Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
howell

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by howell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for some information about promotion timelines and selection percentages for AF. I've searched through the thread and am unable to find what I'm looking for, I thought I had previously seen this information but now can't find it again. I did see PB's post almost on point but I'm looking for a little more clarification.

I know the following details:
- promote to Captain after 6 months 100%
- promote to Major after ~7 years 95%.

Does anyone have the same information for Lt Col and Col? How long is it from Maj to Lt Col, what percentage of JAGs are selected (I've found the AF as a whole, but I know JAG percentages differ)? Then same for Lt Col to Col, how long and what percentage? Hopefully someone can provide this information, or at least a source where I can look.

Me:
- current 3L
- participating in OYCP, commission in May
- using this information for a brief I'm giving comparing JAG career progression to other line officer progressions
Yes, Capt at 6 months, but then you will meet your Major board 5 years after you pin on Capt. Then it's 5 years to the Lt Col Board and 6 years to the Col board.

The board will meet at some point in that year, then a few months later you will get notified, and then maybe 6-18 months later you will actually pin that rank on.

Here are the promotion percentages from the most recent boards for those in the zone:

Maj - 93.6%
Lt Col - 71.7%
Col - 39.4 %

I will note there seems to be a bit of a shift to allow more people to get selected one year above the zone. For example, there was an 11.4 % selection rate above the zone for Lt Col and 17% for Col. JAX says we should expect a bit more of this in the future, but who knows.

Also, these percentages change. I believe I was briefed 85% for Lt Col and 60% for Col when I came in several years ago. But manning and other things will change how many people they have available and how many they're planning to select.

This probably goes beyond what you're looking for, but the big thing is whether you get a Definitely Promote. Here are the numbers for DP vs. Promote for the same boards above:

Lt Col DP - 20/20 selected
Lt Col P - 18/33 selected

Col DP - 10/11 selected
Col P - 3/22 selected

Whether you get a DP depends not only on how great people think you are, but possibly what assignment you're in at the time your Promotion Recommendation Form (PRF) gets signed. For example, when I hit my Maj board, I was in a MAJCOM that had so few Capts they didn't have a DP to give. I had to go fight for it from the other misfits who didn't get DPs from their MAJCOMs. Or if you end up in AFLOA, I think they basically lock you in a cage with the other few dozen people meeting the board from AFLOA and a few sharp sticks and let you fight it out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 pm

howell wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for some information about promotion timelines and selection percentages for AF. I've searched through the thread and am unable to find what I'm looking for, I thought I had previously seen this information but now can't find it again. I did see PB's post almost on point but I'm looking for a little more clarification.

I know the following details:
- promote to Captain after 6 months 100%
- promote to Major after ~7 years 95%.

Does anyone have the same information for Lt Col and Col? How long is it from Maj to Lt Col, what percentage of JAGs are selected (I've found the AF as a whole, but I know JAG percentages differ)? Then same for Lt Col to Col, how long and what percentage? Hopefully someone can provide this information, or at least a source where I can look.

Me:
- current 3L
- participating in OYCP, commission in May
- using this information for a brief I'm giving comparing JAG career progression to other line officer progressions
Yes, Capt at 6 months, but then you will meet your Major board 5 years after you pin on Capt. Then it's 5 years to the Lt Col Board and 6 years to the Col board.

The board will meet at some point in that year, then a few months later you will get notified, and then maybe 6-18 months later you will actually pin that rank on.

Here are the promotion percentages from the most recent boards for those in the zone:

Maj - 93.6%
Lt Col - 71.7%
Col - 39.4 %

I will note there seems to be a bit of a shift to allow more people to get selected one year above the zone. For example, there was an 11.4 % selection rate above the zone for Lt Col and 17% for Col. JAX says we should expect a bit more of this in the future, but who knows.

Also, these percentages change. I believe I was briefed 85% for Lt Col and 60% for Col when I came in several years ago. But manning and other things will change how many people they have available and how many they're planning to select.

This probably goes beyond what you're looking for, but the big thing is whether you get a Definitely Promote. Here are the numbers for DP vs. Promote for the same boards above:

Lt Col DP - 20/20 selected
Lt Col P - 18/33 selected

Col DP - 10/11 selected
Col P - 3/22 selected

Whether you get a DP depends not only on how great people think you are, but possibly what assignment you're in at the time your Promotion Recommendation Form (PRF) gets signed. For example, when I hit my Maj board, I was in a MAJCOM that had so few Capts they didn't have a DP to give. I had to go fight for it from the other misfits who didn't get DPs from their MAJCOMs. Or if you end up in AFLOA, I think they basically lock you in a cage with the other few dozen people meeting the board from AFLOA and a few sharp sticks and let you fight it out.
Thank you! These numbers are lower than I had expected. Line officers were at ~75% for Lt Col and ~56% for Col (based off the information AFROTC HQ provided). I thought for sure JAG would be higher (based off the numbers I could have sworn I saw in the past which were close to the 85% and 60% stated for when you came in several years ago). Granted, I know the numbers change every year based off multiple factors and needs of the Air Force.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Anyone have any security clearance horror stories? Does the JAG Corps just kick you out if you can't get cleared?

It would be horrible to pass medical, quit my job, and attend ODS/DCC only to find out a few months later in that I'm ineligible for a secret clearance.

Legaleagle21

New

Post by Legaleagle21 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:30 am

I applied for the paid AF internship a few weeks ago and just got the following email today. What does it mean?

“The following is your referral status for the position or positions to which you applied:

You have been referred to the hiring manager for position GS-0999-7 in Location Negotiable After Selection, United States”

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any security clearance horror stories? Does the JAG Corps just kick you out if you can't get cleared?

It would be horrible to pass medical, quit my job, and attend ODS/DCC only to find out a few months later in that I'm ineligible for a secret clearance.
I don't have any horror stories from people on the front end regarding security clearances, but that's partly because I might not ever get to meet those people.

The good news is that if you're honest on your application regarding your past (e.g., criminal involvement, drug use, credit, etc.) and you're selected, there is a very low chance you would get denied a Secret.

And for the most part, the checks are reasonable. They really do follow their adjudicative guidelines, and the goal is to determine if you're susceptible to anything that would make you a risk. Smoking marijuana in college is probably not a big deal. Having a drug habit that requires you to do things you normally wouldn't to procure drugs would be a huge problem. Having a secret people could blackmail you over is a problem as well. Let's say you have an affair and then in fact pay off your mistress to not tell your wife (or other people about it). That is the exact type of thing background checks are looking for. That would show that you can be (and have been) manipulated by people to cover your secrets. Maybe next time it isn't money, but sliding your blackmailer some info they need. As a defense counsel, I was able to get a few clients back their security clearances, mostly because the process is actually reasonable and focused on whether the person is truly a threat to reveal secrets.

If you want something to fret about, it would be on the medical side. :D I've seen several people not get in because of medical issues that are head-scratchers to us non-medical people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 am

Legaleagle21 wrote:I applied for the paid AF internship a few weeks ago and just got the following email today. What does it mean?

“The following is your referral status for the position or positions to which you applied:

You have been referred to the hiring manager for position GS-0999-7 in Location Negotiable After Selection, United States”
It means you filled out the application properly. You'll learn if you apply to jobs through USAJobs, this email is almost guaranteed if you filled out all the multiple choice correctly (ie gave yourself a high rating).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Legaleagle21 wrote:I applied for the paid AF internship a few weeks ago and just got the following email today. What does it mean?

It means you filled out the application properly. You'll learn if you apply to jobs through USAJobs, this email is almost guaranteed if you filled out all the multiple choice correctly (ie gave yourself a high rating).
Perfect. I knew I had it in me. Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 pm

MEPS question - I was selected for AF JAG during the November 2018 DAP Board and completed the initial medical interview via phone call where we walked through the medical questionnaire/my medical history and I submitted the completed medical documents in early January. I'm lucky in that all my medical history involves is wisdom teeth removal and a slight prescription for glasses (thanks law school) so there was no need for additional medical documentation beyond the required forms but its coming up to almost two month since I have submitted my information and no news about a time to go to MEPS for the physical. Is this normal? Or as normal as it gets? I reached out to the person I spoke to when completing the forms in early February and they said they were waiting to hear back from the MEPS station I would be going to for the physical but I have heard nothing since then. Is it inappropriate to reach out again?

I know that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of but I just kinda figured with my limited medical history, getting through the MEPS process would be easier/quicker? I also have no military background so I could be totally off about all of this.

Anyways, for those of you that have gone through the MEPS process for AF JAG, can you provide some insight to the timeline/process? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm

I hate to keep asking, but has there been any movement at all on OYCP/GLP calls? I'm hoping that not having received a call by now is explained through the snow day at the Pentagon, as well as the board not meeting until sometime during the week of the 11-15th (CORRECTION: WEEK OF THE 18th-22nd), rather than it being a sign of non-selection. I read somewhere that the usual timeline for results to be released is 3 weeks after the board meets, but it seems like the turnaround is slightly faster for the ROTC board on average.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:49 pm

GLP/OYCP UPDATE: I just called the recruiting number and asked about the selection/non-selection notification timeline. I was informed that neither selection nor non-selection notifications have started going out yet and that they are not anticipating those results to begin coming out for another few weeks (15 days to be specific). And, to correct my prior post, I believe the board met the week of the 18th-22nd. Of course, the snow day on the 20th could've delayed this. Hopefully this information is helpful to other applicants: although I hate that the wait continues, it is at least good to know that notifications have not started going out yet either way.

LawDaug

New

Post by LawDaug » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hate to keep asking, but has there been any movement at all on OYCP/GLP calls? I'm hoping that not having received a call by now is explained through the snow day at the Pentagon, as well as the board not meeting until sometime during the week of the 11-15th, rather than it being a sign of non-selection. I read somewhere that the usual timeline for results to be released is 3 weeks after the board meets, but it seems like the turnaround is slightly faster for the ROTC board on average.
I am in the same boat. Have not heard anything yet. However I understand that Externship calls went out day before last, so I'm thinking end of the week. No particular reason for that, just my gut instinct.

LawDaug

New

Post by LawDaug » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Guess my gut was wrong. Thanks for the info!

lharle

New

Post by lharle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MEPS question - I was selected for AF JAG during the November 2018 DAP Board and completed the initial medical interview via phone call where we walked through the medical questionnaire/my medical history and I submitted the completed medical documents in early January. I'm lucky in that all my medical history involves is wisdom teeth removal and a slight prescription for glasses (thanks law school) so there was no need for additional medical documentation beyond the required forms but its coming up to almost two month since I have submitted my information and no news about a time to go to MEPS for the physical. Is this normal? Or as normal as it gets? I reached out to the person I spoke to when completing the forms in early February and they said they were waiting to hear back from the MEPS station I would be going to for the physical but I have heard nothing since then. Is it inappropriate to reach out again?

I know that there is a lot going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of but I just kinda figured with my limited medical history, getting through the MEPS process would be easier/quicker? I also have no military background so I could be totally off about all of this.

Anyways, for those of you that have gone through the MEPS process for AF JAG, can you provide some insight to the timeline/process? Thanks!

I was an October 2017 DAP, went to MEPS September 2018, no significant medical history either. It’s just the way it goes!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:29 pm

LawDaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hate to keep asking, but has there been any movement at all on OYCP/GLP calls? I'm hoping that not having received a call by now is explained through the snow day at the Pentagon, as well as the board not meeting until sometime during the week of the 11-15th, rather than it being a sign of non-selection. I read somewhere that the usual timeline for results to be released is 3 weeks after the board meets, but it seems like the turnaround is slightly faster for the ROTC board on average.
I am in the same boat. Have not heard anything yet. However I understand that Externship calls went out day before last, so I'm thinking end of the week. No particular reason for that, just my gut instinct.
Are you sure about the externship calls? 1Ls or 2Ls? Why would they hand out externship offers before GLP/OYCP and paid internships? Presumably people that are competitive for unpaid positions would be competitive for identical paid positions, no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawDaug wrote:
Are you sure about the externship calls? 1Ls or 2Ls? Why would they hand out externship offers before GLP/OYCP and paid internships? Presumably people that are competitive for unpaid positions would be competitive for identical paid positions, no?
My experience last year was that I got my externship offer before I heard back on the paid internship. I also got the externship offer about a week before I heard back on GLP, so I’m not really sure how the timeline works. My understanding was that people who have been selected for OYCP/GLP are generally not competitive for the paid internship and maybe even the externship because the internship and externship programs are mainly recruiting tools. So, if that is true, it would make sense that internship and externship offers wouldn’t be made until GLP/OYCP selections are made. When I accepted the externship, I called to ask what would happen if I ended up getting selected for the internship. I was informed that if I was later selected for the paid internship, I could withdraw my externship acceptance to take the internship instead, so maybe that’s part of the explanation.

DontTread

New

Post by DontTread » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawDaug wrote:

I can confirm that EXTERNSHIP selections came out ( 2L). However, I would not rule out non-selection quite yet. There was requirements/paperwork that needed submission to the office. I'm sure there would be a couple of people that drop the ball on fulfilling the task. Until you get an email that says no..."It ain't over til the fat lady sings"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:28 pm

lharle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MEPS question - I was selected for AF JAG during the November 2018 DAP Board and completed the initial medical interview via phone call where we walked through the medical questionnaire/my medical history and I submitted the completed medical documents in early January. I'm lucky in that all my medical history involves is wisdom teeth removal and a slight prescription for glasses (thanks law school) so there was no need for additional medical documentation beyond the required forms but its coming up to almost two month since I have submitted my information and no news about a time to go to MEPS for the physical. Is this normal? Or as normal as it gets? I reached out to the person I spoke to when completing the forms in early February and they said they were waiting to hear back from the MEPS station I would be going to for the physical but I have heard nothing since then. Is it inappropriate to reach out again?

I was an October 2017 DAP, went to MEPS September 2018, no significant medical history either. It’s just the way it goes!

Thanks for your insight but I just got a date to go to MEPS haha fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:51 pm

For Amry, no one can log into dodmets/dodmerb yet right?

Rocky123

New

Post by Rocky123 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For Amry, no one can log into dodmets/dodmerb yet right?
I can't either

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
lharle wrote:

Thanks for your insight but I just got a date to go to MEPS haha fingers crossed everything goes smoothly!
Did they email you or call you with your date to go to MEPS?

LawDaug

New

Post by LawDaug » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LawDaug wrote:
I'm sure 1L externship calls went out this week, I know a guy who got an offer. Don't have any first-hand info about 2L externships.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Just got the good news call from my SJA, so it looks like selection notifications for GLP and OYCP have begun. Good luck to everyone in the running!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the good news call from my SJA, so it looks like selection notifications for GLP and OYCP have begun. Good luck to everyone in the running!
Same. I got an acceptance GLP call today as well.

Legaleagle21

New

Post by Legaleagle21 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got the good news call from my SJA, so it looks like selection notifications for GLP and OYCP have begun. Good luck to everyone in the running!
Same. I got an acceptance GLP call today as well.
Congrats to everyone that got a GLP/OYCP call today!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Rocky123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For Amry, no one can log into dodmets/dodmerb yet right?
I can't either
I did and set up an appointment. Try calling dodmets and see whats going on. I am AD btw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”