Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
electriklemon

New

Re: Military Law

Post by electriklemon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Also selected as a reserve alternate.

But I think anyone on the reserve alternate list has a good chance!

There are 65 duplicate names for the Primary Active Duty and Primary Reserve selection list; and furthermore, there are 18 people selected for primary Reserves on the Active Duty wait list.

Just hoping those 65 people on the Active Duty primary list all choose active duty to open the Reserve spots! :P

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Accepted as a Primary Army Reserve JAG!

Now to clear medical waivers and cut booze and soda from my diet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Congratulations to those selected. None select for internship here. Holding out hope for AF OYCP though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Anybody else accepted for AF DAP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations to those selected. None select for internship here.
Don't let this discourage you from applying to active duty if that's what you want. I was dinged for the internship but picked up active duty the next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dwill1234

New

Post by dwill1234 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:14 am

Does anyone know about the process of becoming an Army Reserve JAG? I am currently an Engineer Captain in the Army Reserve and starting law school next fall. I don't have any desire to go back on active duty after I graduate, but I am interested in switching over to JAG in the Reserve. What is the process like? Anything I should do now to start preparing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:56 pm

Congrats to those that made it!

Question: if someone had an internship with the Army, what would make them not get selected for active duty or the reserves?

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 pm

dwill1234 wrote:Does anyone know about the process of becoming an Army Reserve JAG? I am currently an Engineer Captain in the Army Reserve and starting law school next fall. I don't have any desire to go back on active duty after I graduate, but I am interested in switching over to JAG in the Reserve. What is the process like? Anything I should do now to start preparing?
Read this thread. Everything you need to know about the process for selection has already been discussed. The early pages of the thread are especially helpful.

In short, the process for the Army is largely the same for both active and reserve (at least through the application stage). The Army takes JAG applications once per year in the fall and you can apply beginning in the fall of your 3L year.

dwill1234

New

Post by dwill1234 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:42 am

MarkfromWI wrote:
dwill1234 wrote:Does anyone know about the process of becoming an Army Reserve JAG? I am currently an Engineer Captain in the Army Reserve and starting law school next fall. I don't have any desire to go back on active duty after I graduate, but I am interested in switching over to JAG in the Reserve. What is the process like? Anything I should do now to start preparing?
Read this thread. Everything you need to know about the process for selection has already been discussed. The early pages of the thread are especially helpful.

In short, the process for the Army is largely the same for both active and reserve (at least through the application stage). The Army takes JAG applications once per year in the fall and you can apply beginning in the fall of your 3L year.
Will do, thanks. It seemed like most of the stuff on here was either from people not already in or those trying to do active duty, but it’s good to know that it’s basically the same process either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:27 pm

205th-

I missed the conference call last week/2 weeks ago- can anyone fill me in?

thxrho

New

Post by thxrho » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:205th-

I missed the conference call last week/2 weeks ago- can anyone fill me in?
PM me with your phone number, I can call you and give the overview pretty quickly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:56 am

does anyone in the january class know when we actually commission? and is there a procedure for us to pay for the uniform/equipment...like is an advance on wages possible....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 pm

I was not selected for the Army internship, and am assuming I will not be selected for the AF OYCP. With that in mind, I am working on plans for next summer. I currently have a paying gig during the school year with a prosecutor’s office and have the option to stay through the summer.

My end goal is to get JAG. Would it be more beneficial for me to get an externship with one of the branches or stay at the prosecutor’s office? Do externships with the Army or AF help at all in terms of being selected for active duty JAG?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Labrador911

New

Post by Labrador911 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was not selected for the Army internship, and am assuming I will not be selected for the AF OYCP. With that in mind, I am working on plans for next summer. I currently have a paying gig during the school year with a prosecutor’s office and have the option to stay through the summer.

My end goal is to get JAG. Would it be more beneficial for me to get an externship with one of the branches or stay at the prosecutor’s office? Do externships with the Army or AF help at all in terms of being selected for active duty JAG?
I'm not sure with Army, but an externship/internship with AF that gets you a recommendation letter with at least an 0-5 will be helpful. I interned and got a recommendation from an 0-5 and 0-6 and got selected for DAP.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do externships with the Army or AF help at all in terms of being selected for active duty JAG?
This has been posted on extensively - I know I did a few posts on this subject fairly recently.
Anonymous User wrote:Would it be more beneficial for me to get an externship with one of the branches or stay at the prosecutor’s office?
This is a close-ish call for me - if you are able to have an excellent externship (i.e., the SJA and other folks like you, you fit in, etc) the benefits of that would likely make it easier for you to land a DAP slot. Your academic year with the prosecutor's office will already be sufficient for a letter of rec and to have a solid resume entry, so there is not a lot gained in my opinion from an additional three months there. All other things being equal, you likely will benefit more from The JAG Experience.

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was not selected for the Army internship, and am assuming I will not be selected for the AF OYCP. With that in mind, I am working on plans for next summer. I currently have a paying gig during the school year with a prosecutor’s office and have the option to stay through the summer.

Is there a reason you aren't applying for the Navy summer internship? Application isn't due until mid-January...

connatty2016

New

Post by connatty2016 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 pm

I was notified that I was accepted into Army and Air Force Active Duty JAG Corps. This was my first application for the Army and third for the Air Force.

Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Law School GPA: 3.312
Passed Bar: 2016
I have been employed with a small general practice form since 9/2016.

I am excited but also worried about the medical process. I played college football and am very physically active. However, I have a couple past injuries that may be disqualifying (suffered a cervical strain while weight lifting on two separate occasions). I recieved an evaluation from my orthopedic stating the injury is healed and I have no limitations that would interfere with military training/service. I also sustained a hip injury recently while running, which I am currently recovering from.

Further, as a child I was treated for asthma related symptoms. I have not received any treatment after the age of 10, and have recently under went a PFT which showed that I have normal lung function. Does anyone know whether JAGs have a better chance at waivers than regular enlisted/other officers? Is any particular branch more liberal with medical waivers?

Thank you and congratulations to all those who also were selected. To those who were not, don't give up, keep trying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:51 pm

OP Annon.
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would it be more beneficial for me to get an externship with one of the branches or stay at the prosecutor’s office?
This is a close-ish call for me - if you are able to have an excellent externship (i.e., the SJA and other folks like you, you fit in, etc) the benefits of that would likely make it easier for you to land a DAP slot. Your academic year with the prosecutor's office will already be sufficient for a letter of rec and to have a solid resume entry, so there is not a lot gained in my opinion from an additional three months there. All other things being equal, you likely will benefit more from the JAG experience.
Thank you, this feedback is very useful. The only benefit I could think of for staying with the prosecutor's office would be the pay. But in the grand scheme of things, $20/hour ($800/week) for 10 weeks, doesn't amount to that much. As you pointed out, if I'm able to get a couple LORs out of the externship that will likely be more beneficial.
Elle in Combat Boots wrote:
Is there a reason you aren't applying for the Navy summer internship? Application isn't due until mid-January...
The only reason I have not applied for Navy internships is due to not having any friends or family near naval bases. This is only a concern due to housing costs. I have applied for the spring board for the Navy. I still might throw in an application for their internship. Additionally, the AF internship hasn't been posted yet, but I will be applying for that as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I will be applying for the externships. Hopefully I am picked up for the OYCP or an internship though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone in the january class know when we actually commission? and is there a procedure for us to pay for the uniform/equipment...like is an advance on wages possible....
You are expected to pay for your uniforms and equipment on your own, no advanced wages. You will technically officially commission your first week of DCC (this is different from your Reserve commission they require you to do before you go to DCC and to get your orders).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone in the january class know when we actually commission? and is there a procedure for us to pay for the uniform/equipment...like is an advance on wages possible....
You are expected to pay for your uniforms and equipment on your own, no advanced wages. You will technically officially commission your first week of DCC (this is different from your Reserve commission they require you to do before you go to DCC and to get your orders).
ok thank you, ended up going USAA career starter loan route!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do they have the Military Star thing at DCC?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 pm

connatty2016 wrote: I am excited but also worried about the medical process. I played college football and am very physically active. However, I have a couple past injuries that may be disqualifying (suffered a cervical strain while weight lifting on two separate occasions). I recieved an evaluation from my orthopedic stating the injury is healed and I have no limitations that would interfere with military training/service. I also sustained a hip injury recently while running, which I am currently recovering from.

Further, as a child I was treated for asthma related symptoms. I have not received any treatment after the age of 10, and have recently under went a PFT which showed that I have normal lung function. Does anyone know whether JAGs have a better chance at waivers than regular enlisted/other officers? Is any particular branch more liberal with medical waivers?
Replying Anon due to disclosure of medical information. (1) Sounds like you've already started putting together a great record for avoiding disqualification due to the strain; be sure to provide those records to the board. (2) Carefully read the DoDMERB medical history form for yourself, but you may find that the "hip injury" may only need to be disclosed if it is a diagnosed condition. (3) Regarding the asthma related symptoms, I was disqualified by DoDMERB and given a waiver by HRC (Army) due to a similar condition. You'll need to explain your current status with a letter explaining your lack of problems, possibly including a letter from a physician.

In general, I think you have little reason to worry if you can establish that there are no limitations on your ability to serve. We're predisposed to worrying though, so good luck with that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:10 pm

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do they have the Military Star thing at DCC?
what does the military star entail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:11 pm

3L AF DAP selectee here. Does anybody know when you commission and get your assignment for USAF? Is it after you're medically qualified or after your pass the bar?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L AF DAP selectee here. Does anybody know when you commission and get your assignment for USAF? Is it after you're medically qualified or after your pass the bar?
After both. Then your date of commissioning for active duty will be the date you start traveling to COT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”