Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Houzy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Houzy wrote:If years past is any indication, I have a hunch GLP/OYCP calls will start going out Friday.
Calls going out now. Got picked up for OYCP.

3.4x GPA
T25 School
URM
164 LSAT
Have you gotten an official email yet?
No, still waiting to hear from JAX. Only notice I received was from the SJA I interviewed with. Same for one of my friends that was selected. Not sure how long it typically takes for JAX to get in contact with us. Can anyone that was selected in prior years chime in?

Additionally, they changed the maximum weight for ROTC since the time I applied (reduced the maximum by about 20 lbs., same change has not yet been made to AD). I was barely qualified when I applied, now I'm about 20 lbs over the max. Anyone know how this will impact me? I know I need to drop to the new maximum (or be within taping regs), but does that need to happen by FT, or when I go for a physical, or when I contract in the fall? Any input on how much time I have would be great. (I'm already taking steps to lose the weight, but if I only have until the physical then I might have to take more extreme measures)

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:35 pm

Anyone have experience with AF internship? I'm going to Hickam which is awesome but trying to figure out logistics of housing is slightly more difficult from 3000 miles away lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 pm

joeytribbiani wrote:Anyone have experience with AF internship? I'm going to Hickam which is awesome but trying to figure out logistics of housing is slightly more difficult from 3000 miles away lol
When did you hear back about your internship offer, if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
joeytribbiani wrote:Anyone have experience with AF internship? I'm going to Hickam which is awesome but trying to figure out logistics of housing is slightly more difficult from 3000 miles away lol
When did you hear back about your internship offer, if you don't mind me asking?
Last Friday (2/23)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Last Friday (2/23)
Did you do the internship or the externship?

Also, did you ever get an email saying your application was referred?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:57 pm

You will be assigned a sponsor at the base - they will be able to take care of those sorts of questions.

Congrats on landing an internship position at a great base. Have fun, but you know, not too much fun.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Houzy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Houzy wrote:If years past is any indication, I have a hunch GLP/OYCP calls will start going out Friday.
Calls going out now. Got picked up for OYCP.

3.4x GPA
T25 School
URM
164 LSAT
Have you gotten an official email yet?
No, still waiting to hear from JAX. Only notice I received was from the SJA I interviewed with. Same for one of my friends that was selected. Not sure how long it typically takes for JAX to get in contact with us. Can anyone that was selected in prior years chime in?

Additionally, they changed the maximum weight for ROTC since the time I applied (reduced the maximum by about 20 lbs., same change has not yet been made to AD). I was barely qualified when I applied, now I'm about 20 lbs over the max. Anyone know how this will impact me? I know I need to drop to the new maximum (or be within taping regs), but does that need to happen by FT, or when I go for a physical, or when I contract in the fall? Any input on how much time I have would be great. (I'm already taking steps to lose the weight, but if I only have until the physical then I might have to take more extreme measures)
Congrats. JAX will contact you within a month with some paperwork to sign (basically a letter of intent) it’ll seem surprisingly informal. You’ll sign and date and return the paperwork and probably not talk to them again until after graduation haha. You’ll want to be passing a PFA before you go to field training. Don’t worry about how much time you have, just start grinding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 pm

I was also recently accepted to the JAG OYCP, but like some on here, I have only received a call.

I am wondering when we are told to go to MEPS and what the typical start dates are for OYCP field training? I was told they decreased field training down to 13 days this year which can range from June-August.

I have also heard a rumor that we may have to pay for our own uniforms that can be pretty expensive. Does anyone who went through OYCP know anything about this?

Lastly, it's my understanding the OYCP students will go to JAG school after law school graduation. I assume this is after the bar exam?

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was also recently accepted to the JAG OYCP, but like some on here, I have only received a call.

I am wondering when we are told to go to MEPS and what the typical start dates are for OYCP field training? I was told they decreased field training down to 13 days this year which can range from June-August.

I have also heard a rumor that we may have to pay for our own uniforms that can be pretty expensive. Does anyone who went through OYCP know anything about this?

Lastly, it's my understanding the OYCP students will go to JAG school after law school graduation. I assume this is after the bar exam?

Thanks!!
Field training will be just that period anytime they can fit you in for a spot. It will vary for all OYCP.

You do have to pay for your uniforms. You get like $400 back though. When I did it, it was about $1400 for uniforms.

Jag school will be after law school, after bar exam, and after passing the bar. You most likely will in process at your base before going to jag school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was also recently accepted to the JAG OYCP, but like some on here, I have only received a call.

Thanks!!
Field training will be just that period anytime they can fit you in for a spot. It will vary for all OYCP.

You do have to pay for your uniforms. You get like $400 back though. When I did it, it was about $1400 for uniforms.

Jag school will be after law school, after bar exam, and after passing the bar. You most likely will in process at your base before going to jag school.
This is spot on.

The uniforms are indeed out of pocket and very expensive. ABUs, boots, service dress, mess dres, etc - it all adds up pretty quickly. You will get a one time stipend but that only covers a small fraction of your costs. It is all tax deductible if you itemize.

The JAG School (AFJAGS) has several JASOC courses throughout the year. Depending on the timing of your bar results and when JASOC is scheduled, you may indeed report to your permanent duty station for weeks/months before attending JASOC. This all happens once you are sworn in to your bar and your orders can get spun up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

Was picked up for OYCP but haven't heard anything about an internship/externship. From what I've heard, if you've been picked up through GLP/OYCP they don't usually give those selected internship/externships because those are typically reserved to entice people to apply. I just kind of assumed if you were picked up for OYCP you would get an internship but after hearing that, it also makes sense that you wouldn't get one.

Can anybody comment on this?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:38 am

Anybody happen to know how to submit a National Guard JAG app?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 am

Accidentally posted anon a moment ago. My bad. No need to be anon for that question mods.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Anybody happen to know how to submit a National Guard JAG app?
IME its best to find a NG JAG who might know. I have a friend in the PA NG who was able to set me up with the JAG accessions chief after I made no inroads barking up the regular NG recruiting channel. That said, those normal channels (from the website, etc) are probably the place to start.

BigBeef

New

Post by BigBeef » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:33 pm

-Removed-
Last edited by BigBeef on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:38 pm

@Patrick, I just found out I got picked up for the AF internship (I suppose I was an alternate because I seem to be hearing quite late, but hey I'll certainly not complain!)

It seems the only bases left are "Dover, Whiteman, Eglin, Hurlburt, Ellsworth, F.E. Warren, Holloman, Mountain Home, Fairchild, Kirtland, Maxwell, McConnell, Minot, Offutt, and Vance."

Do you have any advice on choosing among these? I am specifically interested in contracting/acquisitions law if that makes any difference, though I'm not sure how much of that stuff interns get to deal with.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@Patrick, I just found out I got picked up for the AF internship (I suppose I was an alternate because I seem to be hearing quite late, but hey I'll certainly not complain!)

It seems the only bases left are "Dover, Whiteman, Eglin, Hurlburt, Ellsworth, F.E. Warren, Holloman, Mountain Home, Fairchild, Kirtland, Maxwell, McConnell, Minot, Offutt, and Vance."

Do you have any advice on choosing among these? I am specifically interested in contracting/acquisitions law if that makes any difference, though I'm not sure how much of that stuff interns get to deal with.
BigBeef:

Congrats on the internship selection!

So obviously some of these bases are in more geographically desirable locations than others - that said, I'm not going to weigh in on geography as that is subjective and not the info you appear to be looking for.

If you are a procurement/contracting/acquisitions guy/gal, Eglin I think is your only real pick. It is the only AFMC base (I think - Kirkland used to be but is now under Global Strike -- that said, I imagine they still have a large contracting operation there) and therefore your best shot at contracts. It is also in a good location (Destin, FL) and basically neighbors with Hurlburt.

All the other bases are actually pretty well rounded in terms of mission and would give you a very good sense of what serving as a JAG would be like. I would cross Maxwell off because it is generally slow and all officer training - you might get the chance to interact with AFJAGS faculty, which would be a plus, but I think the day to day at the 42nd wouldn't be super exciting. Don't go to Vance - Enid, OK is absolutely awful and the base is not worth it.

If I were you, I'd also seriously consider Hurlburt -- it is the home of AFSOC and they do some amazing shit (biased as I am now on my second AFSOC assignment). 1 SOW could lend itself to some truly interesting contracting things given the mission they support (and the money for SOCOM type contracts is almost limitless, so it would be some truly unique stuff). End of the day, you will be fine at any of them. My internship was at Wright-Patterson, great for contracting and awful for justice. I went on to do a whole bunch of justice when on AD just the same. The internship give some some great experiences and that legal office had some amazing military and civilians in it. So while it could be great to dovetail the internship base's mission with your own interests, that is not the end goal of the internship - the full immersion is.

Let me know where you end up if you want - I'm happy to give you some background on the base if I can. It looks like PMs no longer exist under the new ownership, so you can feel free to email at Illini.JAG@gmail.com

Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Not familiar with the internship process for AF, so bear with me. Applications for 1Ls were due Feb 12. In years past, it seems like your application would go from "received" to "reviewed" or "referred," and this process would take a few weeks. I submitted an application on USAjobs Feb 12, but it still says "received." However, it seems like quite a few people here have already received AF internship offers. Is it possible they changed the internship process this year? Based on previous years, I was expecting to wait at least until the end of March to hear anything one way or the other.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Was picked up for OYCP but haven't heard anything about an internship/externship. From what I've heard, if you've been picked up through GLP/OYCP they don't usually give those selected internship/externships because those are typically reserved to entice people to apply. I just kind of assumed if you were picked up for OYCP you would get an internship but after hearing that, it also makes sense that you wouldn't get one.

Any way you could comment on this? @Patrick

Houzy

New

Post by Houzy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Got my official email from HQ/JAX about GLP. So honored to have this opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was picked up for OYCP but haven't heard anything about an internship/externship. From what I've heard, if you've been picked up through GLP/OYCP they don't usually give those selected internship/externships because those are typically reserved to entice people to apply. I just kind of assumed if you were picked up for OYCP you would get an internship but after hearing that, it also makes sense that you wouldn't get one.

I’m in the GLP and had simultaneously applied to the internship. AF rejected my internship application and the reasoning they gave me was the internships are recruiting tools so unless things have changed you won’t likely be eligible for an AF JAG internship. Now that being said, I networked with some local Army NG Legal folks and they offered me an externship knowing I was going Air Force so there are other opportunities you can pursue to still get some helpful Legal/JAG experience if you want to get creative.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Army DA from dec 17 board. Has anyone been able to get any responses from JARO via email or returned calls. Any idea when web site will be up and running

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I did not go through GLP/OYCP, so I do not have any first hand knowledge here. I agree with the poster above me in which a selectee for GLP would not be also picked up for the internship. Active duty officers that go through FLEP/ELP will intern at base legal offices (or in AFLOA/DC region) during their summers but I do not believe that applies to GLP/OYCP.

For these sort of program specific questions, you are all better off just giving JAX a call. They have a great staff that is there to help with questions like this.

Good luck and a sincere congrats on your selection!

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Army DA from dec 17 board. Has anyone been able to get any responses from JARO via email or returned calls. Any idea when web site will be up and running
I was wondering the same.

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:43 am

prezidentv8 wrote:Anybody happen to know how to submit a National Guard JAG app?
Each state is different, although they all go through the same selection board process held every 2-3 months. Each state should have a specialty branch recruiter - you should be able to find out their contact info from Googling - call them and get the lowdown.

For me, I called around a few different states and asked if they were recruiting JAs. I called basically every state in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast, and found that at the time of my application (last year), only two states had available slots, and one of them had a more dire need, so I went with that one. After that, you just start assembling your packet with the recruiter for the national board, which is on paper. The only in-person stuff I had to do was a very informal interview with a JAG colonel in my state, followed by some physical exams. It helped that I was already in the Guard as an officer, so I had to do less admin stuff. I had to wait a few months for board selection results (which are posted on JARO), but once I got selected I had to go in front of an in-person board, called a federal recognition board, for a more formal interview. Once I got the nod on that, which was immediate, I commissioned as a JA. The total process took about a year, although there was some delay associated with late paperwork and just missing a national board.

The one takeaway I had from the whole thing was that since it's mainly a state-driven process, your application is wholly in the hands of the specialty branch recruiter, and it behooves you to stay on top of them to make sure paperwork is being submitted. I had to constantly be available to them if they needed anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”