Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
FlippyFloppy

New

Re: Military Law

Post by FlippyFloppy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 pm

thriller1122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
MeganMarkle wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got the call that I'm picked up for the Air Force via DAP! Onto the security/medical check gauntlet. Thank you to everyone who has shared years of knowledge here and good luck to everyone else waiting for a call.
Congrats! I dont have my phone on me at work, but hopefully I have some good news when I get back to my car.
Did anyone else find out? *cautiously optimistic*
I didn't. FWIW, if this process works anything like promotion there won't neccessarily be a call. As an example, AF commanders generally get the list of people promoted before the list is actually released. They aren't really supposed to, but its a tradition to call those selected for promotion. But a lot of Commanders dont. When I picked up E5, for example, most selectees on my base knew early, but I didnt find out until the actual list was released. So, until you get dinged its not an official no. I still wanna find out now though.
I haven’t heard back either, nor have the other two people I know in the Air Force DAP pool, so I’d stay optimistic until the letters come or more people come forward with phone calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
MeganMarkle wrote:Long time lurker, first time poster. Just got the call that I'm picked up for the Air Force via DAP! Onto the security/medical check gauntlet. Thank you to everyone who has shared years of knowledge here and good luck to everyone else waiting for a call.
Congrats! I dont have my phone on me at work, but hopefully I have some good news when I get back to my car.
I didn't. FWIW, if this process works anything like promotion there won't neccessarily be a call. As an example, AF commanders generally get the list of people promoted before the list is actually released. They aren't really supposed to, but its a tradition to call those selected for promotion. But a lot of Commanders dont. When I picked up E5, for example, most selectees on my base knew early, but I didnt find out until the actual list was released. So, until you get dinged its not an official no. I still wanna find out now though.
It is not like promotion notifications. The interviewing SJAs call, though sometimes the calls can be delayed if the SJA is traveling, etc.
If you are not selected do they still call you and if so when?

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
It is not like promotion notifications. The interviewing SJAs call, though sometimes the calls can be delayed if the SJA is traveling, etc.
Ah ok. Wasn't sure. Just trying to stay optimistic for those of us who didnt get a call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:31 pm

thriller1122 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Ah ok. Wasn't sure. Just trying to stay optimistic for those of us who didnt get a call.
I just got the call today, so they're still going out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thriller1122 wrote:
I just got the call today, so they're still going out.
Congrats! That's awesome!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Got the official "no" email today. Already have my application in for the November board, but it feels like a waste of time without feedback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got the official "no" email today. Already have my application in for the November board, but it feels like a waste of time without feedback.
I totally agree espeically since I do not know what my interviewer wrote.

notarevert

New

Post by notarevert » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Got my "No" email today. Will reapply

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:30 pm

notarevert wrote:Got my "No" email today. Will reapply
Are you able to reach out to your interviewer for feedback? In addition, I know they say you are not required to re-interview, but are you allowed to do another interview with another SJA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am

jacketyellow wrote:
notarevert wrote:Got my "No" email today. Will reapply
Are you able to reach out to your interviewer for feedback? In addition, I know they say you are not required to re-interview, but are you allowed to do another interview with another SJA?
The email said there would be an opportunity for feedback that would be announced via Facebook sometime between the November board and the April board. When you resubmit the application it allows you to carry over your interview, but it also allows you to select a new interview if you want.

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got the official "no" email today. Already have my application in for the November board, but it feels like a waste of time without feedback.
If its any consolation, I basically resubmitted my April package to the September board without getting another interview and got selected. Especially if you feel like you're a competitive applicant (GPA, LSAT, extracurriculars, prior service) you should stick with it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:37 pm

ubersaurusrex wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
If its any consolation, I basically resubmitted my April package to the September board without getting another interview and got selected. Especially if you feel like you're a competitive applicant (GPA, LSAT, extracurriculars, prior service) you should stick with it.
Not that you (or anyone) would know this, but I am prior service and I think it is working against me. I was coded on my DD-214 because I declined retainability I needed for an assignment. Basically, I was trying to stay in one place for law school, but got orders to another part of the country and I didn't reenlist to take the assignment. I feel like the interviewers were understanding that I had a justifiable reason not to reenlist or extend, but I can't help but feel it is a big red flag (obviously it requires a waiver). Anyone have any insight on that?

ubersaurusrex

New

Post by ubersaurusrex » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ubersaurusrex wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not that you (or anyone) would know this, but I am prior service and I think it is working against me. I was coded on my DD-214 because I declined retainability I needed for an assignment. Basically, I was trying to stay in one place for law school, but got orders to another part of the country and I didn't reenlist to take the assignment. I feel like the interviewers were understanding that I had a justifiable reason not to reenlist or extend, but I can't help but feel it is a big red flag (obviously it requires a waiver). Anyone have any insight on that?
I'm also prior service and I think it was a plus for me, but I was RE-1A. I would think that your fitness reports/evals would mitigate against this if they are good. Otherwise, yeah that probably is a big red flag. Maybe put something in your personnel statement or include an explanatory letter in your package?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ubersaurusrex wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was prior service (Navy) with an RE-3K and was selected for the Air Force. Mine too required a waiver, and while it may work against you, as long as you have a good explanation, which it sounds like you do, they may be willing to give you a chance. At least they did for me. Hope it works out for you!

keong678

New

Post by keong678 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Active duty Army.. do we have an idea when we will be notified that we have been seated for the January class? It has been 10 months since we have been accepted. I really just want to go. Also need to tell my employer that Im going to quit.

jam313

New

Post by jam313 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:05 pm

keong678 wrote:Active duty Army.. do we have an idea when we will be notified that we have been seated for the January class? It has been 10 months since we have been accepted. I really just want to go. Also need to tell my employer that Im going to quit.
AD here too and waiting. Going to assume you’re done with medical clearance and security forms.

JAG office told me they will start working on base selection at the end of this month. Which means the 1st or 2nd week of November we should be getting an email asking our preferences based off that list.

Then 1st or 2nd week of December we should get orders with base assignment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:27 pm

For the active duty Army folks, when did you have to complete your DODMERB physical? Were there any physicals/screenings after that? I have a medical issue I'm working on and just want to make sure I give myself enough time (or I could wait to apply for another cycle).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the active duty Army folks, when did you have to complete your DODMERB physical? Were there any physicals/screenings after that? I have a medical issue I'm working on and just want to make sure I give myself enough time (or I could wait to apply for another cycle).
App deadline is around November?
Got accepted late December.
Was able to get medical physicals rolling by March.
Had follow ups and additional testing in April.

This year, the deadline to get initial physical done was before April 1. And they warned you that if you didn’t complete it by May 1 your offer could be withdrawn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Thank you, sir. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Hoping to apply for the next cycle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:20 am

Hey everyone, I am going to be submitting my application for Navy SP program this evening. Which means I am of course second guessing everything. My question is how much should I include in the remarks section? Should I treat it as a way to tell my life story? Should it be a brief summary of some challenges I have overcome?

I have had an interesting path with ups and downs, overcoming many hardships to get where I am, but I touched most of that in my motivational statement.

I just am wondering if less is more in this case. Should I let my application ride on my motivational statement and strength of my interview.

For the Air Force GLP program I submitted a 3 page addendum. I feel like that may have been a mistake. Is there such a thing as being to candid if it results in a long attachment that was not requested?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am

I'm a National Guard JAG, so my input may only have limited application to your question about the Navy. We do put some stock in the personal statement and remarks section, but the interview is generally most important. If you have hardships that you've overcome and that have been critical to your development, those can help distinguish your personal statement. I don't think you need to have an in-depth version of that in your remarks section, just focus on highlights or maybe nuances that weren't covered in your long statement.

In general, I wouldn't go too long in your explanations, whether it's your motivational statement or addendums/remarks. Try to keep your thoughts focused. It seems like military attorneys prefer brevity, at least in my branch, possibly because many of them are prior service line officers. Also be careful to frame your hardships in a positive, transformative way. I've seen applicants lean more towards the victim side (true as it may be) and that can be harmful.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MeganMarkle

New

Post by MeganMarkle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I am going to be submitting my application for Navy SP program this evening. Which means I am of course second guessing everything. My question is how much should I include in the remarks section? Should I treat it as a way to tell my life story? Should it be a brief summary of some challenges I have overcome?

I have had an interesting path with ups and downs, overcoming many hardships to get where I am, but I touched most of that in my motivational statement.

I just am wondering if less is more in this case. Should I let my application ride on my motivational statement and strength of my interview.

For the Air Force GLP program I submitted a 3 page addendum. I feel like that may have been a mistake. Is there such a thing as being to candid if it results in a long attachment that was not requested?
The insight I got from my internship was that the motivational statement for the Navy isn't as influential in their decision making as other parts of the application. Just make sure it's clean and concise. It falls more into the bucket of showing that you can follow directions and are professional, similar to the photo requirement. Just make sure you do it and do it within confines of the application instructions.

As others have noted, the most important aspect is your interview and then feedback from your internship, if you had one.

keong678

New

Post by keong678 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am

jam313 wrote:
keong678 wrote:Active duty Army.. do we have an idea when we will be notified that we have been seated for the January class? It has been 10 months since we have been accepted. I really just want to go. Also need to tell my employer that Im going to quit.
AD here too and waiting. Going to assume you’re done with medical clearance and security forms.

JAG office told me they will start working on base selection at the end of this month. Which means the 1st or 2nd week of November we should be getting an email asking our preferences based off that list.

Then 1st or 2nd week of December we should get orders with base assignment.

Thanks! yes, was hoping to be seated for August class but my unit couldn't get my release form in time.

If I get seated for January, that would put me 13 months of waiting after being accepted back in December.

I am just ready to go. Hope to see you in Benning soon!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:16 pm

For Army JAG, how does the security clearance process work in terms of timeline?

Do you know if you're cleared before heading off to DCC or is there a chance that you finish DCC and find out that your clearance is denied?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:07 pm

FY2019 Army JAG class: did everyone just receive an email from JARO about what seems like an apology of how the accessions process is going? Curious if anyone had any insight if there are issues getting the next class (January) going or if there are a large number of medical clearances held up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”