Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
usn26

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by usn26 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:An employee peer-pressured me into inhaling a hit of marijuana while on a lunch break, and I foolishly took a single breath. I immediately realized that what I had done was incredibly stupid and irresponsible, and I walked away from the interaction before anything else could take place. In the coming weeks, I refused all subsequent offers from my fellow employee, but when he was fired, he implicated me as well, and my boss had no choice but to fire me.

My main question is the following: assuming good law school grades, moot court/Mock Trial experience, a criminal law clinic, etc., what are my prospects of getting accepted as a USAF JAG? Obviously I would disclose all this info, include the recommendation letter, and demonstrate my very real remorse in a personal statement. How much would this hurt me? Is this something the board could look past if it was obvious that I wanted to serve, and that this incident wasn't representative of me as a person?
It's a truism, but obviously it'd be better not to have this than to have this. Also, I'm having some trouble with the bolded. I understand getting peer-pressured, especially at that age, so it's not a big deal so long as you don't present it that way to anyone who matters (take 100% accountability). I'm also not sure under what circumstances a boss would be 'forced' to fire someone he had such a high opinion of over such a minor matter, but okay. Not beyond the realm of possibility.

The pertinent USAF application question is phrased like so, with the opportunity (and requirement) to provide explanatory information:
"2. Have you ever used or experimented with marijuana? (Prior marijuana use is not disqualifying for enlistment or appointment, unless you are determined to be a chronic user or psychologically dependent, have been convicted or adversely adjudicated for marijuana involvement. Preservice marijuana use may render you ineligible for certain skills.)"

It's a competitive process and this will put you at *some* degree of disadvantage, but people have smoked and gotten picked up before. All you can do is put your head down and keep your nose clean and put together the most compelling package you are capable of.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:46 am

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:An employee peer-pressured me into inhaling a hit of marijuana while on a lunch break, and I foolishly took a single breath. I immediately realized that what I had done was incredibly stupid and irresponsible, and I walked away from the interaction before anything else could take place. In the coming weeks, I refused all subsequent offers from my fellow employee, but when he was fired, he implicated me as well, and my boss had no choice but to fire me.

My main question is the following: assuming good law school grades, moot court/Mock Trial experience, a criminal law clinic, etc., what are my prospects of getting accepted as a USAF JAG? Obviously I would disclose all this info, include the recommendation letter, and demonstrate my very real remorse in a personal statement. How much would this hurt me? Is this something the board could look past if it was obvious that I wanted to serve, and that this incident wasn't representative of me as a person?
It's a truism, but obviously it'd be better not to have this than to have this. Also, I'm having some trouble with the bolded. I understand getting peer-pressured, especially at that age, so it's not a big deal so long as you don't present it that way to anyone who matters (take 100% accountability). I'm also not sure under what circumstances a boss would be 'forced' to fire someone he had such a high opinion of over such a minor matter, but okay. Not beyond the realm of possibility.

The pertinent USAF application question is phrased like so, with the opportunity (and requirement) to provide explanatory information:
"2. Have you ever used or experimented with marijuana? (Prior marijuana use is not disqualifying for enlistment or appointment, unless you are determined to be a chronic user or psychologically dependent, have been convicted or adversely adjudicated for marijuana involvement. Preservice marijuana use may render you ineligible for certain skills.)"

It's a competitive process and this will put you at *some* degree of disadvantage, but people have smoked and gotten picked up before. All you can do is put your head down and keep your nose clean and put together the most compelling package you are capable of.
USN nailed it here. When you disclose it, don't disclose it as "I was peer pressured." They're going to look at that and go, "C'mon dude. You're 22, not 14."

I'd also strongly, strongly, strongly suggest you consider doing some time in the Air Force before law school. I really can't overstate the benefits.

1. It'll make your JAG packet that much more competitive. Prior service is a nice boost.
2. You'll find out whether you actually enjoy being in the military.
3. You'll earn the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which means free law school.
4. If you get picked up for active duty OCS, you can apply to the FLEP program while you're an active duty officer. If you get picked up, that means free law school + guaranteed JAG spot when you graduate. FLEPs are some of the most relaxed people in law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 pm

How do we start the medical waiver process? How long does it take to start and what does it consist of?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice from folks here on how to best utilize SLRP? Did you just start paying the most you can after commissioning and just take the SLRP as it came? Did you wait until all the SLRP payments were made to start paying on the principal? Combo of the 10yr payment plan/loan forgiveness and SLRP? Interested to hear the strategies people have tried.
I can't cover everything here, but the big considerations are how much you owe, what your tax situation is, and your desire to stay in PSLF-qualifying employment.

First, a few things about SLRP. It says $65,000, but it's not. The payments (in the AF) are limited to 1/3 of your outstanding principal. AFI 51-1302, Figure 3.1, lays out a scenario of someone initially owning $90,000. Even at that amount, the caps prevent full access to the $65,000, and that, combined with the federal withholdings, caps the actual payments to the lender at ~$44k.

The federal withholdings are automatic. How much of those withholdings you get back depends on your tax situation. If you're the lone breadwinner, you might get a lot of that back. If you're deployed for an extended period during the year you're earning one of those payments, you might get back a lot more of it. But if you take the money, understand you might pay taxes on it which, if you're taking PSLF, might mean you're paying money to receive payments on loans that will go to zero at 10 years anyway.

For example, if you owe $200,000, the ~$50k in payments you might get from JA-SLRP might not be enough to get the loan paid off in less than 10 years. Then you just paid several thousand in taxes for nothing. If you owe $75k or less, it will take out a much bigger chunk, allowing you to pay off the loans earlier. Either scenario depends on your willingness to be tied to a PSLF-qualifying job. Sometimes taking the money so you have the freedom to know you've taken a bite out of your loans if you decide to go a different route is very liberating.

Taking the payments can also raise your IBR payments, depending on what you do. Thee JA-SLRP money could cost you even more beyond the tax burden. If I recall correctly, however, the AF advocated requesting your IBR payments be calculated on a change of income rather than by using your AGI. Thus, you would submit a pay stub saying this is what you currently make and essentially exclude the JA-SLRP payments from the IBR calculation.

It's worth noting that we have some of the best possible jobs for IBR, especially if you're the breadwinner. Our only "income" is our base pay, but we also get paid BAH & BAS on top of that, which can work out to being a couple grand per month tax-free. For example, at 4.5 years in, my take-home (before TSP deductions) is a little over $6k per month in Tucson, AZ. $72k a year after taxes with a $200-300 IBR payment in a low cost-of-living city is better than a lot of other IBR situations. Actually, I bring home more than that - I usually end up getting a couple grand back at tax time, so I could do a lot better at managing my withholdings.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:23 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote: I'd also strongly, strongly, strongly suggest you consider doing some time in the Air Force before law school. I really can't overstate the benefits.

1. It'll make your JAG packet that much more competitive. Prior service is a nice boost.
2. You'll find out whether you actually enjoy being in the military.
3. You'll earn the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which means free law school.
4. If you get picked up for active duty OCS, you can apply to the FLEP program while you're an active duty officer. If you get picked up, that means free law school + guaranteed JAG spot when you graduate. FLEPs are some of the most relaxed people in law school.
Given the volume of folks with zero military background that come across this thread, I wanted to add my two cents on this.

For the prior service (and current AD that enter the JAGC via FLEP/ELP), there are indeed a lot of benefits. In my personal experience, their prior time can make them excellent JAGs . The Post 9/11 GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program, and other perks that come with service can also make law school a far more affordable experience.

That said, for most civilians that are considering serving as a JAG, I can't really recommend joining up for a four year active duty commitment as the right step to test the waters of military service. That is a very long time for one to find out if they actually enjoy being in the military. It can indeed make an applicant more competitive, assuming they do not pick up any bad paper and earn outstanding performance reports. To even begin the process is a massive time commitment with lots of chance for failure for someone pursing a commission via OTS/OCS.

Even for a successful active duty officer in a non-JAG career field, the odds for selection into Air Force FLEP are not great - it has been anywhere from 2-6 applicants selected in any given year. For those that can do everything right and get very lucky, serving as an active duty officer and getting selected for FLEP is an incredible opportunity - is still an extraordinary gamble in my opinion that is fraught with risk throughout.

For most of you out there that have no military background or meaningful concept of active duty service, I think the best bet is interning/externing at a base legal office, be it through the official program or one you set up yourself. It can give you the necessary immersion to know what you are signing up for while also giving you the chance to secure critically persuasive letters of recommendation (assuming you do a good job) that will help greatly with selection for active duty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Yeah, that's all fair. I guess it just depends on whether OP is interested in the military generally, or military law only. If the former, I'd still say try to do an AD stint before law school. Worst case scenario, you realize it's not for you and you go to law school at 26 with the Post 9/11.

ridethemedian

New

Post by ridethemedian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi,
I'm a long time lurker who has decided to make a run at JAG. Through my research I feel like Army would be the best fit, but I will likely also apply to Navy and AF. If anyone could take a look at my stats and give me some pointers on things to emphasize and improve for upcoming interviews I would appreciate it. Although I can express confidence in my ability to meet the physical requirements, live the lifestyle and show commitment to service, I worry that my academic stats are a weakness. Part of my interest in JAG in the first place is that I think that the lifestyle would allow me to excel in a way that I haven't always done academically.

3L
3.2 GPA, median ranked at T2 law school. I'm working on my law review write on currently (fingers crossed) and can point to A's in advocacy and criminal procedure classes. I worked 2 semesters at state AG offices and currently work at a private full service civil firm where I do a lot of real work.
I'm on the board of our school's ACLU chapter.
I was an All American and team captain of a varsity sport at a D1 school. I exercise daily and will have no problems with the physical requirements. No military family or prior military background.

I will also be married prior to receiving bar results. Any thoughts or perspectives from active-duty or recently commissioned that are in long term relationships?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:02 am

ridethemedian wrote:Hi,
I'm a long time lurker who has decided to make a run at JAG. Through my research I feel like Army would be the best fit, but I will likely also apply to Navy and AF. If anyone could take a look at my stats and give me some pointers on things to emphasize and improve for upcoming interviews I would appreciate it. Although I can express confidence in my ability to meet the physical requirements, live the lifestyle and show commitment to service, I worry that my academic stats are a weakness. Part of my interest in JAG in the first place is that I think that the lifestyle would allow me to excel in a way that I haven't always done academically.

3L
3.2 GPA, median ranked at T2 law school. I'm working on my law review write on currently (fingers crossed) and can point to A's in advocacy and criminal procedure classes. I worked 2 semesters at state AG offices and currently work at a private full service civil firm where I do a lot of real work.
I was an All American and team captain of a varsity sport at a D1 school. I exercise daily and will have no problems with the physical requirements. No military family or prior military background.

I will also be married prior to receiving bar results. Any thoughts or perspectives from active-duty or recently commissioned that are in long term relationships?
You should be reasonably competitive. It's good that you're primarily interested in the Army, since the Army takes by far the most people. I think being a former college athlete will be very helpful. In addition to demonstrating physical fitness, it can also be evidence of other stuff the military will appreciate: leadership, teamwork, etc.

You might be a bit behind the curve since you haven't interned with the military at all, and as a rising 3L it's a bit late. You'll want to have a compelling personal statement that explains why you're interested in the military. You don't want them to get the sense that you struck out in the private sector and the military is your fall back option.

As to being married, that's hard to answer. Lots of people in the military are married, obviously, myself included. But it can take a toll on relationships. Is your fiance prepared to deal with you being gone for a few months at a time for training? For a year if you have to deploy? Is he/she aware that you will be living wherever the military tells you to live, even if that is inconvenient for his/her career? It's very doable, but these are the things you should be thinking through and discussing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:43 am

Hi,

3L

I just graduated. I was median at a school ranked 45-60 and had a D on my transcript (unheard of where the curve is 3.3). I didn't apply until my 3L year for Army or Navy -and had no internship. I got dinged from the Navy for the Fall 2016 cycle and then PR'd as an alternate in Spring 2017. I got into the Army alternate list, and they ended up taking me (as I believe they did with most people on the alternate list). This is purely anecdotal and just meant to let you know that you should let them reject you before you reject yourself. Put your best foot forward with a polished application!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:49 am

Quick question for Army active duty folks-

If DODMERB gives you qualified -what's the process to for US ARMY HRC Surgeon’s Office (CSO) to give you "meets appointment standards." Basically, is it with high confidence you can get the "meet appointment standards" if you get a "qualified?"

ChristianR

New

Post by ChristianR » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 am

Strategy-related question here.

I'm a rising 2L seriously considering AF JAG, and I'm looking hard at the OYCP or a 2L AF internship. Hiring for those doesn't start for awhile. However, OCI is imminently upon us. I'm not gonna lie, I don't really want to work for a firm (or at least I don't want to get sucked into it this early), but I don't want to pass up opportunities only to get screwed over later. My question is: if I accept a summer associate offer at OCI, is it problematic to renege on that 6 months later for an AF JAG opportunity? Would I be required ethically to disclose that I'd previously accepted another offer during my AF interview? Would it make me look untrustworthy to the AF (or any branch) if I told them about my plan to turn down the 1st offer if I got something from JAG? I really wouldn't want to lie, obviously.

This is important because it will play a huge role in whether I even do OCI or not. Our OCI is like 95% biglaw firms.

Thanks for this and all your help on this thread!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
ridethemedian wrote:Hi,

3L

You should be reasonably competitive. It's good that you're primarily interested in the Army, since the Army takes by far the most people. I think being a former college athlete will be very helpful. In addition to demonstrating physical fitness, it can also be evidence of other stuff the military will appreciate: leadership, teamwork, etc.

You might be a bit behind the curve since you haven't interned with the military at all, and as a rising 3L it's a bit late. You'll want to have a compelling personal statement that explains why you're interested in the military. You don't want them to get the sense that you struck out in the private sector and the military is your fall back option.

As to being married, that's hard to answer. Lots of people in the military are married, obviously, myself included. But it can take a toll on relationships. Is your fiance prepared to deal with you being gone for a few months at a time for training? For a year if you have to deploy? Is he/she aware that you will be living wherever the military tells you to live, even if that is inconvenient for his/her career? It's very doable, but these are the things you should be thinking through and discussing.
As usual, SpanishMain is on point in his response here. From my AF perspective, my response is basically the same.

Prior athlete in a leadership role is a very good thing - even the Chair Force viewed my time as a collegiate athlete (and in a leadership role) as a strong plus on my application. Your time at the AG office will help in terms of the demonstrating an interest in public service but as noted before, the lack of any demonstrated military interest/background is a disadvantage (but one that can overcome). Be ready to sell why you want to serve as a JAG and why you want to do it in that particular service.

In terms of being married while serving - nothing to add to SpanishMain on this. Your partner needs to be 100% on board with realistic expectations, both in what service will mean for you and what it will mean for him/her (for example, depending on their career, you may end up being stationed in locations where it may be basically impossible for them to do what they had been doing.) Same with family planning - you all thinking of kids? You might not be there for important or difficult times.

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question for Army active duty folks-

If DODMERB gives you qualified -what's the process to for US ARMY HRC Surgeon’s Office (CSO) to give you "meets appointment standards." Basically, is it with high confidence you can get the "meet appointment standards" if you get a "qualified?"

I would love to know the answer to this as well. DOMERB qualified me in April and I have all of my other documentation submitted, just waiting on the CSO to clear me. Hoping to make the October class...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

professorvoltron

New

Post by professorvoltron » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 am

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

I would love to know the answer to this as well. DOMERB qualified me in April and I have all of my other documentation submitted, just waiting on the CSO to clear me. Hoping to make the October class...
Did you not get the emails from Jaro?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:59 am

professorvoltron wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

Nothing since April 28th -I know the JARO website said it takes 1.5 months or so but I was just wondering if previous classes could shed light

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
professorvoltron wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

Nothing since April 28th -I know the JARO website said it takes 1.5 months or so but I was just wondering if previous classes could shed light
I'm assuming this is for AD? RC got information about a week ago, and from the sound of things, all the October students know who they are now and will likely be commissioning in the next few weeks; those not going to DCC until January will commission around November.

Swooshe

New

Post by Swooshe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:45 pm

PB, thanks so much for all your advice on this thread. I'm a 1L (should I say rising 2L?) and was just accepted for AFJAG's fall externships. You've described how the summer internship is often a path to actually becoming a JAG, being both a huge plus for the selection board and a chance to network and get relevant experience. To your knowledge, are the externships similarly helpful (that is, beyond the chance to form some actual relationships with JAGs)? I assume they aren't nearly as competitive as the paid internships, so I'm not sure how the board would factor that in. I plan to apply in January for the one year program regardless, and your posts have been very influential in that decision!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
professorvoltron wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

I'm assuming this is for AD? RC got information about a week ago, and from the sound of things, all the October students know who they are now and will likely be commissioning in the next few weeks; those not going to DCC until January will commission around November.
Yes AD...haven't heard anything since April

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Swooshe wrote:PB, thanks so much for all your advice on this thread. I'm a 1L (should I say rising 2L?) and was just accepted for AFJAG's fall externships. You've described how the summer internship is often a path to actually becoming a JAG, being both a huge plus for the selection board and a chance to network and get relevant experience. To your knowledge, are the externships similarly helpful (that is, beyond the chance to form some actual relationships with JAGs)? I assume they aren't nearly as competitive as the paid internships, so I'm not sure how the board would factor that in. I plan to apply in January for the one year program regardless, and your posts have been very influential in that decision!
Glad you have found the forum helpful!

To answer your question - yes, the externships are helpful in the same way the internships are. In my opinion, the true value of the intern/extern experience is the opportunity for a "try out" in an active duty office. The JAGs can evaluate how you fit in and conduct yourself. If you are someone that works hard, plays well with others, adapts to the military working environment, and has all the "soft" factors that can make a good officer down the road, that goes a long way in an SJA recommendation. I have seen letters of rec for interns that stress that the author would be happy to have this applicant be a first assignment JAG in their legal office when they are a DSJA/SJA - I have never been a part of the formal selection board process but I have to think that such a comment would carry a lot of weight.

I am sure there could be an argument that the paid summer internship carries some amount of greater weight because it is competitively selected - that said, I would not stress this. If the SJA says "my staff and I interacted with Swooshe for X weeks during their externship and he/she will make an outstanding JAG," I can't see the selection board getting too wrapped around the axle on paid v. unpaid. I can tell you personally that when I have done summer intern and honors hiring for my DOJ section, I do not care at all if their prior experience was an a paid or unpaid intern.

Saw the wood that is front of you and do not stress out about things that are outside of your control. You have a great opportunity as an extern - focus on getting as much out of it as you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do we start the medical waiver process? How long does it take to start and what does it consist of?
Anyone have any experience with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do we start the medical waiver process? How long does it take to start and what does it consist of?
Anyone have any experience with this?
My understanding (could be wrong!) after reading the AD Army flowchart material is that the waiver process is initiated automatically for JAGs -- Similar to how our medical status/review via HRC are (I presume, because I haven't heard anything otherwise) automatic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fletch.F.Fletch

New

Post by Fletch.F.Fletch » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:50 am

I got a medical DQ and will need a waiver for an absurd food allergy. Have not heard anything from Army JAG recruiting since the letter informing me of the DQ. The letter suggested JAG would be reaching out to me-- haven't heard anything.

Also, I haven't tried to access the site in 2 months, but is anyone else having trouble accessing the JAGC website? I get a security access error through Chrome on my mac.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 am

Fletch.F.Fletch wrote:I got a medical DQ and will need a waiver for an absurd food allergy. Have not heard anything from Army JAG recruiting since the letter informing me of the DQ. The letter suggested JAG would be reaching out to me-- haven't heard anything.

Also, I haven't tried to access the site in 2 months, but is anyone else having trouble accessing the JAGC website? I get a security access error through Chrome on my mac.
Had the same issue on my PC w/Firefox. Something about the website makes it "unsecure", so I had to go into my security settings and add an exception for the website when that screen popped up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I have experience with the Army Judge Advocate medical waiver process. When I went through it, I was sent an email listing the specific condition that required a waiver and was told to gather evidence to rebut the disqualification (i.e., show that the condition doesn't exist) and/or gather evidence to show that the disqualifying medical condition would not impact my performance. This evidence included letters from doctors, medical records, a personal statement, letters from work supervisors and letters from colleagues/people I go to the gym with. JARO provided me with samples. Feel free to PM for details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:22 pm

I have experience with the Army Judge Advocate medical waiver process. When I went through it, I was sent an email listing the specific condition that required a waiver and was told to gather evidence to rebut the disqualification (i.e., show that the condition doesn't exist) and/or gather evidence to show that the disqualifying medical condition would not impact my performance. This evidence included letters from doctors, medical records, a personal statement, letters from work supervisors and letters from colleagues/people I go to the gym with. JARO provided me with samples. Feel free to PM for details.[/quote]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”