at a firm.

Oh and you're at a business formal firm? Yea, there's really no other options that I can think of. Frankly I'd probably just wind up wearing white and blue shirts every day out of convenience.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:00 pm

I'll wear occasional purple (glen plaid) and green and blue stripes (with pencil-thin purple stripes). I also have a white with alternating pencil thin dark red and grey stripes.

ETA: something like this, if it were on white:

Also I have a buff/yellow dress shirt and a truly yellow windowpane plaid with blue accent.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:13 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:What brands / style of pant do ya'll wear? Are we talking chinos from Banana republic or Bonobos? Or more like tailored pants from nordstrom or wherever?
I like to pick up various BB wool trousers when they go on sale for about $80.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poldy

Silver

Post by Poldy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote: Only thing I might do is grab a new suit, just because mine took a beating from wearing it every day during OCI,
This. Literally had to throw mine away. Sweaty palms in the pockets, pit stains, hot summer days, airports, cabs, etc. Shit was disgusting.
I don't even want to imagine the kind of underarm sweat that can go through two shirts and still ruin a jacket.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:51 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:FWIW, and I'm sure we'll have extensive arguments over this in the SA thread, but I'm going with three pairs of slacks (navy, charcoal, and a light grey), probably like 8 or so shirts, and one suit. Three pants, plus the suit pants if I get in a pinch, seem more than enough.
solid plan especially if fridays are jeans or chinos appropriate

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:08 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:FWIW, and I'm sure we'll have extensive arguments over this in the SA thread, but I'm going with three pairs of slacks (navy, charcoal, and a light grey), probably like 8 or so shirts, and one suit. Three pants, plus the suit pants if I get in a pinch, seem more than enough.
Is there an SA thread already?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:07 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Is there an SA thread already?
I don't think so, but the thread's creation is as inevitable as the obnoxious men's clothing arguments it will contain.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:09 pm

yeah this is more than acceptable for an SA

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been buying shirts for upcoming SA and literally can't convince myself to buy anything but white and blue (and all of the patterns that combine the two). My girlfriend thinks I'm a weirdo but I can't see any other colors being ok for a non-business casual office. What's the color wheel of appropriate shirt colors to wear?
I buy so many white shirt..... Hoping to just switch ties or pants. Then may go wild with a colored shirt on fridays

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 pm

What firms are not business casual these days?

Anyway - some patterns should be fine to shake things up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

omegaweapon

Bronze

Post by omegaweapon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 am

Any thoughts on this kickstarter? Looks interesting, but I don't like the idea of buying shoes without trying them on.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ac ... odern-gent

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:22 pm

omegaweapon wrote:Any thoughts on this kickstarter? Looks interesting, but I don't like the idea of buying shoes without trying them on.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ac ... odern-gent
I'd honestly just try on some shoes at a dept store and buy them on nordstrom rack versus some unknown brand that you won't know the fit of for $190. plus nordstrom rack has free returns (I think, but i've only done it in-store). You can get a good shoe "made in italy" for as cheap or cheaper than those on nordstrom rack.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:44 pm

Both Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack do free returns for online purchases too

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon May 09, 2016 12:47 am

Might be a dumb question, but I'm externing for a district ct. judge 5 days a week this summer and have been told to dress in "business attire."

Former externs, does this mean every day (or is it customary to wear a suit everyday)? I'll figure it out when it starts, but if you need to dress in business attire every day, how many suits do you think one should have? I have two that are good, but I was thinking maybe getting a third? Or I guess, I can buy a steamer possibly instead of a suit.

Any advice??
Good Guy Gaud wrote:Both Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack do free returns for online purchases too
This is clutch if you live near a Nordstrom Rack/Nordstrom and hate shopping in-store. I bought some stuff on Nordstrom Rack's website and just simply returned like half I didn't like at the Rack 15 mins away that I didn't like. It's better than going to the store clawing through the stuff like TJ-MAXX/Marshall's because online you can see every item in your size etc... Granted they won't all fit the same, but it's clutch you can just return what you don't like (and subsequently revise your size on that brand/don't buy that brand/fit again).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”