Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Kelaw364

New

Re: Military Law

Post by Kelaw364 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:20 pm

The call came from the person I interviewed with. He said email got sent this morning with the list. I'm not sure what the call was about because as soon as I heard it was him, I was so happy I forgot to pay attention to what he was saying. But it was just basic stuff I'm sure. Good luck to everyone who's waiting!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Can someone pursue big law after a stint in JAG, or does that door close?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Can someone pursue big law after a stint in JAG, or does that door close?
There was a former Army JAG at my summer firm, but I think it was a pretty unusual path. He had summered there as a law student, and then gone JAG, and the firm liked him enough that they said if he wanted to come back after four years they'd probably find him a spot.

For the most part, I think that door closes. The kind of experience you get as a JAG officer isn't really applicable to what BigLaw firms typically do.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:46 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Can someone pursue big law after a stint in JAG, or does that door close?
There was a former Army JAG at my summer firm, but I think it was a pretty unusual path. He had summered there as a law student, and then gone JAG, and the firm liked him enough that they said if he wanted to come back after four years they'd probably find him a spot.

For the most part, I think that door closes. The kind of experience you get as a JAG officer isn't really applicable to what BigLaw firms typically do.
Being a summer at a military-friendly firm helps a lot. Some firms put effort into bringing on JAGs (e.g. Orrick), but it's rare, even at those places.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Would it be feasible to do like a 1L internship with Army or Marine JAG, and still do OCI in case I don't like it? For what it's worth, I have never been in the military.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 pm

RE: Big law after Jag: I practice Government contracts at a D.C. law firm and there are some folks doing that. This is probably your best bet, but the advice given above is solid. Big law probably aint happening. The best chance for anyone to do big law is 2l OCI. After that, folks will find there way back but this is not something to plan for.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not its possible to get a weekend pass during DCC and/or JAOBC? Anticipating entering the May 2018 class. Curious but thinking it's likely a no.

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Post by Mickfromgm » Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 10, 2017 7:41 am

aka123 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not its possible to get a weekend pass during DCC and/or JAOBC? Anticipating entering the May 2018 class. Curious but thinking it's likely a no.
My understanding is that it is possible during DCC, but not during the first few weekends, and that it is very common during JAOBC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
aka123 wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not its possible to get a weekend pass during DCC and/or JAOBC? Anticipating entering the May 2018 class. Curious but thinking it's likely a no.
My understanding is that it is possible during DCC, but not during the first few weekends, and that it is very common during JAOBC.
That's good to know. Thanks!

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:15 am

For anyone in the midst of Army JAG accessions, I'm pretty much done with my medical screening. Had my exam on April 27th and the DoD finished review on today. Just two weeks! I'm disqualified till my orthodontic treatment is over but wasn't given any grief for my thyroid issue. I really thought I was going to get dinged for that and would have to go through a lengthy waiver process. So, huge sigh of relief! I'm not anticipating going in till May 2018 but DoD will DQ anyone with active orthodontic treatment. Once it's off, I just have to send a doctor's note over to DoDMERB and my DQ gets lifted. Hope everyone is having flying through finals and having a painless medical screening as well.
Congratulations Class of 2017!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 11:20 am

aka123 wrote:For anyone in the midst of Army JAG accessions, I'm pretty much done with my medical screening. Had my exam on April 27th and the DoD finished review on today. Just two weeks! I'm disqualified till my orthodontic treatment is over but wasn't given any grief for my thyroid issue. I really thought I was going to get dinged for that and would have to go through a lengthy waiver process. So, huge sigh of relief! I'm not anticipating going in till May 2018 but DoD will DQ anyone with active orthodontic treatment. Once it's off, I just have to send a doctor's note over to DoDMERB and my DQ gets lifted. Hope everyone is having flying through finals and having a painless medical screening as well.
Just an FYI from someone also going through, the medical review that you likely received an answer on from DoDMERB within 2 weeks is only the first step of the process. There is also the HRC Surgeon General review, which takes significantly longer. I had 0 DoDMERB issues, and I have been sitting waiting to hear back from HRC for over a month now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 11:36 am

Had a "Remedial Requested" due to my having braces many years ago, letter stated: "THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE CANNOT PAY FOR THIS REMEDIAL. REQUIRES AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR PRIVATE ORTHODONTIST (OPTION C ON YOUR REMEDIAL LETTER MUST BE UTILIZED):" -- anyone know what "OPTION C" is?

I just called my ortho and had them fill out and sign the AMI I was sent (I have no ongoing ortho treatment, just retainers which are fine per the DOD)- received a confirmation email from my medtech stating that they had received the form and I should continue to check dodmerb for updates but it's been 2.5 weeks and no status change. (I know they're probably swamped right now, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, i.e. "OPTION C" since I'm not sure what that meant.)

Cheers to all finishing up!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a "Remedial Requested" due to my having braces many years ago, letter stated: "THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE CANNOT PAY FOR THIS REMEDIAL. REQUIRES AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR PRIVATE ORTHODONTIST (OPTION C ON YOUR REMEDIAL LETTER MUST BE UTILIZED):" -- anyone know what "OPTION C" is?

I just called my ortho and had them fill out and sign the AMI I was sent (I have no ongoing ortho treatment, just retainers which are fine per the DOD)- received a confirmation email from my medtech stating that they had received the form and I should continue to check dodmerb for updates but it's been 2.5 weeks and no status change. (I know they're probably swamped right now, but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything, i.e. "OPTION C" since I'm not sure what that meant.)

These are the DoDMERB Options:
DodMERB wrote: You have three options to complete your Medical AMI. Generally speaking, you can use our contractor,
you can go to a military installation, or you can pay for it yourself at your private physician. These
are generalizations. Greater details are provided below.
a. The first option, the preferred option, is to use our contractor, Concorde Inc. Concorde is
already aware of your Medical AMI requirements and will assist you with locating the nearest
subcontracted physician or test facility in your area. If need be, Concorde has 30-days to
find a provider. Log onto their website: https://www.dodmets.com to see the physician assigned
to complete your AMI. You can also call Concorde, at 215-587-9600. We will not reimburse
you for any transportation or lodging costs you may incur. The subcontractor will send the
results of your medical AMI directly to DoDMERB at no expense to you.

b. The second option is to complete the AMI at a Military Treatment Facility (MTF). This option
is also at no cost to you, but access to the MTF may be an inhibiting factor. Also, not every
MTF will be capable of completing every possible medical AMI. We are not responsible for delays
in obtaining appointments or appointments canceled by the MTF. This letter will be your
authorization to obtain the AMI and must be brought with you to the military installation for
base/post access. You can find military facilities at: http://www.tricare.mil/mtf/

c. A third option, unless otherwise directed in this letter, is to have the AMI completed by a
private physician or test facility of your choice, at your own expense. The government WILL
NOT pay for, nor reimburse you for, this option! If you choose this option you will need to
make the appointment yourself, and you will need to make arrangements for the results to be
sent to DoDMERB at the address on our letterhead. To repeat, the Government WILL NOT,
under any circumstances, pay, or reimburse you for this option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a "Remedial Requested" due to my having braces many years ago, letter stated: "THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE CANNOT PAY FOR THIS REMEDIAL. REQUIRES AN APPOINTMENT WITH YOUR PRIVATE ORTHODONTIST (OPTION C ON YOUR REMEDIAL LETTER MUST BE UTILIZED):" -- anyone know what "OPTION C" is?

These are the DoDMERB Options:
DodMERB wrote: You have three options to complete your Medical AMI. Generally speaking, you can use our contractor,
you can go to a military installation, or you can pay for it yourself at your private physician. These
are generalizations. Greater details are provided below.
a. The first option, the preferred option, is to use our contractor, Concorde Inc. Concorde is
already aware of your Medical AMI requirements and will assist you with locating the nearest
subcontracted physician or test facility in your area. If need be, Concorde has 30-days to
find a provider. Log onto their website: https://www.dodmets.com to see the physician assigned
to complete your AMI. You can also call Concorde, at 215-587-9600. We will not reimburse
you for any transportation or lodging costs you may incur. The subcontractor will send the
results of your medical AMI directly to DoDMERB at no expense to you.

b. The second option is to complete the AMI at a Military Treatment Facility (MTF). This option
is also at no cost to you, but access to the MTF may be an inhibiting factor. Also, not every
MTF will be capable of completing every possible medical AMI. We are not responsible for delays
in obtaining appointments or appointments canceled by the MTF. This letter will be your
authorization to obtain the AMI and must be brought with you to the military installation for
base/post access. You can find military facilities at: http://www.tricare.mil/mtf/

c. A third option, unless otherwise directed in this letter, is to have the AMI completed by a
private physician or test facility of your choice, at your own expense. The government WILL
NOT pay for, nor reimburse you for, this option! If you choose this option you will need to
make the appointment yourself, and you will need to make arrangements for the results to be
sent to DoDMERB at the address on our letterhead. To repeat, the Government WILL NOT,
under any circumstances, pay, or reimburse you for this option.

Great! Thanks for the info. I guess they're just really slammed right now, the waiting game continues.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
aka123 wrote:For anyone in the midst of Army JAG accessions, I'm pretty much done with my medical screening. Had my exam on April 27th and the DoD finished review on today. Just two weeks! I'm disqualified till my orthodontic treatment is over but wasn't given any grief for my thyroid issue. I really thought I was going to get dinged for that and would have to go through a lengthy waiver process. So, huge sigh of relief! I'm not anticipating going in till May 2018 but DoD will DQ anyone with active orthodontic treatment. Once it's off, I just have to send a doctor's note over to DoDMERB and my DQ gets lifted. Hope everyone is having flying through finals and having a painless medical screening as well.
Just an FYI from someone also going through, the medical review that you likely received an answer on from DoDMERB within 2 weeks is only the first step of the process. There is also the HRC Surgeon General review, which takes significantly longer. I had 0 DoDMERB issues, and I have been sitting waiting to hear back from HRC for over a month now.
Thanks for the info! Hope you hear back soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 am

Are we allowed to scan and email AMI's instead of mailing or faxing them? In the main part of the letter it said to mail it in, but in tiny lettering at the bottom it says "all AMIs can be emailed."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Same here on an answer from HRC Surgeon. 2 months, no response

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are we allowed to scan and email AMI's instead of mailing or faxing them? In the main part of the letter it said to mail it in, but in tiny lettering at the bottom it says "all AMIs can be emailed."
Per DoDMERB medtech, sending as .pdf is fine.

thxrho

New

Post by thxrho » Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:

Agreed. My firm (V50) has / has had several JAGs, but they are all in the torts group which leveraged their extensive trial experiences (incl. defense counsel, which I understand is rarefied experience for JAGs). Exposure to "extensive" trial experience isn't a given, so can't be counted on as a clear path to BigLaw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri May 12, 2017 12:39 pm

thxrho wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

Agreed. My firm (V50) has / has had several JAGs, but they are all in the torts group which leveraged their extensive trial experiences (incl. defense counsel, which I understand is rarefied experience for JAGs). Exposure to "extensive" trial experience isn't a given, so can't be counted on as a clear path to BigLaw.
Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?

thxrho

New

Post by thxrho » Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 pm

carsondalywashere wrote: Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?
Feasible, yes. But from what I read on this board, those 1L spots are hard to get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Army SLRP Question:

Paraphrasing, but a payment of 33.33% of the loans up to $65,000 will be made each year. For the sake of simple math, assume you have $33,333 in student loans. The first payment of 33.33% will be $11,111. Will the next two payments also be $11,111 and thus pay off the entire original amount of $33,333? Or will they pay 33.33% of your new loan total each year, i.e. after the first payment, the new total would be $22,222 and thus the second payment would only be only ~$7,333 - leaving you with a new total of $14,889 - and then the third (and final) payment would be ~$4,913, leaving you with a remaining $9,976 which you're stuck with on your own. Thanks for any input!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 pm

thxrho wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote: Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?
Feasible, yes. But from what I read on this board, those 1L spots are hard to get.
The Army internship program is only for 2L's, so 1L spots are impossible to get. *However,* you can try to arrange an unpaid "externship" for your 1L summer. If you're motivated and flexible on location that should be doable.

Marine JAG 1L internship sans military commitment is not an option.

The other three services have 1L summer options if you're willing to do JAG more generally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”