SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
breakingpt

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by breakingpt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Can I still do this if I don't graduate until mid-June? The website says that the program starts in May, but do they make exceptions?

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:14 pm

I would give the office a call and ask.

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 pm

legends159 wrote:any idea what the case study is like: I'm imagining something like the LSAT writing section?
It's been several years since my SEO interview and the only question I remember is "How many spiral notebooks do you think were sold in the U.S. last year." I had no idea something like that was coming. :?

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:25 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote: I sort of thought that G'town was a possibility, but I definitely think that NU is not. NU-->NYC (after law school) is less common than GULC--->NYC. U of C would obviously give anyone a much better chance, if we are looking at things in terms of prestige.
You have aboslutely no idea what you're talking... none whatsoever. Can I be any more clear??? You have blatently lied when it comes to your knowledge of NU, and GULC and their respective placement rates in NYC, and NU's ability to place students in SEO. You should not be allowed to post. Do a little bit of research and then come back.
If this was directed at me, let me go ahead and clock the tea. First off, slow your role -- No need to come on here insulting me or anyone for simply stating their opinion. Second, if I was wrong, feel free to correct me. Don't personally attack me for my supposed and apparent lack of knowledge--tell us all what the real deal us. Third, last time I checked, you are not a moderator, and therefore are not in the least bit qualified to tell me or even suggest that I shouldn't be allowed to post. Fourth, and to be clear I am going to bold this, don't ever come at me or any other poster with such brash and abrasive language. Done.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:30 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:
legends159 wrote:any idea what the case study is like: I'm imagining something like the LSAT writing section?
It's been several years since my SEO interview and the only question I remember is "How many spiral notebooks do you think were sold in the U.S. last year." I had no idea something like that was coming. :?
Damnit I'm still trying to figure out how many watermelons were sold in the US last year.

How did you answer it? I would've pulled out the iphone and said, lucky for me the internet makes it so much easier to find trivial answer to trivial questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 pm

legends159 wrote:
uvalaw4l wrote:
Damnit I'm still trying to figure out how many watermelons were sold in the US last year.

How did you answer it? I would've pulled out the iphone and said, lucky for me the internet makes it so much easier to find trivial answer to trivial questions.
I don't even remember - I was so thrown off. Too bad there was no TLS back in '04 so I could have researched SEO! Also, I was doing my interview by phone in a car on the way to the airport (I was about to leave the country for study abroad) which made it that much more difficult.

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:35 pm

blackprince206 wrote:
KP429 wrote:Where do students typically get placed (geographically)? I already got into a T14 (yay..) how intensive is the application process? What's the pay like (if any)?

Isn't it the same as that of a 1L intern: $3000/wk?
That's what it was back when I applied.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:
blackprince206 wrote:
KP429 wrote:Where do students typically get placed (geographically)? I already got into a T14 (yay..) how intensive is the application process? What's the pay like (if any)?

The mailing I received said $750-$1300.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:39 pm

blackprince206 wrote:
uvalaw4l wrote:
blackprince206 wrote:

Someone on pg 1 said it was $750-$1,300/wk. I doubt that...it's got to be more...I heard $3k/wk.
That's the same amount as 2L summer positions at many of the firms that SEO places with. I don't think that would make much sense. I will find the letter they sent when I get home.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:48 pm

I'd honestly be surprised if 0Ls got paid like 2Ls, and would be happy enough with 750-1300. If they are paying 3k a week though...

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:28 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote: The mailing I received said $750-$1300.
+1. The upper limit will be $1300 and if you're out of state (most, if not all, of the firms are in NYC): After taxes, rent, living expenses you'll be lucky to bank about $8,000.

It's more for the experience than the pay.

xynder

New

Post by xynder » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:29 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote: I sort of thought that G'town was a possibility, but I definitely think that NU is not. NU-->NYC (after law school) is less common than GULC--->NYC. U of C would obviously give anyone a much better chance, if we are looking at things in terms of prestige.
You have aboslutely no idea what you're talking... none whatsoever. Can I be any more clear??? You have blatently lied when it comes to your knowledge of NU, and GULC and their respective placement rates in NYC, and NU's ability to place students in SEO. You should not be allowed to post. Do a little bit of research and then come back.
If this was directed at me, let me go ahead and clock the tea. First off, slow your role -- No need to come on here insulting me or anyone for simply stating their opinion. Second, if I was wrong, feel free to correct me. Don't personally attack me for my supposed and apparent lack of knowledge--tell us all what the real deal us. Third, last time I checked, you are not a moderator, and therefore are not in the least bit qualified to tell me or even suggest that I shouldn't be allowed to post. Fourth, and to be clear I am going to bold this, don't ever come at me or any other poster with such brash and abrasive language. Done.

shit just got real!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:38 pm

blackprince206 wrote: Can also be a PMVNBDCG
true, but over on LSD, someone who did the internship last year quoted that there were 50 slots and of those 50,

45/50 were t14

15 from HLS

20 from NYU/CLS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 pm

legends159 wrote:
blackprince206 wrote: Can also be a PMVNBDCG
true, but over on LSD, someone who did the internship last year quoted that there were 50 slots and of those 50,

45/50 were t14

15 from HLS

20 from NYU/CLS
Haha, if that's true it's not terribly surprising but it is definitely disheartening.

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 pm

1. SEO does require an LOR, but only if you are selected for an interview. So fill out your application, wait and see if you are selected, and the reach out to your LOR writer.

2. I don't think your assessment of 2L summer associate earnings is correct by any stretch. My step-sister graduated from UC Berkley and I believe her 2L summer associate position (she worked for Davis Polk) paid around $30,000 for the summer. That is significantly higher than the $900-1300 a week paid by SEO, and rightfully so. The internship is for people who haven't even started law school yet. I think most people do it for the future income derived from networking opportunities and the like.

As far as the preference for certain law schools, do you also think that some of that sample is self-selected rather than a stringent SEO preference for specific schools? I mean, you basically have to move to NYC for a summer. If you live on the West Coast and are moving to Ann Arbor in the fall, you might not be interested in the hassle of moving twice in such a short span. Whereas Harvard, Columbia, NYU are all in or close to NYC...if you are going to Columbia or NYU, you will already be in NYC that fall, so why not do SEO? I mean, the lack of Stanford interns (at least according to the posted stat) supports this theory - Stanford is one of the most diverse law schools and consistently ranked better than Columbia/NYU, yet it is not well represented compared to those schools. Probably because those candidates choose not to do multiple cross-coastal moves. My only suggestion is to take these anecdotal references and supposed numbers with a grain of salt, and maybe some logical reasoning.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm

blackprince206 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I'd honestly be surprised if 0Ls got paid like 2Ls, and would be happy enough with 750-1300. If they are paying 3k a week though...

$1,300/wk makes more sense now that I think about it. But just so y'all know, Summer-1L's get $3k now too.
Sometimes, but not always. Occasionally, firms will pay them marginally (i.e., $300) less just for good measure.

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 pm

NewToBoard wrote: As far as the preference for certain law schools, do you also think that some of that sample is self-selected rather than a stringent SEO preference for specific schools? I mean, you basically have to move to NYC for a summer. If you live on the West Coast and are moving to Ann Arbor in the fall, you might not be interested in the hassle of moving twice in such a short span. Whereas Harvard, Columbia, NYU are all in or close to NYC...if you are going to Columbia or NYU, you will already be in NYC that fall, so why not do SEO? I mean, the lack of Stanford interns (at least according to the posted stat) supports this theory - Stanford is one of the most diverse law schools and consistently ranked better than Columbia/NYU, yet it is not well represented compared to those schools. Probably because those candidates choose not to do multiple cross-coastal moves. My only suggestion is to take these anecdotal references and supposed numbers with a grain of salt, and maybe some logical reasoning.
This debate is so easily solved. Look at the schools represented on the facebook from this past summer:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27942089696

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewToBoard

New

Post by NewToBoard » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 pm

I never debated whether it was T30 or not. I have NO DOUBT that T30 is the cutoff. And I'm sure that outside of T14, chances are VERY unlikely. I don't know why everyone seems to think I'm debating that point. But to draw a clear and definite line in the sand between 14 and 15 just isn't fair, nor is it true.

I for one don't really care, it's to my advantage if they don't choose people at T10 or below, but I simply just don't think it's in me to encourage people not to apply for something when there is a chance out there for them.

xynder

New

Post by xynder » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:46 pm

any difference in sending 1 recs vs. more? also, anyone submit a resume longer than 1 page?

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:46 pm

xynder wrote:any difference in sending 1 recs vs. more? also, anyone submit a resume longer than 1 page?
They say 1 page

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:52 pm

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
blackprince206 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I'd honestly be surprised if 0Ls got paid like 2Ls, and would be happy enough with 750-1300. If they are paying 3k a week though...

$1,300/wk makes more sense now that I think about it. But just so y'all know, Summer-1L's get $3k now too.
Sometimes, but not always. Occasionally, firms will pay them marginally (i.e., $300) less just for good measure.
I don't know a single firm that pays 1Ls less. Not saying that it doesn't happen; but every biglaw firm I know of pays 1Ls and 2Ls the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:54 pm

uvalaw4l wrote:I don't know a single firm that pays 1Ls less. Not saying that it doesn't happen; but every biglaw firm I know of pays 1Ls and 2Ls the same.
Didn't necessarily mean biglaw.

uvalaw4l

New

Post by uvalaw4l » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 am

gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
uvalaw4l wrote:I don't know a single firm that pays 1Ls less. Not saying that it doesn't happen; but every biglaw firm I know of pays 1Ls and 2Ls the same.
Very, very few firms outside of biglaw have the resources to waste on 1L summers. Maybe boutiques, but the ones doing well enough to hire 1Ls still shell out the same pay.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 am

so uva did you get the SEO internship when you applied?

gahhhhhhhhhh

New

Post by gahhhhhhhhhh » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 am

uvalaw4l wrote:
gahhhhhhhhhh wrote:
Very, very few firms outside of biglaw have the resources to waste on 1L summers. Maybe boutiques, but the ones doing well enough to hire 1Ls still shell out the same pay.
I work at a mid-size in a major market that pays 1Ls marginally less, so when I made that statement, it was based on my own personal knowledge of a situation where that is the case. But yes, you are right that the majority of firms that hire 1Ls pay the same.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”