Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
howell

Silver
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody who's been to JASOC at Maxwell AFB know what time the day usually ends? Is there usually time during the night to go to the fitness & wellness center -- or is time mostly spent doing reading/preparation for the next day's class?


It's a normal duty day - usually ends around 1630-1700. You will have plenty of time to hit the gym (which is just across from billeting and the school house) before or after class, and lunch if you are quick about it.

Some days you will have more prep and studying (like before the mock courts) but usually the homework part is pretty minimal.


What Patrick said.

I will add that you should check the hours of the gym(s). Maxwell has started doing what many bases have been doing - they limit the normal hours of the gym but grant 24/7 access through your CAC. This can be a pain if you're TDY and haven't had a chance to get them to set your CAC up. I think Maxwell shuts its gym down at about 2000 and closes it on the weekend to those without CAC access. It's even worse at Maxwell, because they lock up the free weights when they lock the doors. JASOC is long enough to get that worked out in the first week, but for those of us who travel regularly to random bases for short trips with a lot of work to do, it's made gyms semi-inaccessible at times.

Probably more of a rant than a warning.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 pm

Wanted to share this great week-by-week blog series regarding Army JAG DCC. It answered a lot of questions on what to expect. https://www.garrettham.com/army-dcc-1/

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all--I was in a bad situation at work during the past year and went to talk to a psychiatrist. He put me on anxiety pills (which seemed to be his go-to solution for anything--he didn't do any counseling in the couple of times I went to see him). I took them for a few weeks before I decided that that definitely wasn't what I needed and never renewed the prescription. I know that the rule is generally two years without meds, but is that something that can be waived/anyone have experience with whether the type of use I described has been waived for others?



Typically you can get a waiver for anxiety meds if you can show you can function normally for a year without. Get copies of all of the records (including pharmacy records), and I would ask the doctor to take you off the meds, instead of just deciding that you don't need them anymore (have him write a note or whatever). It really depends on who reviews your medical files. Sometimes they're more strict, sometimes they let things slide. But 1 year off the meds is the minimum.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First interview with Marine Corps JAG for a summer position is coming up. Any tips? As someone who has never served their country before, what should I expect?

Any help?

User avatar
usn26

Silver
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby usn26 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First interview with Marine Corps JAG for a summer position is coming up. Any tips? As someone who has never served their country before, what should I expect?

Any help?


I don't know anything about Marine interviews (or even that they did them), but just be squared away (arrive early, iron your shirt, etc), know what you're getting yourself into, and why you want to get yourself into it and you'll be fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:14 pm

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First interview with Marine Corps JAG for a summer position is coming up. Any tips? As someone who has never served their country before, what should I expect?

Any help?


I don't know anything about Marine interviews (or even that they did them), but just be squared away (arrive early, iron your shirt, etc), know what you're getting yourself into, and why you want to get yourself into it and you'll be fine.

Don't know a lot about the latter two lol. I submitted an app because I thought Marine JAG sounded cool. So do more research on JAG and articulate why I think it would be cool?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't know a lot about the latter two lol. I submitted an app because I thought Marine JAG sounded cool. So do more research on JAG and articulate why I think it would be cool?


Really dude? You are crowd-sourcing interview advice for the Marine Corps having done zero prep work beyond thinking it sounded cool?

Assuming this is not another Anon troll, I would look elsewhere as this may not be for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't know a lot about the latter two lol. I submitted an app because I thought Marine JAG sounded cool. So do more research on JAG and articulate why I think it would be cool?


Really dude? You are crowd-sourcing interview advice for the Marine Corps having done zero prep work beyond thinking it sounded cool?

Assuming this is not another Anon troll, I would look elsewhere as this may not be for you.



It is a troll. Marine Corps doesn't offer summer judge advocate positions to civilians. The only folks eligible for those are the ones that have been accepted and gone through Marine Corps OCS.

Fivedham

Bronze
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Fivedham » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

For ARNG/Reserve commissionees, how long does it usually take to get orders after your unit puts in the ATRRS reservation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:47 am

For base selection preferences for a new Air Force JAG, (understanding the Air Force probably just tosses these in the garbage) should one just go off of where sounds like the best place to live? If you’re new I’d imagine your work will be about the same regardless of the mission of the base you work at right? Is there such a thing as office culture specific to certain bases that one should consider?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:For base selection preferences for a new Air Force JAG, (understanding the Air Force probably just tosses these in the garbage) should one just go off of where sounds like the best place to live? If you’re new I’d imagine your work will be about the same regardless of the mission of the base you work at right? Is there such a thing as office culture specific to certain bases that one should consider?


Review the thread. One's day-to-day varies significantly on the base and its mission. This has been discussed a few times already:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31543&p=9004118&hilit=active+flight#p9004118

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31543&p=7148918&hilit=active+flight#p7148918

Backload

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:For base selection preferences for a new Air Force JAG, (understanding the Air Force probably just tosses these in the garbage) should one just go off of where sounds like the best place to live? If you’re new I’d imagine your work will be about the same regardless of the mission of the base you work at right? Is there such a thing as office culture specific to certain bases that one should consider?


I think you should select based on what you want to do. If you want to be in court often, tell the accessions person you want military justice. Bases can differ on temp, so some bases can have 20+ courts a year while some have 0. You will be doing similar things to everyone you go to jasoc with but it can differ a lot for courts, and then civil law can differ depending on your base ops. First assignment you won't really get into much else.

So ask about justice to accessions or try to do some research. Also talk to your family/SO if they are coming with you.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 pm

“Trump's budget would end student loan forgiveness program”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/12/trumps-budget-would-end-student-loan-forgiveness-program.html

Something that should concern almost everyone following this thread. Talk to your representatives early and often.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:“Trump's budget would end student loan forgiveness program”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/12/trumps-budget-would-end-student-loan-forgiveness-program.html

Something that should concern almost everyone following this thread. Talk to your representatives early and often.


Apparently we can't edit posts now? Thanks new management.

The proposed changes would only apply to new borrowers - so I'll stop clutching at my pearls but still something to track for the 0Ls tracking this thread.

User avatar
Dawg57

Bronze
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Dawg57 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:59 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:“Trump's budget would end student loan forgiveness program”

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/12/trumps-budget-would-end-student-loan-forgiveness-program.html

Something that should concern almost everyone following this thread. Talk to your representatives early and often.


Apparently we can't edit posts now? Thanks new management.

The proposed changes would only apply to new borrowers - so I'll stop clutching at my pearls but still something to track for the 0Ls tracking this thread.


Thanks PB, I was currently combing through to look at if it is retroactively applied or not.

I think most changes, it’s is clear only apply to new borrowers, I assume that means Loan forgiveness as well, but I honestly have yet to see something that clearly says those already borrowed would be entitled to federal loan forgiveness programs. I know a lot of these things have to do with your loan paperwork and promissory not which guarantee and detail things like repayment plans and interests rates. Those can’t be changed. But I’m not entirely sure if the 10 year forgiveness program is detailed in those papers as well. If so, that makes the argument for “grandfathered-in-ness” much stronger.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello, got accepted as a primary to the Army JAG 2018 Summer Internship back in Dec. I accepted that day, and I am currently awaiting a base assignment. Just curious if there is anyone here who has been assigned a base for the summer. The acceptance letter said to expect an assignment in Feb.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Any GLP/OYCP calls yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any GLP/OYCP calls yet?


Pretty sure there won't be any until next month at the soonest.

Mobster1983

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Mobster1983 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 am

Anyone with knowledge know how strict the "head to toe" requirement is for the AF JAG photo. I can take one, but would really prefer to use my official military photo. In dress uniform and goes down to about the knee.

User avatar
usn26

Silver
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby usn26 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:13 am

Mobster1983 wrote:Anyone with knowledge know how strict the "head to toe" requirement is for the AF JAG photo. I can take one, but would really prefer to use my official military photo. In dress uniform and goes down to about the knee.


I have often heard them describe the photo requirement as an exercise in following directions. I wouldn't risk it.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 am

Mobster1983 wrote:Anyone with knowledge know how strict the "head to toe" requirement is for the AF JAG photo. I can take one, but would really prefer to use my official military photo. In dress uniform and goes down to about the knee.


Agreed with usn26. Follow the directions as they are stated.

If you are still in, you can get PA to do a new photo for you that is head to toe. Otherwise you can wear your service dress at Sears or whatever photo studio for them to do it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Any idea how long it takes to hear from the AF jag internship? Applications were due on Monday for 1Ls.

Mobster1983

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Mobster1983 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Mobster1983 wrote:Anyone with knowledge know how strict the "head to toe" requirement is for the AF JAG photo. I can take one, but would really prefer to use my official military photo. In dress uniform and goes down to about the knee.


Agreed with usn26. Follow the directions as they are stated.

If you are still in, you can get PA to do a new photo for you that is head to toe. Otherwise you can wear your service dress at Sears or whatever photo studio for them to do it.


I figured as much.

Labrador911

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Labrador911 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:53 am

Any suggestions to prep for the PFT if you have two months?

Anonymous User
Posts: 320667
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:40 am

Labrador911 wrote:Any suggestions to prep for the PFT if you have two months?


For the Marines?

If so, it's going to depend on where you're at. I can't verify this but I've heard that to get accepted for OCS you need to be testing at LEAST a 250, with 280+ being ideal.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.