Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
XOctavianX

New

Re: Military Law

Post by XOctavianX » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:02 am

Yeah I haven't heard anything either, I have sent a few emails to the SGT point of contact because I haven't gotten a Concord account set up yet so I was trying to figure out how to go about doing that (I have tried the example login and it is not valid for me).

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Does anyone know when the Army board is going to meet this month? Waiting on results for a guard JAG slot

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:55 pm

XOctavianX wrote:Yeah I haven't heard anything either, I have sent a few emails to the SGT point of contact because I haven't gotten a Concord account set up yet so I was trying to figure out how to go about doing that (I have tried the example login and it is not valid for me).
Concord takes a few days to actually get set up. Call them if you have any questions -- they are really helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Hey Patrick, I was just wondering if you could reveal roughly how many new JAGs are hired each year in the Air Force? Same for the paid internship program if you have that info. I know Army is the biggest, and Air Force is somewhere in the middle, but I can't really find any specific numbers.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Patrick, I was just wondering if you could reveal roughly how many new JAGs are hired each year in the Air Force? Same for the paid internship program if you have that info. I know Army is the biggest, and Air Force is somewhere in the middle, but I can't really find any specific numbers.
Can't help you on this one. I'm now an old guy in the Reserves and am pretty unplugged in this respect.

Maybe some of the folks on AD can weigh in with this information. And, there is, as always, JAX - they are a handpicked staff who are there to help you out. Pick up the phone or check out their FB page to hit up the subject matter experts directly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:03 am

usn26 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Anybody happen to know how to submit a National Guard JAG app?
IME its best to find a NG JAG who might know. I have a friend in the PA NG who was able to set me up with the JAG accessions chief after I made no inroads barking up the regular NG recruiting channel. That said, those normal channels (from the website, etc) are probably the place to start.
Fivedham wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Anybody happen to know how to submit a National Guard JAG app?
Each state is different, although they all go through the same selection board process held every 2-3 months. Each state should have a specialty branch recruiter - you should be able to find out their contact info from Googling - call them and get the lowdown.

For me, I called around a few different states and asked if they were recruiting JAs. I called basically every state in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, and found that at the time of my application (last year), only two states had available slots, and one of them had a more dire need, so I went with that one. After that, you just start assembling your packet with the recruiter for the national board, which is on paper. The only in-person stuff I had to do was a very informal interview with a JAG colonel in my state, followed by some physical exams. It helped that I was already in the Guard as an officer, so I had to do less admin stuff. I had to wait a few months for board selection results (which are posted on JARO), but once I got selected I had to go in front of an in-person board, called a federal recognition board, for a more formal interview. Once I got the nod on that, which was immediate, I commissioned as a JA. The total process took about a year, although there was some delay associated with late paperwork and just missing a national board.

The one takeaway I had from the whole thing was that since it's mainly a state-driven process, your application is wholly in the hands of the specialty branch recruiter, and it behooves you to stay on top of them to make sure paperwork is being submitted. I had to constantly be available to them if they needed anything.

Thanks guys, appreciate the good info!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 am

usn26 wrote:
IME its best to find a NG JAG who might know. I have a friend in the PA NG who was able to set me up with the JAG accessions chief after I made no inroads barking up the regular NG recruiting channel. That said, those normal channels (from the website, etc) are probably the place to start.
Fivedham wrote:
Each state is different, although they all go through the same selection board process held every 2-3 months. Each state should have a specialty branch recruiter - you should be able to find out their contact info from Googling - call them and get the lowdown.

For me, I called around a few different states and asked if they were recruiting JAs. I called basically every state in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, and found that at the time of my application (last year), only two states had available slots, and one of them had a more dire need, so I went with that one. After that, you just start assembling your packet with the recruiter for the national board, which is on paper. The only in-person stuff I had to do was a very informal interview with a JAG colonel in my state, followed by some physical exams. It helped that I was already in the Guard as an officer, so I had to do less admin stuff. I had to wait a few months for board selection results (which are posted on JARO), but once I got selected I had to go in front of an in-person board, called a federal recognition board, for a more formal interview. Once I got the nod on that, which was immediate, I commissioned as a JA. The total process took about a year, although there was some delay associated with late paperwork and just missing a national board.

The one takeaway I had from the whole thing was that since it's mainly a state-driven process, your application is wholly in the hands of the specialty branch recruiter, and it behooves you to stay on top of them to make sure paperwork is being submitted. I had to constantly be available to them if they needed anything.

Thanks for the info guys!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Patrick, I was just wondering if you could reveal roughly how many new JAGs are hired each year in the Air Force? Same for the paid internship program if you have that info. I know Army is the biggest, and Air Force is somewhere in the middle, but I can't really find any specific numbers.
I'm not exactly sure if they are all paid or not, but JAX sends a message to all bases seeing if you need an intern. JAX will try to fill all positions. GLP program had about 10 10 this past board and OYCP was 15 or so. For DAP, I would estimate 30-40 a board. But these numbers have always fluctuated based on manning and budget. Just keep applying, kill the interview, have some type of court experience (moot even), and really show why the Air Force JAG and you should do just fine.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:53 am

Has anyone who was selected as an alternate for this past board for Army JAG heard anything? Also, is it possible to switch from an AD alternate to a reserve alternate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ajamae

New

Post by Ajamae » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:39 am

Has anyone selected in December heard anything from JARO?????

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Has anyone selected by army in dec heard anything at all from JARO?????

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting onto JARO's website where the various documents/forms we need to fill out are?

Ajamae

New

Post by Ajamae » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:58 pm

No. Site seems to have been down about 2 months.
Also no one answers email or returns phone calls.
Very frustrating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 am

Any chance as a JAG you could get approval to pursue an LLM in Tax?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any chance as a JAG you could get approval to pursue an LLM in Tax?
I don't see that as likely. I am not familiar with how the other services handle LLMs but for the AF, all of the programs are subject matters that the JAGC needs subject matter experts in: procurement, environmental, labor, international, etc. We do not practice any tax law and there is no benefit to be gained for the JAGC (at most, a first assignment JAG that is responsible for legal assistance will help run the base tax center during tax season, helping prep returns).

heyarnold

New

Post by heyarnold » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Curious about the College Cost Reductions & Access Act (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr2669/text)

As it currently stands, if a JAG is contracted for 10 years, all his federal loans (from undergrad, grad school, law school) will be forgiven so long as he makes a good faith effort to pay his loans back in a timely manner during those 10 years? If so, Can one structure their student loans to, say, a 30 year plan, in order to pay a minimal amount of $$ each month and still have all loans forgiven after 10 years?

I know the bill is tenuous and might either be sunsetted or rescinded altogether, but this seems like a great deal and huge incentive to remain working in a federal capacity for 10+ years --especially with law school debts + undergrad. Any personal insight would be much appreciated!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 pm

heyarnold wrote:Curious about the College Cost Reductions & Access Act (https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr2669/text)

As it currently stands, if a JAG is contracted for 10 years, all his federal loans (from undergrad, grad school, law school) will be forgiven so long as he makes a good faith effort to pay his loans back in a timely manner during those 10 years? If so, Can one structure their student loans to, say, a 30 year plan, in order to pay a minimal amount of $$ each month and still have all loans forgiven after 10 years?

I know the bill is tenuous and might either be sunsetted or rescinded altogether, but this seems like a great deal and huge incentive to remain working in a federal capacity for 10+ years --especially with law school debts + undergrad. Any personal insight would be much appreciated!
You are in the general ballpark here with your information. For the folks on this forum, it is the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) that gives the loan forgiveness at 10 years of *qualifying payments* in a public service position. I also have zero idea if you can roll in undergrad and other loans (private loans also do not apply - it is only your Stafford type federal loans). My experience has only been with my Stafford law school loans.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loan ... ic-service

You all can look up the details on your own. I do not think the "good faith payment" thing is at all correct - you have to be paying under one of the repayment programs approved for PSLF (IBR, ICR, etc). I've been paying under IBR since I started active duty service. The payments were real low when I was a mere O-2 thanks to how it is taxed (it is all driven by AGI) but I took a real shot to the beanbag when I moved to a high GS position as a civilian. [Again, a cautionary tale for you all 4-6 year folks that are considering separating - you will often make less take home pay as a civilian in a comparable Federal position. When it comes to income, the grass is not always greener out of uniform. I digress...]

Public service for this program is construed quite broadly - folks going into Federal/state/local govt positions following AD service will do just fine. If you are going into the quasi-non profit world, you will need to do your homework if you can qualify.

As with any entitlement type program, there is always the risk of it going away. The current administration wanted to do just that in the recent WH budget, though given the budget is a Congressional process, I usually view the WH budget as a sort of wish list/policy proclamation versus anything that will be implemented. It was also unclear re: current re-payers being grandfathered in. I would not worry about it right now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:56 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:I've been paying under IBR since I started active duty service. The payments were real low when I was a mere O-2 thanks to how it is taxed (it is all driven by AGI) but I took a real shot to the beanbag when I moved to a high GS position as a civilian. [Again, a cautionary tale for you all 4-6 year folks that are considering separating - you will often make less take home pay as a civilian in a comparable Federal position. When it comes to income, the grass is not always greener out of uniform. I digress...]
Active duty military is probably the best possible job for IBR. You can get paid the equivalent of $90k-110k (or more) in the private sector and still have payments around $200-300 per month (or less, depending).

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any chance as a JAG you could get approval to pursue an LLM in Tax?
I have a tax LLM -- it was definitely a plus in the recruiting process for me.

Anyone going to OBC in May?

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:36 am

FSUAttorney wrote:Anyone going to OBC in May?
I am. Just barely missed the January class, but I'm excited to be in Georgia in May/June. :roll:

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 am

Fivedham wrote:
I am. Just barely missed the January class, but I'm excited to be in Georgia in May/June. :roll:
Decent chance I will be there too. I prefer the heat over the cold. What are you shooting for APFT wise?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:24 am

FSUAttorney wrote:
Fivedham wrote:
Decent chance I will be there too. I prefer the heat over the cold. What are you shooting for APFT wise?
I've been a Guard officer (just not a JA) for the past seven years, and I usually hit the 230-250 range, with my weakest event being push-ups. I'm gonna train up in advance for this school though, so who knows. Graders at schools tend to be a little more weird about push-up standards, so I'm really just working on form for the next eight weeks.

You've got time though. DCC has a diagnostic APFT the first week, and the record isn't until week four. Eight weeks is more than enough time to train up to hit 270 if you're already a reasonably fit person.

MacSauce

New

Post by MacSauce » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

FSUAttorney wrote:
I have a tax LLM -- it was definitely a plus in the recruiting process for me.

Anyone going to OBC in May?
Hi, Thanks for the response. Wanted to clarify: Are you saying you were recruited after already earning a Tax LLM, or do you mean you were able to go back to school for one during your service?

Thank you.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 pm

For anyone who has left active duty, would employers even give you a look if you hadn't initiated the separation process yet?

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 am

Has anyone going Army JAG this summer gotten orders for JAOBC yet? My DCC orders are in, and I have a course reservation for JAOBC, but no orders yet. Do they just wait until 1-2 months out to issue them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”