Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:As I've noted before, I think there will be a real sticky wicket in respect to future applicants where all relevant marijuana use may have been in a state that has legalized it in some degree. Time will tell I guess.
OP here. Thanks for your post. I've been using for years, but have only used in two states that had legalized recreational use before i moved to those states.

My best bet may be to wait until fed legalization as another poster suggested. It'll probably be sooner rather than later and I wasn't aware that JAG would still be on the table later in my legal career, assuming I will still be within the age restriction.

MrZ1111

New

Post by MrZ1111 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering JAG but am thinking my prior mj use may make me an auto deny. I am a regular smoker and have been throughout law school, but am willing to stop smoking and have my last dance with mary jane if I still have a chance. thoughts?
These drug use posts are becoming more frequent.

As has been noted previously, selections in this context are generally limited to applicants who:

1. experimented (read: isolated and non-habitual/frequent use) with
2. non-hardcore drugs (read: marijuana and maybe some Rx types) and
3. during a time period where they can justify the use (read: tried it in high school when they lacked the maturity and judgment to know better).

If one cannot thread the needle of all three elements, the odds of a waiver/selection are highly unlikely. Hopefully all future posters on this issue can now resolve this question for themselves. For the OP, I do not see any path to selection, even if you quit entirely and abstain several years before applying.

As I've noted before, I think there will be a real sticky wicket in respect to future applicants where all relevant marijuana use may have been in a state that has legalized it in some degree. Time will tell I guess.

LOL All knowing Patrick Bateman is personally offended by anyone that uses drugs.

user has been outed for anon abuse

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering JAG but am thinking my prior mj use may make me an auto deny. I am a regular smoker and have been throughout law school, but am willing to stop smoking and have my last dance with mary jane if I still have a chance. thoughts?
These drug use posts are becoming more frequent.

As has been noted previously, selections in this context are generally limited to applicants who:

1. experimented (read: isolated and non-habitual/frequent use) with
2. non-hardcore drugs (read: marijuana and maybe some Rx types) and
3. during a time period where they can justify the use (read: tried it in high school when they lacked the maturity and judgment to know better).

If one cannot thread the needle of all three elements, the odds of a waiver/selection are highly unlikely. Hopefully all future posters on this issue can now resolve this question for themselves. For the OP, I do not see any path to selection, even if you quit entirely and abstain several years before applying.

As I've noted before, I think there will be a real sticky wicket in respect to future applicants where all relevant marijuana use may have been in a state that has legalized it in some degree. Time will tell I guess.

LOL All knowing Patrick Bateman is personally offended by anyone that uses drugs.
Not sure what about that post led you in any way to that conclusion.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jam313

New

Post by jam313 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Do the "Apply online" links at the bottom of the page work for anyone here:
https://www.goarmy.com/jag/applications ... dures.html

Tried Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and nothing has worked for the past few days now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:52 pm

jam313 wrote:Do the "Apply online" links at the bottom of the page work for anyone here:
https://www.goarmy.com/jag/applications ... dures.html

Tried Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and nothing has worked for the past few days now.
Nope, not working. Outages happen periodically. If you're the poster that just sent back their letter of intent, don't sweat. There's nothing you have to do in the immediate future. JARO will send out emails requesting some forms starting in March/April.

jam313

New

Post by jam313 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:35 pm

aka123 wrote:
Nope, not working. Outages happen periodically. If you're the poster that just sent back their letter of intent, don't sweat. There's nothing you have to do in the immediate future. JARO will send out emails requesting some forms starting in March/April.
Nah, I was just trying to see what the app deadline was but soon realized it was a couple months ago. Missed out on that. :(

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 pm

jam313 wrote:
aka123 wrote:
Nah, I was just trying to see what the app deadline was but soon realized it was a couple months ago. Missed out on that. :(
Ah, gotcha. Well if you start now, you'll have lots of time to prep for the November 2018 board. :) Army only has one board a year. Air Force has 2, sometimes 3 boards a year. Not sure about Navy but they have multiple boards as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:12 pm

Have my JAG interview scheduled with the Navy coming up. I was hoping for an opportunity to enter JAG Air Force, but this is better than nothing I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have my JAG interview scheduled with the Navy coming up. I was hoping for an opportunity to enter JAG Air Force, but this is better than nothing I guess.
Good luck with Navy.

But if you submit an application, you get an interview for all services. The ball is in your court.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Backload wrote:But if you submit an application, you get an interview for all services. The ball is in your court.
What on earth you are talking about?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Backload wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have my JAG interview scheduled with the Navy coming up. I was hoping for an opportunity to enter JAG Air Force, but this is better than nothing I guess.
Good luck with Navy.

But if you submit an application, you get an interview for all services. The ball is in your court.
Thank you, I'm a bit nervous being I'm not exactly sure where I fit in their program after graduating law school with pending bar admission but prior big fed. gov. work experience and security clearance (prob. why I get the interview). Do you mean it's possible to transfer from the Navy to the Air Force within the JAG program or are you saying that this is an interview with broad options to enter the program or something along those lines? thank you for clarifying.

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Backload wrote:
Good luck with Navy.

Thank you, I'm a bit nervous being I'm not exactly sure where I fit in their program after graduating law school with pending bar admission but prior big fed. gov. work experience and security clearance (prob. why I get the interview). Do you mean it's possible to transfer from the Navy to the Air Force within the JAG program or are you saying that this is an interview with broad options to enter the program or something along those lines? thank you for clarifying.
I'm saying if you want the Air Force over the navy there is nothing stopping you right now. All you have to do is to submit an application with the Air Force and you will get an interview. You will be in the same position as you are currently with the navy. So you still have the opportunity for both. Don't give up on what you want without trying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Houzy

New

Post by Houzy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am

Any other prospective GLP/OYCP candidates around that are sitting for the Feb. board?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Houzy wrote:Any other prospective GLP/OYCP candidates around that are sitting for the Feb. board?
Yup. 2L waiting for the OYCP results. Not holding my breath though, extremely low selection rates. Also put in applications with the Army for their internship (non select), the AF internship and externship (waiting on results) and have an interview next week with the Navy for their student program.

Bcmurphy42

New

Post by Bcmurphy42 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 am

Hey all. Is anyone else here going to the March 2018 COT?

I was accepted into active duty AF JAG and told that March 25 COT is the day. Any one been to COT recently that can share the low down? Can I bring my phone, laptop, etc. Are we allowed to leave? Do I get reimbursed for traveling expenses such as mileage? Uniform purchase costs, etc.

Thanks in advance and feel free to PM me as well.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Backload wrote:
Good luck with Navy.

You got an interview because you submitted an application. It has nothing to do with your previous work experience. Everyone gets an interview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Esquire wrote:
shock259 wrote:Yeah, you'll go wherever you they put you. DC tours don't happen (at least in the Navy) until further into your career.
My buddy who is a Navy JAG is in DC. He just started recently. Also, for the Army, DC tours can happen early in your career.
Of course junior Navy JAGs can be assigned to DC - I'm pretty sure we are all well versed with the prince of the Washington Navy Yard, Daniel Kaffee, LTJG, JAGC, USN. He successfully plea bargained 44 cases in 9 months. :D
He was so close to that set of steak knives at 45... (5 years late on this joke?, naaaaah..)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:31 pm

First interview with Marine Corps JAG for a summer position is coming up. Any tips? As someone who has never served their country before, what should I expect?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Dawg57 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Esquire wrote:
shock259 wrote:Yeah, you'll go wherever you they put you. DC tours don't happen (at least in the Navy) until further into your career.
My buddy who is a Navy JAG is in DC. He just started recently. Also, for the Army, DC tours can happen early in your career.
Of course junior Navy JAGs can be assigned to DC - I'm pretty sure we are all well versed with the prince of the Washington Navy Yard, Daniel Kaffee, LTJG, JAGC, USN. He successfully plea bargained 44 cases in 9 months. :D
He was so close to that set of steak knives at 45... (5 years late on this joke?, naaaaah..)
There is no statute of limitations on A Few Good Men jokes in this thread!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi all--I was in a bad situation at work during the past year and went to talk to a psychiatrist. He put me on anxiety pills (which seemed to be his go-to solution for anything--he didn't do any counseling in the couple of times I went to see him). I took them for a few weeks before I decided that that definitely wasn't what I needed and never renewed the prescription. I know that the rule is generally two years without meds, but is that something that can be waived/anyone have experience with whether the type of use I described has been waived for others?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:11 pm

Anybody who's been to JASOC at Maxwell AFB know what time the day usually ends? Is there usually time during the night to go to the fitness & wellness center -- or is time mostly spent doing reading/preparation for the next day's class?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Bcmurphy42 wrote:Hey all. Is anyone else here going to the March 2018 COT?

I was accepted into active duty AF JAG and told that March 25 COT is the day. Any one been to COT recently that can share the low down? Can I bring my phone, laptop, etc. Are we allowed to leave? Do I get reimbursed for traveling expenses such as mileage? Uniform purchase costs, etc.

Thanks in advance and feel free to PM me as well.
Hopefully some more recent grads have PM-ed you. My experience is likely too stale to be of any real use re: day to day down there. Back in my day, you were able to bring a laptop and cell. You may not have access to it all the time.

You will be reimbursed on your travel days for mileage (check the JFTR for the rate) and lodging expenses at the Fed per diem rate. You will also get some travel pay for incidentals, as well your normal pay as you are now on active duty bro. Do not expect your paycheck for several weeks as it takes a while to all get processed.

You get some small one time stipend of like $250 later for your uniform costs, which will cost you well over $1,000. It's almost all out of pocket.

This forum is largely dead now but there is a ton of historical COT info (and other good stuff throughout):

https://airforceots.com/viewforum.php?f ... c903080e46

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all--I was in a bad situation at work during the past year and went to talk to a psychiatrist. He put me on anxiety pills (which seemed to be his go-to solution for anything--he didn't do any counseling in the couple of times I went to see him). I took them for a few weeks before I decided that that definitely wasn't what I needed and never renewed the prescription. I know that the rule is generally two years without meds, but is that something that can be waived/anyone have experience with whether the type of use I described has been waived for others?
I know some AF folks that were in a roughly similar situation with ADD meds that got waivers and did just fine. Just make sure you fully explain how you did not find the medication helped, you ceased taking it, and you have not needed it for anything since. You may also add that the doc gave them without really assessing their true necessity for your issue.

Absolutely apply and work the waiver process (but be patient as it it is not always a fast moving train).

Good luck!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody who's been to JASOC at Maxwell AFB know what time the day usually ends? Is there usually time during the night to go to the fitness & wellness center -- or is time mostly spent doing reading/preparation for the next day's class?
It's a normal duty day - usually ends around 1630-1700. You will have plenty of time to hit the gym (which is just across from billeting and the school house) before or after class, and lunch if you are quick about it.

Some days you will have more prep and studying (like before the mock courts) but usually the homework part is pretty minimal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”