Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 pm

How long does the waiver process usually take?

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have my interview w/ Army JAG tomorrow. Any advice. This is for Active Duty Appointment FYI.
I do not think the interview will be dissimilar from an OCI interview with a typical law firm. You will need to be able to explain why you want to serve in the JAG Corps. How will you handle a deployment? How will be handle being away from your family? Present yourself as someone the interviewer would feel comfortable serving with and recommending to the Board.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:How long does the waiver process usually take?
I have been waiting for around two months for a waiver decision and have not heard anything yet. The Army Reserve folks got an email last week saying that it is taking an extremely long time to hear back about waivers. Has anyone heard back for this cycle yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 am

frankbeans wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have my interview w/ Army JAG tomorrow. Any advice. This is for Active Duty Appointment FYI.
I do not think the interview will be dissimilar from an OCI interview with a typical law firm. You will need to be able to explain why you want to serve in the JAG Corps. How will you handle a deployment? How will be handle being away from your family? Present yourself as someone the interviewer would feel comfortable serving with and recommending to the Board.
If it's anything like the Navy JAG interview,then this is incorrect. All Navy interviews are structured interviews, i.e. everyone gets asked the same set of questions. It is NOT a conversation. They ask a question and then take furious notes as you respond. When you finish your response, they move to the next question. They will not talk to you at all during this portion of the interview unless you have a question.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
frankbeans wrote:
If it's anything like the Navy JAG interview,then this is incorrect. All Navy interviews are structured interviews, i.e. everyone gets asked the same set of questions. It is NOT a conversation. They ask a question and then take furious notes as you respond. When you finish your response, they move to the next question. They will not talk to you at all during this portion of the interview unless you have a question.
It's not at all like the Navy interview. Only the Navy could concoct something that ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

The Navy interview is hilariously awkward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
frankbeans wrote:
It's not at all like the Navy interview. Only the Navy could concoct something that ridiculous.
An excellent introduction to how ridiculous the next four years of your life will be with USN jag!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm

UPDATE/EDITS: I will include more dates as they come

My medical process was fast because between Jan 2017 - April 2017 I was gathering medical records. I also did little things to help speed it up- for instance, I had a concussion in Aug 2016. I knew that would be a flag, so in February-ish I went to a neurologist to get a "test" (just asked me about seizures and things and had me do reflex tests). The neurologist made all the necessary notes and that became part of my "official" medical record that I could submit. The medical process is the tedious, so anything you can do to get ahead is going to benefit you, especially if you want to avoid going through the lengthy waiver process.

Hey guys -

One thing that really ate me up was the timeline or lack thereof. Here was my process for Active duty Army JAG:

Mid-September 2016: interview with FSO
Sometime in October 2016: submitted Army JAG application
Dec 22, 2016: Selected as an alternate
Jan 10, 2017: Emailed my FSO about what it means to be an alternate
Jan 25, 2017: Taken off alternate list
Late Feb: Army JAG conference call (just telling us what we need to do)
Feb/March: Get all my medical records
April 11, 2017: Take my DODMERB physical
May 9, 2017: DODMERB Requests remedial (additional info/narrative statements)
June 26, 2017: Submit remedial info to DODMERB
July 7, 2017: DODMERB changes info to "qualified"
July 25/26, 2017: Take the bar exam
Aug 7, 2017: Start working at a small firm just helping out with discovery and research to pay bills -they know about my JAG situation
Aug 15, 2017: Submit additional info/worksheets to JARO
Aug 29, 2017: JARO tells me HRC needs more medical records and I send them ASAP
Sept 12, 2017: JARO emails me telling me HRC has medically approved me and I should expect a spot in the January 2018 class
Sept 13, 2017: Passed bar exam
Sept 25, 2017: JARO emails me saying they need my Letter of Good Standing from the bar to complete my accessions package for January 2018 class
Sept 25, 2017: I submit my Letter of Good Standing
Nov 16, 2017: Fill out "dream sheet" of potential first duty stations (see below)

Fort Bragg
Fort Campbell
Fort Carson
Fort Drum
Fort Eustis
Hawaii
Fort Hood
JBLM
Fort Riley
Korea
Fort Benning
Europe
Italy
Fort Lee
Fort Leonard Wood
Redstone Arsenal
Alaska
Fort Huachuca
Fort Gordon
Fort Jackson
Fort Knox
Fort Irwin
Fort Meade
Fort Detrick
Aberdeen Proving Ground
USMA
Fort Polk
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys -

One thing that really ate me up was the timeline or lack thereof. Here was my process for Active duty Army JAG:

Aug 7, 2017: Start working at a firm just helping out with discovery and research to pay bills -they know about my JAG situation
Sept 12, 2017: JARO emails me telling me HRC has medically approved me and I should expect a spot in the January 2018 class
Congrats on passing!

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Aug 7, 2017: Start working at a firm just helping out with discovery and research to pay bills -they know about my JAG situation
Congratulations on both passing the bar and getting the green light for the January class. Has JARO discussed your preferences for duty station?

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 am

frankbeans wrote:

Congratulations on both passing the bar and getting the green light for the January class. Has JARO discussed your preferences for duty station?
Thank you! No word on duty stations yet, but I remember seeing on this thread that someone for the October 2017 class got their duty station worksheet in mid-August, so maybe it'll arrive in mid-November for the January class. JARO just asked for my "letter of good standing" from the bar -so there's a possibility the duty station worksheet will arrive after everything is settled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 pm

AD Army JAG: Has anyone else received an email from JARO that they were medically approved by HRC and should expect a seat in the January 2018 class?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AD Army JAG: Has anyone else received an email from JARO that they were medically approved by HRC and should expect a seat in the January 2018 class?
I haven't received anything, and DODMERB classified me as qualified on June 23rd. I'm anxiously awaiting any word from JARO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:AD Army JAG: Has anyone else received an email from JARO that they were medically approved by HRC and should expect a seat in the January 2018 class?
I haven't received anything, and DODMERB classified me as qualified on June 23rd. I'm anxiously awaiting any word from JARO.
Same. I was classified as qualified on 22 May and haven't heard anything.

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Same. I was classified as qualified on 22 May and haven't heard anything.

I got an email on Sept 12 saying I was approved by HRC and should expect a seat in January '18-I posted a timeline above detailing when I was cleared for DODMERB etc. -

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:29 pm

JARO also emailed me a few weeks ago that I was medically qualified and should be in January's class if I pass the bar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JARO also emailed me a few weeks ago that I was medically qualified and should be in January's class if I pass the bar.
You guys are so lucky, I've been waiting for almost three months on a medical waiver decision. I don't care when I ship out for training, just want to know that I'm going to get in. :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am

Above anon here. I didn't have any waivers and it still took several months to hear back on medical. It's definitely a waiting game. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 pm

I recently submitted my application for the Army 2L internship. Based on what I was able to find on the Army website, the application and supporting documents were suppose to be submitted via an email to usarmy.belvoir.hqda-otjag.mbx.intern-application@mail.mil. Will I receive any sort of notification that the application was received, or will it just be a waiting game to see if I get an offer/rejection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:08 am

Must be a new process. Last year, we submitted our applications directly from the JARO website. With that said, last year's selectees have been uploading documents through that same email. Before you submitted, you could have checked a box to receive notification when your documents are downloaded. Since you already submitted, you can check manually by clicking on the link from the automatically generated email.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Any Army JAG selectees waiting for a medical waiver heard anything recently? I've been waiting for months for a decision, would love any news. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Does colorblindness disqualify you from Jag in any of the branches?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Got an email from the intern coordinator saying I need to ask the SJA to submit my evaluation for my summer internship. Does this mean I should contact the SJA at the base I worked at directly? I don't even know who they are or how to contact them.

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email from the intern coordinator saying I need to ask the SJA to submit my evaluation for my summer internship. Does this mean I should contact the SJA at the base I worked at directly? I don't even know who they are or how to contact them.
Do you have a point of contact or a supervisor that you could reach out to? If so, this person should be able to talk to the SJA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”