Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
usn26

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by usn26 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Recs included one from a former SECNAV
That probably had something to do with it!
Yeah, how'd you pull that off?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Took a couple classes from him and made sure to get on his good side. I know other people who have applied to JAG from my school and not spoken with him/even realized who he was.

I suppose the who you know/what you know principle applies to some extent throughout the profession.

RiseUpBold

New

Post by RiseUpBold » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello Everyone, I have been following this forum for the past two years and I sincerely appreciate everones input.

I got accepted last december to the Army JAG AD as an alternate and within two months I was notified of my acceptance as an AD. Since then I have been following up with Dodmerb for the medical req’s. I have ADD and urinary frequency so I needed a waiver for both. Unfortunately, today I received a phone call letting me know that my waiver was denied by the HRC. Is there anything I could do at this point? Jaro told me that HRC gave the final decision and unless there is an insurmountable evidence to be considered there is no reconsideration.

I am very suprised to receive the denial because both of my conditions were very small being that the frequency does not even need to be treated and the ADD did not even amunt to me getting an accomodation on tests. I had doctors explaining as such and all of that was of course part of the paperwork sent to the HRC months ago.

Ultimately though I had a very hard summer with unexpected family issues and I was not able to pass the bar by a small margin. I let the office know a month ago and they told me that I could take it again and if I failed again then I would need a waiver. Could the bar be the issue on the HRC desicion? Because if it is I can certainly explain my situation with proof.

Had I passed the bar, I would therotically be up for training on Jan 6th. Is it normal for people to be denied their waivers a month before training? It seems really odd esspecially if candidates work with Jaro for more than a year and make a lot of decisions for their family during this time based on their path to being a JAG as I did.

I plan to reapply to other branches but this surely was a bummer. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:32 pm

That's tough news, thanks for sharing. Would you mind letting us know when you submitted your waiver packet? Thanks, and good luck.
RiseUpBold wrote:Hello Everyone, I have been following this forum for the past two years and I sincerely appreciate everones input.

I got accepted last december to the Army JAG AD as an alternate and within two months I was notified of my acceptance as an AD. Since then I have been following up with Dodmerb for the medical req’s. I have ADD and urinary frequency so I needed a waiver for both. Unfortunately, today I received a phone call letting me know that my waiver was denied by the HRC. Is there anything I could do at this point? Jaro told me that HRC gave the final decision and unless there is an insurmountable evidence to be considered there is no reconsideration.

I am very suprised to receive the denial because both of my conditions were very small being that the frequency does not even need to be treated and the ADD did not even amunt to me getting an accomodation on tests. I had doctors explaining as such and all of that was of course part of the paperwork sent to the HRC months ago.

Ultimately though I had a very hard summer with unexpected family issues and I was not able to pass the bar by a small margin. I let the office know a month ago and they told me that I could take it again and if I failed again then I would need a waiver. Could the bar be the issue on the HRC desicion? Because if it is I can certainly explain my situation with proof.

Had I passed the bar, I would therotically be up for training on Jan 6th. Is it normal for people to be denied their waivers a month before training? It seems really odd esspecially if candidates work with Jaro for more than a year and make a lot of decisions for their family during this time based on their path to being a JAG as I did.

I plan to reapply to other branches but this surely was a bummer. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

RiseUpBold

New

Post by RiseUpBold » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's tough news, thanks for sharing. Would you mind letting us know when you submitted your waiver packet? Thanks, and good luck.
RiseUpBold wrote:Hello Everyone, I have been following this forum for the past two years and I sincerely appreciate everones input.

I was notified I needed a waiwer in late July.
I submitted all the documents in early September and later that month I was told that my waiver application was complete and that it would be sent up with the next batch of waivers ready for review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 am

Anyone able to leverage going JAG when negotiating rates on Bar Prep? Seems strange the military doesn’t help with some of the costs of bar prep, but that’s life I guess. I’ve heard Kaplan and maybe Themis will give public interest discounts to JAGs but wanted to see if anyone had any tips in this area.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone able to leverage going JAG when negotiating rates on Bar Prep? Seems strange the military doesn’t help with some of the costs of bar prep, but that’s life I guess. I’ve heard Kaplan and maybe Themis will give public interest discounts to JAGs but wanted to see if anyone had any tips in this area.
Themis gives a really competitive public interest/government scholarship. I think the course would be $1395, including your books. I prefer it to Barbri, on both substance and price.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:20 am

If HRC denied your waiver, the odds of anyone higher overturning that decision are minimal. At this point, I’d assume the military isn’t going to happen. I’m sorry.

RiseUpBold

New

Post by RiseUpBold » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

If HRC denied your waiver, the odds of anyone higher overturning that decision are minimal. At this point, I’d assume the military isn’t going to happen. I’m sorry.
Do you mean once HRC denies a waiver that it becomes applicable across the board?

I did find this response on another forum that makes me a bit hopeful.

"I am active duty Army JAG (going on about 5 years). This is a throwaway account.

I was admitted after being disqualified for a medical condition. The waiver came very quickly. I was also disqualified and not given a waiver by another branch for a completely different issue. Both were on my medical records, and I think it that it really boiled down to who saw my packet. I actually put much more work into the earlier waiver packet and even got a doctor's note and had additional testing.

Keep pursuing the JAG option, but keep other doors open just in case, and feel free to ask me additional questions if you have any."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:07 pm

RiseUpBold wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Do you mean once HRC denies a waiver that it becomes applicable across the board?

"I am active duty Army JAG (going on about 5 years). This is a throwaway account.

I was admitted after being disqualified for a medical condition. The waiver came very quickly. I was also disqualified and not given a waiver by another branch for a completely different issue. Both were on my medical records, and I think it that it really boiled down to who saw my packet. I actually put much more work into the earlier waiver packet and even got a doctor's note and had additional testing.

Keep pursuing the JAG option, but keep other doors open just in case, and feel free to ask me additional questions if you have any."
HRCs decision isn’t binding for the other services, but I believe when you fill out the medical questionnaire one of the questions is whether you’ve ever been found medically unqualified for military service, which you now have. So the other services are going to look at your answers very closely, and probably start from a presumption of “no.” I’m not saying it’s impossible that the Navy or Air Force would give you a waiver if you were accepted, but I think it’s enough a long shot that you should definitely look into other options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
RiseUpBold wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

HRCs decision isn’t binding for the other services, but I believe when you fill out the medical questionnaire one of the questions is whether you’ve ever been found medically unqualified for military service, which you now have. So the other services are going to look at your answers very closely, and probably start from a presumption of “no.” I’m not saying it’s impossible that the Navy or Air Force would give you a waiver if you were accepted, but I think it’s enough a long shot that you should definitely look into other options.

I got an ADD waiver very easily from the Navy. They require that you're off meds for a year and you need to show proof that you can still do well in school off meds. I was expecting it to be a big ordeal/have to produce a lot of documents, but it was relatively easy. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:07 am

aka123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone able to leverage going JAG when negotiating rates on Bar Prep? Seems strange the military doesn’t help with some of the costs of bar prep, but that’s life I guess. I’ve heard Kaplan and maybe Themis will give public interest discounts to JAGs but wanted to see if anyone had any tips in this area.
Themis gives a really competitive public interest/government scholarship. I think the course would be $1395, including your books. I prefer it to Barbri, on both substance and price.

Barbri gives a public interest award too...makes it like $1950.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
aka123 wrote:

Barbri gives a public interest award too...makes it like $1950.
When I asked a Kaplan rep this question he said that because their full price beat Themis' public interest scholarship they wouldn't do any additional discount. Sounds like Themis or Barbri are your options if you're looking for discounts

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Can anyone who has done the Army 2L internship answer a couple questions about pay? I know it's advertised as paying $7,000 for 60 days. However, how is this paid, one lump sum, monthly, etc.? Next, is there any sort of locality pay or COLA pay? Finally, is it possible to also get externship credit (probably a question for my school, I know)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Does anyone know when AF DAP results are coming out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:06 am

JARO said results would be released this week. Does anyone know what day of the week in the past they have released results?

JayEhs

New

Post by JayEhs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:JARO said results would be released this week. Does anyone know what day of the week in the past they have released results?
December 22, 2016
December 18, 2015
December 24, 2014
December 20, 2013
December 20, 2012
January 9, 2012
January 7, 2011
January 8, 2010
January 5, 2009

Previous release dates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:58 am

JayEhs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:JARO said results would be released this week. Does anyone know what day of the week in the past they have released results?
December 22, 2016
December 18, 2015
December 24, 2014
December 20, 2013
December 20, 2012
January 9, 2012
January 7, 2011
January 8, 2010
January 5, 2009

Previous release dates.
Thursdays and Fridays :/

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who has done the Army 2L internship answer a couple questions about pay? I know it's advertised as paying $7,000 for 60 days. However, how is this paid, one lump sum, monthly, etc.? Next, is there any sort of locality pay or COLA pay? Finally, is it possible to also get externship credit (probably a question for my school, I know)?
Based on my Air Force time - Army folks, feel free to correct me:

The internships are temporary civil service appointments - you will be a Fed civilian paid under the GS scale (I can't remember if the Army pays 2Ls as GS-7s or GS-9s). You should be entitled to the locality pay based on the location of your assignment. You get paid on the 1st and 15th like everyone else in the Fed govt.

I don't think anyone here can address the externship issue - that is going to depend on your law school.

Quasar

New

Post by Quasar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Just got offered a position to intern with the USCG for the summer. Does anyone have experience interning with the Coast Guard or can shed some light of what I should expect? Suggestions in general?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Quasar wrote:Just got offered a position to intern with the USCG for the summer. Does anyone have experience interning with the Coast Guard or can shed some light of what I should expect? Suggestions in general?
Suggestion: do it! I think I spoke to this a few pages back, but it's a great culture and you can definitely get substantive work.

PM me for specific questions (thoughts depend on where you'd be working).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Labrador911

New

Post by Labrador911 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:08 pm

AF making calls now

XOctavianX

New

Post by XOctavianX » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:33 am

Army results are up

(Been following this forum for years but third time for application was the charm for me!)

I was accepted into the Army JAG Reserve!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:53 am

GOT ACCEPTED INTO ARMY RESERVE JAG CORPS.!

Selected as an alternate but super excited. Congrats to fellow selectees and keep your head up to those who didn't get in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 am

Quick question. If selected as an alternate, what are chances of being elevated for Army Reserve JAG slot? Also, if not selected, does being selected as an alternate this time increase my chances of being selected in future boards?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”