Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone has/receives any info on the AF October selection results, please keep us posted!
Just wanted to let you know that I got a phone call from the SJA I interviewed with for the November 1st DAP Board earlier today telling me I was selected for AF JAG so results are coming out!

Best of luck to you if you applied!!
Congrats on your selection! Has anyone else heard one way or the other yet? Got dinged in Sept. and received an email but still nothing on Nov. results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:35 pm

I have not heard either way yet. :fingers crossed: No email or call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am

Calls are going out and should be finished by the end of the day on Monday. So, uh, Happy Waitsgiving?

Rocky123

New

Post by Rocky123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Calls are going out and should be finished by the end of the day on Monday. So, uh, Happy Waitsgiving?
No call or e-mail for me either. This assures I will have my phone attached at the hip through the weekend until I know one way or the other. Hoping the fact that I haven't received an e-mail yet is a good sign???? Hard to know!

catz1

New

Post by catz1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Just got the call from my interviewer that I was selected. Good luck everyone!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Rocky123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Calls are going out and should be finished by the end of the day on Monday. So, uh, Happy Waitsgiving?
No call or e-mail for me either. This assures I will have my phone attached at the hip through the weekend until I know one way or the other. Hoping the fact that I haven't received an e-mail yet is a good sign???? Hard to know!
Just got a call from the SJA I interviewed with telling me I was selected! Had literally just texted someone "happy waitsgiving to me" when the phone rang.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:10 pm

I called my SJA, (we had a good rapport), and they have not received any information yet. Either that is good for me because not out of the running yet, or maybe it is bad news? Maybe their office didn't get news because none of their interviewees were selected?

A tense Waitsgiving here :|

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:51 am

howell wrote:Is there an announcement of the COT/TFOT changes anywhere?
Not that I have seen - however, I mentioned this to friends who are in SJA/DSJA roles and they were aware of the change.

Legaleagle21

New

Post by Legaleagle21 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 am

For those accepted to GLP, did you wait until first semester grades were out and attacg those to your application, or did you apply without grades? Deadline is Jan 10 and law school transcript is required, but somewhere it said Nov/Dec completion is preferred.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:25 pm

Has anyone else heard back from AF yet for the direct appointment board? Kind of strange how some people have heard and some haven't. Is the Monday deadline mentioned above a concrete deadline or just a suggestion? Thanks y'all.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Legaleagle21 wrote:For those accepted to GLP, did you wait until first semester grades were out and attacg those to your application, or did you apply without grades? Deadline is Jan 10 and law school transcript is required, but somewhere it said Nov/Dec completion is preferred.
tl;dr - Go ahead and apply whenever (before the deadline, obvs); you'll submit your grades later.

I have never heard that Nov/Dec completion dates are preferred from a selection standpoint. The only real advantage I can think of for the applicant would be to submit early in case you intend to interview at a base with a lot of applicants. Getting in early would possibly give you more choice in interview dates. For GLP, I doubt that will be an issue hardly anywhere.

The SJA will always appreciate an early application, because they can go ahead, get you scheduled, and get you out of the way. But it would blow my mind if an SJA let that affect their recommendation in any way.

I would be shocked if any school got your grades back by 10 Jan. Every GLPer I have known applies and then submits the transcript when the grades come in.

Has this thread ever covered advice specifically for GLP applicants? I can't recall. It's a really great program, but I have a much easier time telling law students how to prepare over the course of their law school career than I do providing insight as to what the JAG Corps is looking for (beyond the normal stuff we've covered). I know what I, personally, would look at, but my opinion only goes so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else heard back from AF yet for the direct appointment board? Kind of strange how some people have heard and some haven't. Is the Monday deadline mentioned above a concrete deadline or just a suggestion? Thanks y'all.
Monday is not a concrete deadline, but it is when calls were supposed to be made. Considering the holidays, I imagine there are no guarantees. There is still hope until you receive a dreaded e-mail!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else heard back from AF yet for the direct appointment board? Kind of strange how some people have heard and some haven't. Is the Monday deadline mentioned above a concrete deadline or just a suggestion? Thanks y'all.
Monday is not a concrete deadline, but it is when calls were supposed to be made. Considering the holidays, I imagine there are no guarantees. There is still hope until you receive a dreaded e-mail!
Honestly, I could really use a nice call from an SJA today or next. Here's to hoping!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:54 pm

howell wrote:
Legaleagle21 wrote:For those accepted to GLP, did you wait until first semester grades were out and attacg those to your application, or did you apply without grades? Deadline is Jan 10 and law school transcript is required, but somewhere it said Nov/Dec completion is preferred.
tl;dr - Go ahead and apply whenever (before the deadline, obvs); you'll submit your grades later.

I have never heard that Nov/Dec completion dates are preferred from a selection standpoint. The only real advantage I can think of for the applicant would be to submit early in case you intend to interview at a base with a lot of applicants. Getting in early would possibly give you more choice in interview dates. For GLP, I doubt that will be an issue hardly anywhere.

The SJA will always appreciate an early application, because they can go ahead, get you scheduled, and get you out of the way. But it would blow my mind if an SJA let that affect their recommendation in any way.

I would be shocked if any school got your grades back by 10 Jan. Every GLPer I have known applies and then submits the transcript when the grades come in.

Has this thread ever covered advice specifically for GLP applicants? I can't recall. It's a really great program, but I have a much easier time telling law students how to prepare over the course of their law school career than I do providing insight as to what the JAG Corps is looking for (beyond the normal stuff we've covered). I know what I, personally, would look at, but my opinion only goes so far.
Howell, thanks for the reply. I’ve been reading this thread for a couple weeks as I’ve been getting my GLP application together. Recently had my detachment interview and currently am waiting on a couple rec letters. The advice in this forum has been very helpful.

Does anyone know if I’m correct in understanding that all rec letters, UG transcript, LSAT report, etc are uploaded by each applicant into the application portal? I’m wondering because it feels weird to ask a recommender to send me a pdf of their letter given that for UG and LS applications students usually don’t ever see the letters; they’re sent directly to common app or LSAC.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Does anyone know if I’m correct in understanding that all rec letters, UG transcript, LSAT report, etc are uploaded by each applicant into the application portal? I’m wondering because it feels weird to ask a recommender to send me a pdf of their letter given that for UG and LS applications students usually don’t ever see the letters; they’re sent directly to common app or LSAC.
I believe you are correct. I haven't logged into the system as an applicant, so I'm not sure what your instructions exactly are, but every applicant I have seen recently has uploaded their own letters. If you think a recommender might prefer to send an LOR separately, I would give JAX a call and see what they recommend.

I also uploaded my LORs. It was a little awkward, but most recommenders really don't mind you seeing what they wrote.

JAHopeful

New

Post by JAHopeful » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I called my SJA, (we had a good rapport), and they have not received any information yet. Either that is good for me because not out of the running yet, or maybe it is bad news? Maybe their office didn't get news because none of their interviewees were selected?

A tense Waitsgiving here :|
I also contacted my SJA and he said the same thing — no news. Have you heard anything back from yours?

Rocky123

New

Post by Rocky123 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I really thought I would be waking up to an e-mail this morning. Still haven't heard anything yet! Keep us posted, people! Are they still making calls? This has been a long wait.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Calls rolling out for the Navy Fall SP Board. Selected this morning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Army JAG 208th JAOBC checking in! For those of you who submitted the preference sheet last week, have you heard—or do you know when we can expect to hear—about assignment locations?

Looking forward to Jan!

wrangler9

New

Post by wrangler9 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Army JAG 208th JAOBC checking in! For those of you who submitted the preference sheet last week, have you heard—or do you know when we can expect to hear—about assignment locations?

Looking forward to Jan!

I was wondering the same thing! I hope we hear back soon! Can’t wait to start!

whiterabbit88

New

Post by whiterabbit88 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:54 pm

I got notified last Tuesday (11/20) from the AF SJA that interviewed me that I was selected. 7th or 8th time applying (I stopped keeping track). I got an e-mail yesterday confirming and explaining the next steps.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

csjdoc

New

Post by csjdoc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Army JAG 208th JAOBC checking in! For those of you who submitted the preference sheet last week, have you heard—or do you know when we can expect to hear—about assignment locations?

Looking forward to Jan!
I haven’t heard anything either. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

See you in January!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:44 pm

JAHopeful wrote:I also contacted my SJA and he said the same thing — no news. Have you heard anything back from yours?
I have not received an email, letter, or phone call. I wish the results would just be handed out at the same time for everyone. :?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi all,

I am a current 3L (been browsing this thread for years, but have never needed to ask a new question.) I was selected by the Air Force for Direct Appointment in the November board as of last week, and found out today that I was Professionally Recommended for Navy as well. I never expected to have two offers, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions (anecdotal or otherwise) on which branch may be the better choice. Thank you all in advance for any help!

Note: I can easily pass the physical fitness requirements for both branches, so that is not an issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 am

How long did each give you to let them know?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”