Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Will those of us who were selected through GLP or OYCP get to submit a new wish list for bases, or is the one we submitted with our application what will be looked at? (I know that wish lists are just that, wishes, and there's no guarantee that I will even get a base on my list)

wrangler9

New

Post by wrangler9 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Any July 2018 bar exam takers able to get into the (Army) October class? I got my results last week and swear in/receive my letter of good standing next week!

If not, has anyone heard anything from JARO about the next steps to get into January class? All my paperwork is submitted (letter of good standing will get sent in next week) and medical done. Thanks!

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will those of us who were selected through GLP or OYCP get to submit a new wish list for bases, or is the one we submitted with our application what will be looked at? (I know that wish lists are just that, wishes, and there's no guarantee that I will even get a base on my list)
You will be able to submit a new one.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:49 pm

wrangler9 wrote:Any July 2018 bar exam takers able to get into the (Army) October class? I got my results last week and swear in/receive my letter of good standing next week!

If not, has anyone heard anything from JARO about the next steps to get into January class? All my paperwork is submitted (letter of good standing will get sent in next week) and medical done. Thanks!
WOW. Your state processes super fast. I'm a Feb 2018 taker and I only just got admitted. Waiting for my letter of GS. I sent an email to JARO when my medical finally cleared but got radio silence. I believe once you send in your letter of GS, the wheels start turning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:05 am

Any October 2018 Army class people still awaiting orders? Have any gotten your orders or IRR already?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

annon1234

New

Post by annon1234 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Anyone going into the Army Jan class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 pm

annon1234 wrote:Anyone going into the Army Jan class?

I should have my letter of good standing in about a week and that’s the last part of paperwork that JARO needs. I’m assuming that I will be in the January class...but I have no confirmation from them on that. Are you already notified that you are in the January class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I should have my letter of good standing in about a week and that’s the last part of paperwork that JARO needs. I’m assuming that I will be in the January class...but I have no confirmation from them on that. Are you already notified that you are in the January class?
Can you send me a PM?

annon1234

New

Post by annon1234 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Can you send me a PM?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:45 pm

annon1234 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can you send me a PM?
It’s not working. Shoot me an email. bnethken@gmail.com

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 am

Hey everyone,

Any word on the results of the Air Force September DAP Board?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

I believe both positive and negative results have been going out. Are you waiting on results?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:12 am

Hey everyone,

Just received rejection email this morning.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 am

Has anyone requested feedback from their FSO/interviewees and received anything useful for reapplication to the next round? Curious if they are able to tell you why you why they didn't rank you higher or what you could possibly change for the next selection board.

I also got rejected from Air Force and have my Army FSO interview coming up...wondering if they are able to give me any useful feedback to use in my next interview.

Rocky123

New

Post by Rocky123 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 pm

I also received my rejection e-mail from USAF this morning. Not a pleasant way to start the day! While I knew this was a real possibility, I'm still pretty disappointed. But at least there's another board in November!

Since they said they weren't giving individual feedback before the next board, it is unclear to me whether I should change anything in my application before resubmitting for the November board. On one hand, I don't want to resubmit the same thing that just got rejected, but on the other hand, there isn't much I could change besides my writing sample and/or motivational statement. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone,

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:52 pm

Rocky123 wrote:I also received my rejection e-mail from USAF this morning. Not a pleasant way to start the day! While I knew this was a real possibility, I'm still pretty disappointed. But at least there's another board in November!

Since they said they weren't giving individual feedback before the next board, it is unclear to me whether I should change anything in my application before resubmitting for the November board. On one hand, I don't want to resubmit the same thing that just got rejected, but on the other hand, there isn't much I could change besides my writing sample and/or motivational statement. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
AF SJA who conducts interviews here.

It's worth reaching out to the SJA you interviewed with to see if they're willing to give you feedback or suggestions.

In 2 months, it's tough to change much. But if there is anything you think you can improve, do it. If you don't have 5 LORs, get 5. If your LORs could be stronger, find someone else to write one.

Understand that we're looking for someone who can be a lawyer and also an officer. Quick notes on each below.

Lawyer: We want to know you can take a legal issue, research it, analyze it, and effectively communicate an opinion. Experiences from internships/jobs are great for this, but other things can show this too. If it's in an area we practice in, then great! If not, no big deal; it still shows you can do quality legal work. We also need to know you won't fall apart in court. Highlight everything you think might show these skills, and think outside the box. Maybe you were in Toastmasters for years and have a ton of public speaking experience. Maybe you interned with a judge and developed a lot of opinions about good and bad trial advocacy.

Officer: You're expected to be someone people can look up to. Don't call that into question for starters. A big part of being an officer is being given a job/task/program you know nothing about that's broken and being told to fix it, not having enough resources to do so, and having to lead others to do it. What in your background shows you can lead other people through that process? All kinds of things can show this, even going back to high school. I have worked with paralegals whom I care a great deal about. Why should I put their lives and careers in your hands? We also expect you to advise commanders very early on. Make me feel comfortable I could send you to do that without worrying about you pissing someone off or giving advice in such a way that it's ignored.

Keep in mind that your resume doesn't have to be 1 page. 2-3 pages can cover a lot of experiences that might get your interviewer's attention, even if you don't think they're that big a deal.

This doesn't help as much, but understand that it's extremely competitive. I interview more candidates who would be good JAGs than I can give the top recommendations to. The selection board sees dozens or hundreds of these candidates. Assume your evil twin is going to a similar law school and has all of your experience and abilities. How are you going to set yourself apart from them?

If there are any criminal, drug, mental health, credit, weight, etc. issues, what have you done to show that's not you anymore? If your interviewer likes you, they will try to explain these things away. Help them. If you got caught for underage drinking in college, maybe volunteer for some kind of designated driver program. Stuff like that. One thing specifically - do not be over your weight limit. That is likely an automatic no.

The more you can find out about what the job entails, the better. An easy example is the initial training we go through. Some students don't know that your first training is COT and JASOC. The applicant who asks specific questions about the training shows me they have put more thought into this. Maybe they ask a question based on a COT blog they read online. Or know what your PT test requirements are versus "I think running is involved." These are little things, but they separate the ones really ready apart from the 3L applying for the first time in April who has "always" wanted to do this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

annon1234

New

Post by annon1234 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone requested feedback from their FSO/interviewees and received anything useful for reapplication to the next round? Curious if they are able to tell you why you why they didn't rank you higher or what you could possibly change for the next selection board.

I also got rejected from Air Force and have my Army FSO interview coming up...wondering if they are able to give me any useful feedback to use in my next interview.
You can send me a PM with your questions.

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Rocky123 wrote:I also received my rejection e-mail from USAF this morning. Not a pleasant way to start the day! While I knew this was a real possibility, I'm still pretty disappointed. But at least there's another board in November!

AF SJA who conducts interviews here.

It's worth reaching out to the SJA you interviewed with to see if they're willing to give you feedback or suggestions.

In 2 months, it's tough to change much. But if there is anything you think you can improve, do it. If you don't have 5 LORs, get 5. If your LORs could be stronger, find someone else to write one.

Understand that we're looking for someone who can be a lawyer and also an officer. Quick notes on each below.

Lawyer: We want to know you can take a legal issue, research it, analyze it, and effectively communicate an opinion. Experiences from internships/jobs are great for this, but other things can show this too. If it's in an area we practice in, then great! If not, no big deal; it still shows you can do quality legal work. We also need to know you won't fall apart in court. Highlight everything you think might show these skills, and think outside the box. Maybe you were in Toastmasters for years and have a ton of public speaking experience. Maybe you interned with a judge and developed a lot of opinions about good and bad trial advocacy.

Officer: You're expected to be someone people can look up to. Don't call that into question for starters. A big part of being an officer is being given a job/task/program you know nothing about that's broken and being told to fix it, not having enough resources to do so, and having to lead others to do it. What in your background shows you can lead other people through that process? All kinds of things can show this, even going back to high school. I have worked with paralegals whom I care a great deal about. Why should I put their lives and careers in your hands? We also expect you to advise commanders very early on. Make me feel comfortable I could send you to do that without worrying about you pissing someone off or giving advice in such a way that it's ignored.

Keep in mind that your resume doesn't have to be 1 page. 2-3 pages can cover a lot of experiences that might get your interviewer's attention, even if you don't think they're that big a deal.

This doesn't help as much, but understand that it's extremely competitive. I interview more candidates who would be good JAGs than I can give the top recommendations to. The selection board sees dozens or hundreds of these candidates. Assume your evil twin is going to a similar law school and has all of your experience and abilities. How are you going to set yourself apart from them?

If there are any criminal, drug, mental health, credit, weight, etc. issues, what have you done to show that's not you anymore? If your interviewer likes you, they will try to explain these things away. Help them. If you got caught for underage drinking in college, maybe volunteer for some kind of designated driver program. Stuff like that. One thing specifically - do not be over your weight limit. That is likely an automatic no.

The more you can find out about what the job entails, the better. An easy example is the initial training we go through. Some students don't know that your first training is COT and JASOC. The applicant who asks specific questions about the training shows me they have put more thought into this. Maybe they ask a question based on a COT blog they read online. Or know what your PT test requirements are versus "I think running is involved." These are little things, but they separate the ones really ready apart from the 3L applying for the first time in April who has "always" wanted to do this.
That is probably the best advice you will ever get on the interview process. But if you still have questions you can always email some of the Capts that you spoke with while at the office or if there was a specific person who scheduled the interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any October 2018 Army class people still awaiting orders? Have any gotten your orders or IRR already?
Checking in

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:10 pm

For any AF selectees scheduled for the January class: do you know your base yet? If so, which is it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For any AF selectees scheduled for the January class: do you know your base yet? If so, which is it?
You won’t find out your base until you fully complete MEPs and get all of your other documentation in. I did not find out my base until a month prior to COT

Labrador911

New

Post by Labrador911 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Backload wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For any AF selectees scheduled for the January class: do you know your base yet? If so, which is it?
You won’t find out your base until you fully complete MEPs and get all of your other documentation in. I did not find out my base until a month prior to COT
Thanks for the response. Were you able to get your CAC and/or uniform ahead of time?

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Labrador911 wrote:
Backload wrote:
Thanks for the response. Were you able to get your CAC and/or uniform ahead of time?
You can purchase uniforms ahead of COT, and I would advise doing so. I think you have to wait until you have your orders to get those though. Once you have orders you go to a local base, show them orders and your state ID then go get the uniforms. People can correct me if I am wrong but I do not think you can get a CAC. I didn’t get mine till the last week of COT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi- I submitted all of my required documents by end of June and have not heard back on anything, my understanding is I am waiting on HRC to medically qualify me but I have not heard on what class I am assigned. When did you find out your class? I originally assumed I would be October class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”