Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:22 pm

Quick question regarding the "good moral character" aspect of the application.

I have been charged with several minor misdemeanors, one when I was 17 and three from one incident when I was 19. All charges were dropped and I have had no transgressions since, so my record is clear. For some other background, I come from a Navy family and will be attending a T20 law school (likely T14) in fall.

Is JAG completely out of the question based on these past indiscretions?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Quick question regarding the "good moral character" aspect of the application.

I have been charged with several minor misdemeanors, one when I was 17 and three from one incident when I was 19. All charges were dropped and I have had no transgressions since, so my record is clear. For some other background, I come from a Navy family and will be attending a T20 law school (likely T14) in fall.

Is JAG completely out of the question based on these past indiscretions?
If charges were dropped, I can't imagine it would be an auto ding. Just be sure you have your documentation and be prepared to answer questions about it. Also be sure to keep the stuff handy as the same questions will come up during your security clearance background checks (and every periodic review 5 or 10 yrs depending on clearance)

Good luck!

Wino

New

Post by Wino » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:49 pm

What about a bankruptcy and shoddy credit history in one's past?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:03 pm

For both of the background questions, you can check out the JAG application to get an idea of what you would have to disclose: --LinkRemoved--

You should also check out the Standard Form 86 which is the security clearance application:
http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

I do recall from my security clearance conversations that financial issues are generally of the more common reasons (according to the guy I talked to) for denying a security clearance.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:23 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:I do recall from my security clearance conversations that financial issues are generally of the more common reasons (according to the guy I talked to) for denying a security clearance.
I had several Sailors who worked for me who lost their clearances for financial reasons. More often than not, it was the trying to hide the issue (not disclosing on the SF86) that was the bigger problem.

Just be completely open. Get your own credit report (http://www.annualcreditreport.com) and if it's on there, make sure it's on your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

manda214

New

Post by manda214 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Ok, I know people haven't posted in here for a while, but I had a question about AF JAG.

I'm married, graduating law school in May, and my husband is attending law school in the fall. I would be supporting him financially, so I would need to live where he is going to school. There is only one AF base (Scott AFB in Belleville, IL) within commuting distance of his law school (St. Louis). Is it worth applying for JAG when I could only accept if I were placed at that base? I know you get to rank choices, but I also know you aren't going to get your top choices usually. I'm just wondering if it's worth the headache of applying when my options are so limited. I'd really like to be able to do JAG, but I'm just wondering realistically if there would be any chance of me getting my top base choice (though it IS in southern Illinois, where I'm guessing not many people want to be! Haha).

Thanks!!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:23 pm

manda214 wrote:Ok, I know people haven't posted in here for a while, but I had a question about AF JAG.

I'm married, graduating law school in May, and my husband is attending law school in the fall. I would be supporting him financially, so I would need to live where he is going to school. There is only one AF base (Scott AFB in Belleville, IL) within commuting distance of his law school (St. Louis). Is it worth applying for JAG when I could only accept if I were placed at that base? I know you get to rank choices, but I also know you aren't going to get your top choices usually. I'm just wondering if it's worth the headache of applying when my options are so limited. I'd really like to be able to do JAG, but I'm just wondering realistically if there would be any chance of me getting my top base choice (though it IS in southern Illinois, where I'm guessing not many people want to be! Haha).

Thanks!!
I wouldn't be too optimistic that you'll be able to say Scott or bust. But even if you can make it work for your first tour, what happens when you transfer to your next duty station? He'll probably be just finishing LS when you get your next set of orders. Even if he joins AF JAG too, there is no guarantee for co-location.

Good luck in trying to decide what to do. I can tell you that moves & separations aren't fun, but I loved it at the same time. (Obviously, or I wouldn't have kept at it all this time :lol: )

manda214

New

Post by manda214 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah, right now my thinking is that I might as well try and see what happens. In the off chance I could get placed where I want to begin, I think it's worth it. Can't know unless you try I guess!

And, I know I'd be relocated after 2-3 years, but it's not as big of a deal to live separately at that point I figure (since hubby would hopefully be getting some income at that point!).

And, what is with the full-length photo requirement? Is that in a suit I'm guessing? And does it need to be a professional photo or can I take it myself? I've never heard of requiring a photo for an app!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Check with your JAG recruiter, because photo rqmts vary by service and the type of application. My guess is you'll be able to do it yourself. Barring any specific dress requirements, the only advice I have is remember who your audience is-- they'll likely expect professional dress (suit). Maybe a recent applicant can shed more light?

Good luck. I had a Navy friend settle near Scott AFB after he got out and really enjoyed it there! (Just be sure to get every recruiter's promise in writing!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickc321

New

Post by nickc321 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:17 pm

manda214 wrote:Yeah, right now my thinking is that I might as well try and see what happens. In the off chance I could get placed where I want to begin, I think it's worth it. Can't know unless you try I guess!

And, I know I'd be relocated after 2-3 years, but it's not as big of a deal to live separately at that point I figure (since hubby would hopefully be getting some income at that point!).

And, what is with the full-length photo requirement? Is that in a suit I'm guessing? And does it need to be a professional photo or can I take it myself? I've never heard of requiring a photo for an app!

It is so they know you aren't a sea cow (aka fat). My application said wear what you normally would to court in your picture, so it was either an orange jumpsuit or a normal one; I opted for the latter. I took my picture with a run of the mill digital camera and my interviewer said it was fine. This was for AF.

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:46 pm

This thread has been a great source of info and help. Thanks!

ddeord3

New

Post by ddeord3 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:31 am

Hi! I have a question for anyone with answers. I go to a T4 law school is that going to hurt my chances of being accepted into a AF JAG program? Would you recommend this JAG program above other military branches?

VandyCandy

New

Post by VandyCandy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 am

From my understanding of JAG (and I intend to serve in there, too) going to a T14 law school will only help you get accepted!

Good luck :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 am

ddeord3 wrote:Hi! I have a question for anyone with answers. I go to a T4 law school is that going to hurt my chances of being accepted into a AF JAG program? Would you recommend this JAG program above other military branches?
I think what Vandy means is that going to a T14 helps, but going to a T4 doesn't hurt. JAG claims to interview with almost all of the ABA approved law schools.

The Marines is the hardest to get into.

The Army only hires through Direct Appointment, so you have to apply your 3L year.

The Air Force has the Two Year program, and the One Year, so you can apply during either your 1L or 2L year. By doing this you have to take a couple ROTC classes, but once you graduate law school, you are guaranteed a spot as a JAG. the AF also does direct appointment as well, but it is much more competitive.

VandyCandy

New

Post by VandyCandy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Sorry! I misread the post this morning. But yes, like J-Rod said, the best ranked schools will probably carry the most clout, but JAG does consider applicants from all accredited law schools. So if you do well and pass all the medical/physical/security tests, you should be competitive!

nickc321

New

Post by nickc321 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 pm

ddeord3 wrote:Hi! I have a question for anyone with answers. I go to a T4 law school is that going to hurt my chances of being accepted into a AF JAG program? Would you recommend this JAG program above other military branches?
As long as it is ABA accredited they don't care if your degree says Yale or Cooley.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:07 am

As far as assignments go, I know it was talked about a little bit earlier... Should I do the JAG program from 1L on... what are my chances of getting my choice of base assignments AND do they make me go to a law school of their choosing or will I just be a part of the program at whatever ABA school I want to go to?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 am

savagedm wrote:As far as assignments go, I know it was talked about a little bit earlier... Should I do the JAG program from 1L on... what are my chances of getting my choice of base assignments AND do they make me go to a law school of their choosing or will I just be a part of the program at whatever ABA school I want to go to?
Assuming you get accepted, you can go to any ABA approved school.

I believe the only branch you can sign up with your 1L year is the Air Force. I believe the Navy, AF, and Marines you can sign up for during your 2L, and you can apply to all of the your 3L.

I know that with the AF you will be told your first base assignment before you incur any military obligation. In addition, the AF gives you the opportunity to list your top 3 choices for where to base out of. There is no guarantee that you'll get one of them though.

Rolloss

New

Post by Rolloss » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:23 am

I want to join the Air Force as a JAG and be stationed in Germany for the rest of my life. I'm a 1L at a T20 and in the top 1/4 of my class. What steps do I take to get there? I speak some German, if it helps, but not much. I would also be willing to join any other branch of the armed forces, if they'll station me in Germany. Actually, I would be willing to work for a private employer too, if they put me in Germany. Basically, I'm going to have a law degree in two years and want to live in Germany. How do I do this?

J-Rod

Silver

Post by J-Rod » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:11 am

Rolloss wrote:I want to join the Air Force as a JAG and be stationed in Germany for the rest of my life. I'm a 1L at a T20 and in the top 1/4 of my class. What steps do I take to get there? I speak some German, if it helps, but not much. I would also be willing to join any other branch of the armed forces, if they'll station me in Germany. Actually, I would be willing to work for a private employer too, if they put me in Germany. Basically, I'm going to have a law degree in two years and want to live in Germany. How do I do this?
Speaking German would help you with any branch if you wanted to end up there. There is no guarantee that you will however. I know in the Air Force you know where you'll be stationed before you actually incur any obligation, so that helps . . . but with the Military, there is no guarantee you'll end up where you want.

If you really wanted to end up in Germany, your best bet would be to interview with firms who have major offices in Germany . . . I'd become fluent in German before I started going after that though

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:40 pm

Rolloss wrote:I want to join the Air Force as a JAG and be stationed in Germany for the rest of my life. I'm a 1L at a T20 and in the top 1/4 of my class. What steps do I take to get there? I speak some German, if it helps, but not much. I would also be willing to join any other branch of the armed forces, if they'll station me in Germany. Actually, I would be willing to work for a private employer too, if they put me in Germany. Basically, I'm going to have a law degree in two years and want to live in Germany. How do I do this?
With some exception, you are going to be moving every 24-36 months in the Air Force. Some JAGs I know managed to stay 4 years in the same base (generally after landing Area Defense Counsel for that base they were ASJAs at) but the AF is trying to limit that.

If you want say in where you are going to live and work, the military is not the place to be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

screech

New

Post by screech » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:28 pm

I noticed they look at LSAT percentile/score. What score does one need to be a JAG?

snakemongler84

New

Post by snakemongler84 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:38 pm

I know one of the branches listed a minimum of 150. Not sure if that goes for all, though.

screech

New

Post by screech » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:42 pm

snakemongler84 wrote:I know one of the branches listed a minimum of 150. Not sure if that goes for all, though.
That seems low.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:51 pm

wow, my 167 has me virtually guaranteed a good job so long as i do well in my law school career :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”