Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Legaleagle21

New

Re: Military Law

Post by Legaleagle21 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm

I haven’t heard anything yet. My guess is probably tomorrow (Friday) or at latest Monday. Good luck!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 pm

Legaleagle21 wrote:I haven’t heard anything yet. My guess is probably tomorrow (Friday) or at latest Monday. Good luck!
Keep in mind yesterday was a snow day here in DC, to include the Pentagon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reaching out to see if any GLP or OYCP candidates have heard from their SJA yet about results?

I know its early but the wait is killing me. Past years it looks like calls were sent out between the 20th and 25th of Feb. Good luck to everyone
last year calls went out on a Friday (that's when I got mine). I believe when I looked at the dates last year, I noticed a trend of it being Friday (I could be remembering wrong). I would expect calls to go out either tomorrow or next week (probably Friday). Just a Cadet's guess though.

ACP19

New

Post by ACP19 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Air Force or Army JAG

Good afternoon all:

Recently selected for both Air Force and Army JAG active duty and having a tough time choosing between the two. Anyone who has insight into either/both branches culture/day to day life/deployments etc would be great.

Essentially, if given the choice what would you choose and why? Both branches would be amazing to serve with, hence the difficult decision.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:38 pm

ACP19 wrote:Air Force or Army JAG

Good afternoon all:

Recently selected for both Air Force and Army JAG active duty and having a tough time choosing between the two. Anyone who has insight into either/both branches culture/day to day life/deployments etc would be great.

Essentially, if given the choice what would you choose and why? Both branches would be amazing to serve with, hence the difficult decision.

Congrats on running the table!

I'd first encourage you to read the whole thread if you can. It is huge, I know, but there has been this discussion in varying forms over the years.

It is also a difficult topic to address in a concise written post. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk off line on my perspective on the AF side of the house.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ACP19

New

Post by ACP19 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you!

Started tackling this monster thread already. Definitely a better read than the secured transactions I'm supposed to be reading. I'd send you a PM, but unfortunately that feature is locked for me (brand new user). Any insight you can provide, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Back to the thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 pm

I’m wondering if any USAF friends here can help with advice on uniform purchases. How much should I budget? Where will I want to go to buy things (what kinds of things will I need to get through the base vs Amazon etc?). Any items I can hold off on buying until the paychecks start coming in? Advice on tailoring certain items? Good reviews on boots?

Don’t have any military family so I’m new to this whole process and appreciate any advice you can give.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m wondering if any USAF friends here can help with advice on uniform purchases. How much should I budget? Where will I want to go to buy things (what kinds of things will I need to get through the base vs Amazon etc?). Any items I can hold off on buying until the paychecks start coming in? Advice on tailoring certain items? Good reviews on boots?

Don’t have any military family so I’m new to this whole process and appreciate any advice you can give.
This has been discussed extensively throughout the thread.

I recently posted on some of the issues you have questions on here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10351793

I'd make sure you are tracking on if you will be in ABUs for OTS (I'm assuming you are a direct commission) or if you are in a later OCP class.

I know I've talked uniform stuff previously, as have a number of our other AF JAG posters. Budget at least $2K. I bet some of the newer JAGs on this thread can weigh in with what it cost them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:44 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’m wondering if any USAF friends here can help with advice on uniform purchases. How much should I budget? Where will I want to go to buy things (what kinds of things will I need to get through the base vs Amazon etc?). Any items I can hold off on buying until the paychecks start coming in? Advice on tailoring certain items? Good reviews on boots?

This has been discussed extensively throughout the thread.

I recently posted on some of the issues you have questions on here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10351793

I'd make sure you are tracking on if you will be in ABUs for OTS (I'm assuming you are a direct commission) or if you are in a later OCP class.

I know I've talked uniform stuff previously, as have a number of our other AF JAG posters. Budget at least $2K. I bet some of the newer JAGs on this thread can weigh in with what it cost them.
Mess + Service + 2/3 sets of ABUs was around 2k. I used an online source to have my ABUs tailored with elastic so I didn't need to use blousing straps. Also having your rank already on the uniform was a huge advantage. They take forever at Maxwell to get your stuff done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 pm

Interviewed with the USAF this week. Good luck to everyone applying!

Legaleagle21

New

Post by Legaleagle21 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Any movement re: OYCP/GLP calls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:54 pm

None here, east coast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:08 pm

OYCP applicant, and I haven’t gotten anything here either. Midwest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

advet

New

Post by advet » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any fellow Army AD alternate list folks been contacted, or even culled from the alt list to jump in the AD group? I imagine that pulls from the alt list into the process will happen in “waves” or bulk bursts. So I guess I’m curious if the first wave as a result of some number of non acceptances from AD selectees has happened yet or not.

Thanks!
On the AD alternate list also. I haven’t been contacted and so far, don’t know of anyone else on the alternate list that has either. I would imagine the greatest number slots open from people who initially decline and from those medically disqualified. If you’re not in the the first wave of inital AD declines, the next wave would probably be medically disqualified and that probably won’t happen until eary to mid summer. Which is probably why JARO is pushing the AD people through first. As AD slots open (fingers crossed) some people from the primary Reserve list will fill those slots, then people on the Reserve alternate list can move to the primary Reserve list.
I think I know what you are saying, and yes that makes sense. Glad there are other AD alt listers lurking here. Not alone, lol. Happy to DM and compare notes on the process or information as it gets dessiminated.

Good luck and god speed to those of us waiting. And those ADers waiting on Medical processing.. :roll:
I would be happy to DM and share / compare any of information, but unfortunately I can’t yet PM here. I know there have been times no alternates were offered slots. I don’t personally know anyone who was selected from the AD alternate list. I have heard stories of it happening and JARO confirmed that they do take people from the list, but I would be interested in hearing from or about anyone who has actually been moved to AD from the alternate list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Another Army AD guy wondering about DODMETS.

I actually went back through past posts to see when people were able to schedule their appointments but couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard anything...or know about when we'd most likely hear something?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:23 pm

advet wrote:
Dawg57 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any fellow Army AD alternate list folks been contacted, or even culled from the alt list to jump in the AD group? I imagine that pulls from the alt list into the process will happen in “waves” or bulk bursts. So I guess I’m curious if the first wave as a result of some number of non acceptances from AD selectees has happened yet or not.

Thanks!
On the AD alternate list also. I haven’t been contacted and so far, don’t know of anyone else on the alternate list that has either. I would imagine the greatest number slots open from people who initially decline and from those medically disqualified. If you’re not in the the first wave of inital AD declines, the next wave would probably be medically disqualified and that probably won’t happen until eary to mid summer. Which is probably why JARO is pushing the AD people through first. As AD slots open (fingers crossed) some people from the primary Reserve list will fill those slots, then people on the Reserve alternate list can move to the primary Reserve list.
I think I know what you are saying, and yes that makes sense. Glad there are other AD alt listers lurking here. Not alone, lol. Happy to DM and compare notes on the process or information as it gets dessiminated.

Good luck and god speed to those of us waiting. And those ADers waiting on Medical processing.. :roll:
I would be happy to DM and share / compare any of information, but unfortunately I can’t yet PM here. I know there have been times no alternates were offered slots. I don’t personally know anyone who was selected from the AD alternate list. I have heard stories of it happening and JARO confirmed that they do take people from the list, but I would be interested in hearing from or about anyone who has actually been moved to AD from the alternate list.
Yes I was picked up from the alternate list. It took about 4 to 5 months. I just made it very clear I was interested in AD and I was ready and willing to go even on short notice.

Also if JARO sends you forms to fill out do it asap and continue to show your interest in becoming a Jag. Good luck!

ACP19

New

Post by ACP19 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another Army AD guy wondering about DODMETS.

I actually went back through past posts to see when people were able to schedule their appointments but couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard anything...or know about when we'd most likely hear something?
I spoke with JARO last week and they were still in the process of putting individuals into the system and that we should be able to access DODMETS soon.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Conster31

New

Post by Conster31 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Any AD Army people who want to keep in touch and update each other throughout the process, private message me. Thinking of creating an email list or a FB group so we can all communicate easier.

jam313

New

Post by jam313 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am

Conster31 wrote:Any AD Army people who want to keep in touch and update each other throughout the process, private message me. Thinking of creating an email list or a FB group so we can all communicate easier.
I'm down -- PM'd ya.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Navy JAGC is offering paid summer internships - deadline is 6 March via USAJobs.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/525435300

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:57 pm

We just got an email that said we can log in. I am still unable to do so. Called DODMETs and they said they cant find me in the system....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:20 pm

Has anyone heard anything on OYCP/GLP calls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything on OYCP/GLP calls?
I’m an East Coast GLP applicant and haven’t heard anything

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm looking for some information about promotion timelines and selection percentages for AF. I've searched through the thread and am unable to find what I'm looking for, I thought I had previously seen this information but now can't find it again. I did see PB's post almost on point but I'm looking for a little more clarification.

I know the following details:
- promote to Captain after 6 months 100%
- promote to Major after ~7 years 95%.

Does anyone have the same information for Lt Col and Col? How long is it from Maj to Lt Col, what percentage of JAGs are selected (I've found the AF as a whole, but I know JAG percentages differ)? Then same for Lt Col to Col, how long and what percentage? Hopefully someone can provide this information, or at least a source where I can look.

Me:
- current 3L
- participating in OYCP, commission in May
- using this information for a brief I'm giving comparing JAG career progression to other line officer progressions

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm

SamSmith1220 wrote:Anyone selected for JARO Reserves heard anything yet? I see AD folks have received an e-mail already.
Called JARO. They're not done processing the Statement of Intents. E-mail to be expected some time in March for Reserves.

Looks like RC has a slower timeline than AD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”