Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Just got the call from my awesome FSO. Got accepted into both active and reserve comp. They will release results tomorrow. Good luck!

Army btw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the call from my awesome FSO. Got accepted into both active and reserve comp. They will release results tomorrow. Good luck!

Army btw.
Congrats! I was surprised you posted non-anon originally. Haha.

on alternate list myself. Hopeful for getting picked up sooner rather than later... or not at all :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got the call from my awesome FSO. Got accepted into both active and reserve comp. They will release results tomorrow. Good luck!

Army btw.
Congrats! I was surprised you posted non-anon originally. Haha.

on alternate list myself. Hopeful for getting picked up sooner rather than later... or not at all :lol:

I was picked up off of alternate list when applied for intern. Have couple buddies who got off of alternate list and are now JAs. You probably will be picked up! Best of luck to you.

Yeah.. anon thing is still a little tricky to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Haven't heard anything from my Army OSO. Should I just assume it's game over at this point?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Didn't get a call. Devastated.

I know people usually get feedback from Air Force Judge Advocates after a non-select, so just wondering if there's a tradition of asking Army Judge Advocates for feedback too?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:49 pm

I got selected two years ago, and I did not receive a phone call at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Army btw.
Confirming (via conversation w/ my interviewer) that Army is releasing results tomorrow (Saturday).

Hintergedanke

New

Post by Hintergedanke » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Currently waiting on FLEP results myself. Any idea if they could potentially be released with direct appointment results also? FLEP results have been released this week for the past 5 years so this seems odd that they broke this trend but not out of line with the MILPER. Any insight would be appreciated.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Hintergedanke wrote:Currently waiting on FLEP results myself. Any idea if they could potentially be released with direct appointment results also? FLEP results have been released this week for the past 5 years so this seems odd that they broke this trend but not out of line with the MILPER. Any insight would be appreciated.
I bet they will Be released online with the wave of other accessions lists. But that’s speculative and based on very little reliable info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got selected two years ago, and I did not receive a phone call at all.
Same.

(For Army, guess I should say, given username and tar)

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:58 pm

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got selected two years ago, and I did not receive a phone call at all.
Same.

Hey Usn I forget, did you end up going Navy or are yoo Army now? Or neither? I recall you from the Navy specific thread.

mj_clerk

New

Post by mj_clerk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:12 am

Army JAG board selection results have been disclosed to interviewers, who seem to be calling candidates offered actual slots or "alternate" slots for both active duty and reserves. The list will be posted tomorrow morning, apparently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:38 am

I imagine the answer to this question varies by state, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Are military lawyers required to complete CLE Credit the same way private sector attorneys must to keep their license active? If so, do you complete local opportunities for CLE and then transfer to your home state? Are those requirements waived for active duty?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:47 am

Does anyone know how a hearing impairment would impact an admitted Army JAG? Background - moderate/significant hearing loss (one ear is much better than the other) - highly functional without hearing aids - own hearing aids just in case. Would a waiver be easy to obtain? Thx!

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I imagine the answer to this question varies by state, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Are military lawyers required to complete CLE Credit the same way private sector attorneys must to keep their license active? If so, do you complete local opportunities for CLE and then transfer to your home state? Are those requirements waived for active duty?
Certain states exempt you if you are on Active duty, some don’t. The ones that don’t you have the general requirements. My state doesn’t but every class I have done for the jag corps has been transferred back to home state for annual credit.

professorvoltron

New

Post by professorvoltron » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:59 am

Army ad list is up.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Backload wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I imagine the answer to this question varies by state, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Certain states exempt you if you are on Active duty, some don’t. The ones that don’t you have the general requirements. My state doesn’t but every class I have done for the jag corps has been transferred back to home state for annual credit.
Some states will also waive the annual registration fees for active duty (and reserves, if you are persistent enough).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stereoskater

New

Post by stereoskater » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:30 am

electriklemon wrote:Also selected as a reserve alternate.

But I think anyone on the reserve alternate list has a good chance!

There are 65 duplicate names for the Primary Active Duty and Primary Reserve selection list; and furthermore, there are 18 people selected for primary Reserves on the Active Duty wait list.

Just hoping those 65 people on the Active Duty primary list all choose active duty to open the Reserve spots! :P
Hey! How did this work out? I was looking at the 2019 list now and there are 82 people on the JAG Reserve and Active Selected lists and there are 45 JAG Reserve Alternates! So I am really hoping some of those 82 choose Active and open up some slots for an Alternate like me!

Any insight into how many Alternates have been moved to Selectees in recent years?!?!

ScreamingEagle101

New

Post by ScreamingEagle101 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:44 pm

After doing my fair share of research in regards to JAG, I’m still confused on how the area of practices/concentrations work. I’m particularly looking for any information in regards to Army JAG since I’m currently an active duty E6 and plan to stay Army. I know the Army loves soldiers who broaden their career with different assignments and duties, but have noticed that there are about 10 different law areas of practice a JAG can focus on. Do JAG’s generally pick their area of practice or is it the needs of the Army? At what point in their career do JAG’s begin to specialize?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Same.

Hey Usn I forget, did you end up going Navy or are yoo Army now? Or neither? I recall you from the Navy specific thread.
Clerking rn. Waiting on medical clearance for Army reserve, but still hoping to do AD USCG (preferably) or USN.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:36 am

[tweet][/tweet]
usn26 wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Same.

Clerking rn. Waiting on medical clearance for Army reserve, but still hoping to do AD USCG (preferably) or USN.

Very cool. Best of luck! My Brother-in-law is in the USCG now and really in love with it. Not JAG, just an officer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:56 am

Anyone already AD Army JAG that is willing to answer some questions from a recent selectee about DCC and other issues?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:19 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Backload wrote:

Some states will also waive the annual registration fees for active duty (and reserves, if you are persistent enough).
I agree with the previous poster that there are states (like Illinois) that will allow a waiver of bar dues since this is a public service position with the Department of Defense. You just need to check with your state bar.

Maybe Patrick can answer this, but doesn't DOD also offer to pay your bar dues for at least one state?

Same thing with CLE. In a lot of states, they are waived because you are are a federal attorney. And if they don't (like revious poster mentioned),whatever legal training courses you take during JAG can count towards your CLE.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I agree with the previous poster that there are states (like Illinois) that will allow a waiver of bar dues since this is a public service position with the Department of Defense. You just need to check with your state bar.

Maybe Patrick can answer this, but doesn't DOD also offer to pay your bar dues for at least one state?

Same thing with CLE. In a lot of states, they are waived because you are are a federal attorney. And if they don't (like revious poster mentioned),whatever legal training courses you take during JAG can count towards your CLE.
To clarify - the states I am familiar with will waive dues for active duty (and possibly Reserve / Guard) personnel. It is the military status that triggers the fee waiver, not the "public service" element. Illinois, for example, does not waive dues for civilian Federal employees, even if that person is a GS civilian for DOD.

There is no universal DOD bar dues repayment policy - each service's JAG Corps has implemented a different program, usually limited to just active duty. The Air Force JAG Corps will repay up to a certain amount - folks from states with high bar dues like New York still had to come out of pocket. At least that was the policy while I was still on AD - things might have changed.

Re: CLE - maybe some states will waive CLE for Federal civilians but those that I am familiar with only do it for active duty personnel. To use Illinois for an example again, they do not care if you are a Federal civilian. It is not hard at all to get CLE while on active duty - you will go to enough courses at AFJAGS and the other service school houses to more than cover any CLE requirements.

To be clear, there may be states that have additional carve outs re: CLE/Dues/etc for attorneys in government/public service roles but I am just not familiar with them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Cross-posting this to the Military Law thread in the hopes that someone here will have relevant experience:

Does anyone have experience with (or know someone who does) balancing a BigLaw litigator lifestyle with Military Reservist duties, IMA or otherwise? Extra credit if your experience is/was with the USAF. EXTRA extra credit if your IMA experience was with something other than JAG.

My situation: current stub-year BigLaw litigator, previous USAF O-3 and Engineer. I'm considering picking up a local IMA position that just opened up for engineers, though I am also thinking about looking at local JAG IMA positions because there are a couple of those available as well. Even though it's technically illegal to discriminate against someone based on military status, the reality of this career field is that any time spent away from the job can be taken as not being dedicated to the job/firm/clients/etc. My concerns and questions:
  • How receptive is your firm to reservists?
  • Did your firm prorate hours based on reserve/IMA requirements?
  • How receptive were your coworkers?
  • Was it worth it / would you do it again?
  • How receptive was your command to a demanding job like BigLaw?
Any and all information would be greatly appreciated - I have tried searching the forums for info, but there's really not much out there specific to IMA and BigLaw.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”