Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still silence for me on the internship front. Seems weird they would sent out rejections to some and not acceptances or more rejections the day after
Same. I'm wondering if maybe I should call the 1-800-JAG-USAF number?
I would do that if I didn't already message them on Facebook last Tuesday asking when we would receive a decision. They replied saying within the next week which ends today

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Anyone know if it's getting easier to get a reserve JAG with the army/air force/navy? I'm a practicing estate planning attorney that has always had an itch to join the reserves.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 am

FSUAttorney wrote:Anyone know if it's getting easier to get a reserve JAG with the army/air force/navy? I'm a practicing estate planning attorney that has always had an itch to join the reserves.
Army is probably your best bet. Navy doesn't let you join the reserves directly; you can only join after doing an initial period of active duty. Air Force does let people go straight into the reserves but strongly prefers the the person have at least two years legal work experience and prior military experience. They also only take a few people: most of their reserve JAGs are former active duty.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:11 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
FSUAttorney wrote:Anyone know if it's getting easier to get a reserve JAG with the army/air force/navy? I'm a practicing estate planning attorney that has always had an itch to join the reserves.
Army is probably your best bet.
Including National Guard.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Yeah, there's also the NG. I'd go NG over the Reserves if I was committed to staying in one state long term, Reserves if you see yourself potentially moving.

To answer your question as to whether it's easy to get a Guard/Reserve JAG spot: I wouldn't say it's a gimme but it's much easier than active duty. You'll have to do an interview with a Reserve/Guard JAG officer as part of the application process, and the big thing they look for there is a mature understanding of what the Reserves/Guard is all about. Basically, do you understand what you're getting into, or are you just a weirdo who thinks it would be sweet to wear a uniform one weekend a month. So the big thing there is do some research in advance so you can ask informed questions and show that you've given it some thought. Oh, and don't be fat. They're also going to want to make sure you look like you could pass a PT test without dying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still silence for me on the internship front. Seems weird they would sent out rejections to some and not acceptances or more rejections the day after
So I sent an email to the gmail account and received a reply that everyone has been notified either way. I still haven't received notification either way so idk. I guess I'm just forever in limbo?

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah, there's also the NG. I'd go NG over the Reserves if I was committed to staying in one state long term, Reserves if you see yourself potentially moving.

To answer your question as to whether it's easy to get a Guard/Reserve JAG spot: I wouldn't say it's a gimme but it's much easier than active duty. You'll have to do an interview with a Reserve/Guard JAG officer as part of the application process, and the big thing they look for there is a mature understanding of what the Reserves/Guard is all about. Basically, do you understand what you're getting into, or are you just a weirdo who thinks it would be sweet to wear a uniform one weekend a month. So the big thing there is do some research in advance so you can ask informed questions and show that you've given it some thought. Oh, and don't be fat. They're also going to want to make sure you look like you could pass a PT test without dying.
Thanks for the info! Mind if I shoot you a pm/email and pick your brain on the process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I sent an email to the gmail account and received a reply that everyone has been notified either way. I still haven't received notification either way so idk. I guess I'm just forever in limbo?
I haven't received anything either and just emailed them letting them know I didn't receive my results

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I sent an email to the gmail account and received a reply that everyone has been notified either way. I still haven't received notification either way so idk. I guess I'm just forever in limbo?
I haven't received anything either and just emailed them letting them know I didn't receive my results
Captain Hooper just keeps trying to tell me that I was notified. Which I wasn't. I've checked every email I have, in all my folders, and I have no email. Which makes me think that my application got lost somewhere in the process and didn't even get considered :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Captain Hooper just keeps trying to tell me that I was notified. Which I wasn't. I've checked every email I have, in all my folders, and I have no email. Which makes me think that my application got lost somewhere in the process and didn't even get considered :/
Yepp. Looks like USAJOBS referred my application but it never got to USAFJAG. -_-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:08 pm

I got a quick reply from Captain Hooper saying I was not selected and they couldn't notify me because my email was not on my resume. I don't know anyone who was selected for the internship for what it is worth

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:40 pm

FSUAttorney wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Yeah, there's also the NG. I'd go NG over the Reserves if I was committed to staying in one state long term, Reserves if you see yourself potentially moving.

Thanks for the info! Mind if I shoot you a pm/email and pick your brain on the process?
Sure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:46 pm

It's possible they're just taking a really small number of interns this year. Fortunately, my school has a guaranteed summer funding, so it's not a big deal for me either way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:54 pm

For Army selectees, where did you go to get your drug tests done? My insurance won't cover them since they're not for a medical purpose or regular physical. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to get them done at a lab that regularly does employment drug tests.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Did mine through my school's health clinic.

catcher77

New

Post by catcher77 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:14 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any experience submitting an application for JAG through direct appointment while currently an active duty officer in another community?

I am completing my second division officer tour in the Navy and have recently passed the bar exam. I spoke with a LT today and I was told my only option to apply was through direct appointment. I would have to be selected and then conditionally released from my current community into JAG ( I am not sure how likely this is) and I would have to go through MEPS again. I know the application for Spring will not be due for awhile, but I am set to deploy again soon, so I need to start my application sooner rather than later. Any insight or helpful hints would be appreciated.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yepp. Looks like USAJOBS referred my application but it never got to USAFJAG. -_-
UGH! If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me last summer. I was referred on my first board. Don't give up!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mkephart

New

Post by mkephart » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm

aka123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
UGH! If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me last summer. I was referred on my first board. Don't give up!
Were you ever able to figure out why it happened?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Quick question--

I remember in the active duty conference call they mentioned you need to be barred for two months prior to getting into a respective class. They mentioned you need to pick your preferred class -where is that done/when were we supposed to do this?

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:51 pm

mkephart wrote:
aka123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Were you ever able to figure out why it happened?
Nope and neither was Captain Hooper or anyone at the office able to. All the emails I received said referred so I patiently waited to hear back. I got antsy one day and finally called. The two individuals I spoke to at the office were as perplexed as I was when they manually reviewed my file and saw that everything had been submitted with a week to spare. I left my number for a supervisor to review and call me back. Was later told that everything was good to go and that my application was with the board. A few days later, I received an automated emailing saying my application was incomplete and not referred. By that point, the summer notifications had been posted and no more spots were available. The initial presumption was that I had submitted documents late, which is pretty impossible because the submission option disappears. I would love to take personal responsibility but I don't think there was anything I could have done differently. I'm sorry someone else had to go through that again. I remember how dejected and pissed off I was when it happened.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick question--

I remember in the active duty conference call they mentioned you need to be barred for two months prior to getting into a respective class. They mentioned you need to pick your preferred class -where is that done/when were we supposed to do this?
I think the only place for newly selected ADs to put down our preferences was in the Statement of Intent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:51 pm

On the Accepted JAGs webpage it says we have to get appointments through the medical exams done by May 1. Anyone have any idea what that entails?

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the Accepted JAGs webpage it says we have to get appointments through the medical exams done by May 1. Anyone have any idea what that entails?
It entails the medical appointments (physical, eye, drug test), OPAT (strength test), and paperwork listed on the same page.

Some of that stuff can be tricky to schedule especially with the required procedures, so I suggest you do it ASAP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:49 pm

hkh2220 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On the Accepted JAGs webpage it says we have to get appointments through the medical exams done by May 1. Anyone have any idea what that entails?
It entails the medical appointments (physical, eye, drug test), OPAT (strength test), and paperwork listed on the same page.

Some of that stuff can be tricky to schedule especially with the required procedures, so I suggest you do it ASAP
Thank you for your response and the information. Is this confirmed from JAG HQ or is it stated somewhere for certain?

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hkh2220 wrote:

Thank you for your response and the information. Is this confirmed from JAG HQ or is it stated somewhere for certain?
Assuming you are doing Army active duty, it's on the accepted JAs page

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/Sites/jaro ... 30004229C6

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”