Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
mkephart

New

Re: Military Law

Post by mkephart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Does anyone know what the timeline usually looks like for the Air Force getting back to applicants about the summer internship?

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:37 pm

aka123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Some questions for other accepted JAGs in the December 2016 Board, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts as there's a lot of forms and logistics to go through in such a short time allotment.

1) I submitted the initial three forms through the SAFE Inbox like with the statement of intent (which was correctly downloaded), but these forms weren't downloaded in time by DoD before they were automatically deleted. Was there a special naming convention for them to use? (I couldn't find anything to that effect so simply named them such as "DODMERB Medical Worksheet" and so on). Given how these forms are the intial ones we need to get the appointments scheduled I really want them to process!

2) Have you all received any other group emails since the notification about the conference call? I remember it was mentioned that there would be a follow up email after the call but I never received one.

Thanks all!
1) Mine weren't downloaded either ... Thinking I may re-upload to be on the safe side.

2) I received an email to start DODMERB but I have not received any followup email from JARO re: things discussed during the conference call.

I wanted to get the drug tests out of the way but wasn't sure which ones to get done. Reached out to my FSO and he was told by JARO that a followup email would be sent out with this information ... still nothing from them and that was almost two weeks ago. I know they're extremely busy. I just don't want to miss anything and delay the already long accessions process.

All the medical information needed regarding which tests to get done is up on the website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:39 pm

I just got my results back from the tests that needed to be completed outside of the medical exam.

All the results were negative/normal except one test. The doctor said it was no big deal and is normal. Does anyone know if that will effect anything or if I should re-do the test to get a normal reading? Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got my results back from the tests that needed to be completed outside of the medical exam.

All the results were negative/normal except one test. The doctor said it was no big deal and is normal. Does anyone know if that will effect anything or if I should re-do the test to get a normal reading? Thanks
Are you talking about receiving a non-negative/normal result for one of the requested tests, or is it for another test that was just performed at the same time? I know my doctor performed much more than what was requested just because it was part of a panel of tests that are run together.

Regarding the specifically requested tests:
1. If you have HIV, you will not be qualified.
2. If you failed your drug or alcohol screen, you will not be qualified.
These first two are pretty straight forward and easy to understand.

This one is a little different:
3. If you have protein or glucose in your urine, you need to have a test showing that these values are 0. There are many medical reasons why you may not show 0 for this, but the sheet does state that you will need a retest to prove that you can show.

If #3 is the one you showed a positive result for, retest following some of the guidelines in the packet.

If it is just some random other test that you failed, it probably won't matter or you can ask your doctor to provide a limited set of results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got my results back from the tests that needed to be completed outside of the medical exam.

Are you talking about receiving a non-negative/normal result for one of the requested tests, or is it for another test that was just performed at the same time? I know my doctor performed much more than what was requested just because it was part of a panel of tests that are run together.

Regarding the specifically requested tests:
1. If you have HIV, you will not be qualified.
2. If you failed your drug or alcohol screen, you will not be qualified.
These first two are pretty straight forward and easy to understand.

This one is a little different:
3. If you have protein or glucose in your urine, you need to have a test showing that these values are 0. There are many medical reasons why you may not show 0 for this, but the sheet does state that you will need a retest to prove that you can show.

If #3 is the one you showed a positive result for, retest following some of the guidelines in the packet.

If it is just some random other test that you failed, it probably won't matter or you can ask your doctor to provide a limited set of results.

I believe it was just a random test. "ACT" results (something with the lung) were 2 points higher than the "normal" range

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:45 pm

mkephart wrote:Does anyone know what the timeline usually looks like for the Air Force getting back to applicants about the summer internship?
Interested in this as well so I can stop compulsively checking my email and USAJobs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 pm

mkephart wrote:Does anyone know what the timeline usually looks like for the Air Force getting back to applicants about the summer internship?
Also curious if they do interviews for the internship if anyone could answer on that. The internship had less requirements than the externship, which seemed a bit weird. I would be surprised if they chose interns with less selectivity than the externs since the interns are paid.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 am

Does anyone have experience changing their DODMERB medical exam provider? The one I was assigned looks a little shady and I would prefer to go to my regular PCP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 am

aka123 wrote:Does anyone have experience changing their DODMERB medical exam provider? The one I was assigned looks a little shady and I would prefer to go to my regular PCP.
The doctor I was sent to WAS very shady. Unfortunately, he is the contractor in the area for DODMERB and also for some other government work. I did some researching on switching doctors (did not actually try), and all I could find was basically that they will not do it unless they assigned you to one that isn't really near where you are (for example, if you go to law school in a different state than your normal home address). Even if you can change the doctor, you will almost definitely not be allowed to just go to your PCP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
aka123 wrote:Does anyone have experience changing their DODMERB medical exam provider? The one I was assigned looks a little shady and I would prefer to go to my regular PCP.
The doctor I was sent to WAS very shady. Unfortunately, he is the contractor in the area for DODMERB and also for some other government work. I did some researching on switching doctors (did not actually try), and all I could find was basically that they will not do it unless they assigned you to one that isn't really near where you are (for example, if you go to law school in a different state than your normal home address). Even if you can change the doctor, you will almost definitely not be allowed to just go to your PCP.
Ah, that's what I suspected. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also curious if they do interviews for the internship if anyone could answer on that. The internship had less requirements than the externship, which seemed a bit weird. I would be surprised if they chose interns with less selectivity than the externs since the interns are paid.
From what I've heard, they do not interview interns. Fewer requirements doesn't necessarily mean less selectivity though. They may require more from externs just because having more information makes it easier to sort through candidates without having to make individualized decisions. If you check enough boxes, they're more than happy to let you work for free. Whereas I'm sure they really look hard at each intern applicant's personal statement and resume.

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From what I've heard, they do not interview interns. Fewer requirements doesn't necessarily mean less selectivity though. They may require more from externs just because having more information makes it easier to sort through candidates without having to make individualized decisions. If you check enough boxes, they're more than happy to let you work for free. Whereas I'm sure they really look hard at each intern applicant's personal statement and resume.
I applied (and was not accepted) for the AF internship last summer (did do the externship though, and was picked up in the October 2016 Board). It's important to remember that the internship timeline varies wildly, but here was mine:

3/25/16: Application Posted
4/6/16: Notification of Results (I don't know if this contained anything helpful, but it meant nothing to me)
4/13/16: Notification that I was found qualified for the position and my application was sent to the agency for review
4/29/16: Notification of Results again
5/3/16: Emailed Chief of Recruiting to ask when the results would be released. Was told that the selectees had already been notified
5/5/16: Received Disposition Notification that I had not been selected

No interview for the internship, unless I just didn't make it that far. Can't speak to selectivity of either program, but I was denied for the internship, selected for the externship, and selected at my first DAP board.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 pm

livefromannarbor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I applied (and was not accepted) for the AF internship last summer (did do the externship though, and was picked up in the October 2016 Board). It's important to remember that the internship timeline varies wildly, but here was mine:

3/25/16: Application Posted
4/6/16: Notification of Results (I don't know if this contained anything helpful, but it meant nothing to me)
4/13/16: Notification that I was found qualified for the position and my application was sent to the agency for review
4/29/16: Notification of Results again
5/3/16: Emailed Chief of Recruiting to ask when the results would be released. Was told that the selectees had already been notified
5/5/16: Received Disposition Notification that I had not been selected

No interview for the internship, unless I just didn't make it that far. Can't speak to selectivity of either program, but I was denied for the internship, selected for the externship, and selected at my first DAP board.
Can confirm that I did not have an interview either for the 2016 summer internship. My application was lost somehow so I was never referred. By the time I figured out something was wrong, all spots in the internship had been filled. Thanks USAJobs! Did not apply to the externship as I'm located in NYC and could not make to to the nearest AFB (JBMDL). Was however selected at my first DAP board as well in October 2016.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Status changed to "reviewed" today on USAJobs for the AF JAG internship and also got the preliminary automated email saying I was assigned an initial rating. Hopefully this means decisions will be coming soon

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:17 pm

Has anyone have any experience with Marine Corp Jag?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 am

A quick data point and a question:

Data Point: So I had heard that the DoDMERB processing often takes a VERY long time. I don't know if they are currently at a slow point or something right now, but I was able to get a Qualified determination in less than two weeks from the date I took my physical. This included an administrative remedial (required that I explain something in my medical history) and an unrelated clinical remedial (required that I have another test done). Luckily I was able to schedule the clinical remedial with my personal doctor the same day I was informed about it, but had I taken my time, this part of the process likely would have lagged.

Question: The Army packets on the JARO website indicate that the DoDMERB qualification and the HRC Surgeon General qualification are two separate requirements. Does anyone know the process flow on getting the HRC Surgeon General qualification? Will my DoDMERB Qualification result in an automatic HRC qualification? Do I have to send anything in to HRC or does JARO handle this?

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:A quick data point and a question:

Data Point: So I had heard that the DoDMERB processing often takes a VERY long time. I don't know if they are currently at a slow point or something right now, but I was able to get a Qualified determination in less than two weeks from the date I took my physical. This included an administrative remedial (required that I explain something in my medical history) and an unrelated clinical remedial (required that I have another test done). Luckily I was able to schedule the clinical remedial with my personal doctor the same day I was informed about it, but had I taken my time, this part of the process likely would have lagged.

Question: The Army packets on the JARO website indicate that the DoDMERB qualification and the HRC Surgeon General qualification are two separate requirements. Does anyone know the process flow on getting the HRC Surgeon General qualification? Will my DoDMERB Qualification result in an automatic HRC qualification? Do I have to send anything in to HRC or does JARO handle this?
My understanding is that the additional test required is what is needed for the HRC qualification. I just uploaded my results from those tests to JARO and I haven't heard back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 am

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

My understanding is that the additional test required is what is needed for the HRC qualification. I just uploaded my results from those tests to JARO and I haven't heard back.
Ok I actually had those tests done prior to my physical and sent them to JARO. They sent me an email confirming that they received them and added them to my file. So I guess, I just wait now?

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

Ok I actually had those tests done prior to my physical and sent them to JARO. They sent me an email confirming that they received them and added them to my file. So I guess, I just wait now?

I guess. That's the point I'm at as well and I'm not sure what else to do. I have everything completed and sent in but don't know what else to do.

theorangewon

New

Post by theorangewon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone have any experience with Marine Corp Jag?
Accepted to USMC PLC-Law program and will be attending OCS this summer before starting law school. If I can help you I can, what's up?

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 pm

How long did it take for them to update your account after you turned in your remedial? Currently going through this process now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Application was referred this morning for the AF JAG internship. Anybody else get the same? Hopefully we hear by early April

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Application was referred this morning for the AF JAG internship. Anybody else get the same? Hopefully we hear by early April
Yup.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:02 am

CaseClosed wrote:

How long did it take for them to update your account after you turned in your remedial? Currently going through this process now.
Two days from submitting the remedial to hearing something back on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Anybody in the Army JAOBC 203rd class receive a call from the assignment officer yet? Or possibly still waiting for that call?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”