Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Military Law

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm

thxrho wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote: Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?
Feasible, yes. But from what I read on this board, those 1L spots are hard to get.
Navy internships are relatively easy to get as a 1L because they're unpaid. Army doesn't do 1L internships as usn mentioned. I think the Air Force ones are paid, so they might be more competitive.

1L JAG internship - 2L BigLaw SA is really the best bet if you're trying not to foreclose anything. If you don't get a JAG internship as a 1L though, you might have to make a tough choice for your 2L summer. JAG internships really increase your odds of selection at the board. At least for the Navy, when you do an internship, they do a "secret" evaluation on you that you never see, but it does go into your packet if you apply for a JAG commission. My understanding is that this evaluation receives a lot of weight at the board, the reason being that people are more honest about you when they know you won't see the evaluation. Contrast this with LORs, which everyone gets and are virtually always glowing.

lumberjack12

New

Post by lumberjack12 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi all, what is the best AF base for obtaining lots of trial experience? Or are there any bases I should try to avoid?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
thxrho wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote: Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?
Feasible, yes. But from what I read on this board, those 1L spots are hard to get.
Navy internships are relatively easy to get as a 1L because they're unpaid. Army doesn't do 1L internships as usn mentioned. I think the Air Force ones are paid, so they might be more competitive.

1L JAG internship - 2L BigLaw SA is really the best bet if you're trying not to foreclose anything. If you don't get a JAG internship as a 1L though, you might have to make a tough choice for your 2L summer. JAG internships really increase your odds of selection at the board. At least for the Navy, when you do an internship, they do a "secret" evaluation on you that you never see, but it does go into your packet if you apply for a JAG commission. My understanding is that this evaluation receives a lot of weight at the board, the reason being that people are more honest about you when they know you won't see the evaluation. Contrast this with LORs, which everyone gets and are virtually always glowing.
Awesome, thanks for the replies! Might as well shoot an app out when the time comes.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 pm

lumberjack12 wrote:Hi all, what is the best AF base for obtaining lots of trial experience? Or are there any bases I should try to avoid?
Once again, read the thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=4700

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Does anybody who is Army Reserve JAG know when we commission or report to our units? I haven't heard anything, and the people at JARO are pretty busy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody who is Army Reserve JAG know when we commission or report to our units? I haven't heard anything, and the people at JARO are pretty busy.
I'm in the same position. Haven't heard anything for quite some time and JARO hasn't gotten back to any of my calls/emails. My FSO told me not to worry and that if we received confirmation on all our items, we should be good to go. He said JARO is currently followign up with anyone missing anything and that we should be hearing something new in the next few weeks about commissioning and unit selection.

Jam3jr

New

Post by Jam3jr » Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Does anyone know of married JAG couples? My boyfriend and I are both thinking of applying when we enter law school (current undergrad seniors) but are concerned that we may not be stationed in the same location. I know that each branch typically tries to station married couples in the same area, but that it isn't guaranteed. I assume that, because JAG positions are more limited, it would be more difficult to place a married couple in the same location. Does anyone have experience with this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 12:18 pm

I've met several JAG couples in the Army. Not all that uncommon actually. One disadvantage is your duty station will probably be limited to bigger base, and there's less chance of having a unique assignment unless you don't mind being separated for that tour. Then again, most JAG slots, especially junior attorneys, are at bigger bases anyways. Also, being at the same location doesn't mean you'll be in the same unit. That could lead to different training or deployment schedules. Of course, that's possible even if you're assigned to the same unit.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat May 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've met several JAG couples in the Army. Not all that uncommon actually. One disadvantage is your duty station will probably be limited to bigger base, and there's less chance of having a unique assignment unless you don't mind being separated for that tour. Then again, most JAG slots, especially junior attorneys, are at bigger bases anyways. Also, being at the same location doesn't mean you'll be in the same unit. That could lead to different training or deployment schedules. Of course, that's possible even if you're assigned to the same unit.
This applies to the Air Force as well. I've known a number of couples over the years but it has not always been the easiest road for them - the needs of the Air Force/Army/Navy/USMC are always going to come first, and that has meant being geographically separated by assignment or deployment for periods of time. All in all, I have seen the AF do their best to accommodate but I would make sure you two go into it with very realistic expectations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

juicetrain76

New

Post by juicetrain76 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior in undergrad aiming for Navy JAG or Coast Guard JAG. Can anyone with experience with either of these programs speak to how my volunteer experience can help me land an internship at some point? I'm currently in the process of applying to volunteer with the VA facility near my school, plus I'm a military brat so I'm hoping those + other extracurriculars will help me land an internship.

Thanks!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 pm

juicetrain76 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior in undergrad aiming for Navy JAG or Coast Guard JAG. Can anyone with experience with either of these programs speak to how my volunteer experience can help me land an internship at some point? I'm currently in the process of applying to volunteer with the VA facility near my school, plus I'm a military brat so I'm hoping those + other extracurriculars will help me land an internship.

Thanks!
Internships really aren't that hard to get, particularly if you're geographically flexible. Just have a good answer to the "why JAG?" question. Anything you can do to demonstrate that you understand the military is good, so volunteering with the VA is fine. But really, you're putting the cart way before the horse here. Focus on getting good grades + crushing the LSAT, and then go to the best school you can at the best price to maximize your opportunities, both JAG and non-JAG.

You might also consider doing time in the military between undergrad and law school. Being prior service is a big boost. You could apply to OCS when you finish your undergrad degree and apply for the FLEP program once you're in the Navy, or get out and use the GI Bill for law school.
Jam3jr wrote:Does anyone know of married JAG couples? My boyfriend and I are both thinking of applying when we enter law school (current undergrad seniors) but are concerned that we may not be stationed in the same location. I know that each branch typically tries to station married couples in the same area, but that it isn't guaranteed. I assume that, because JAG positions are more limited, it would be more difficult to place a married couple in the same location. Does anyone have experience with this?

The Navy is really aggressive about colocation, so from what I've seen most dual-Navy couples end up at the same duty station. That said, that's no guarantee you'll be on the same deployment schedule. It gets really dicey when you have couples that are dual service; an Army officer married to a Navy officer, etc. That really limits the number of places that you can both be stationed and jacks up the probability that you'll be long distance.

juicetrain76

New

Post by juicetrain76 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:29 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
juicetrain76 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks!
Internships really aren't that hard to get, particularly if you're geographically flexible. Just have a good answer to the "why JAG?" question. Anything you can do to demonstrate that you understand the military is good, so volunteering with the VA is fine. But really, you're putting the cart way before the horse here. Focus on getting good grades + crushing the LSAT, and then go to the best school you can at the best price to maximize your opportunities, both JAG and non-JAG.

You might also consider doing time in the military between undergrad and law school. Being prior service is a big boost. You could apply to OCS when you finish your undergrad degree and apply for the FLEP program once you're in the Navy, or get out and use the GI Bill for law school.
Thanks for the response! I've considered doing military time in between, but haven't finished deliberating on it yet.

Anonymous User

JAG program via Marines

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 pm

I've been speaking with several recruiters about entering JAG and they told me 150 or above (not sure if this was UBE realted or something) was needed for entry. Additionally, I have ADHD and prescribed adderall medication and although it was ok for a SF86 WH clearance one summer, they said I'd need to be off that for 6 months prior to deployment into JAG. Anyone with more insight, please let me know. Thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: JAG program via Marines

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 31, 2017 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been speaking with several recruiters about entering JAG and they told me 150 or above (not sure if this was UBE realted or something) was needed for entry. Additionally, I have ADHD and prescribed adderall medication and although it was ok for a SF86 WH clearance one summer, they said I'd need to be off that for 6 months prior to deployment into JAG. Anyone with more insight, please let me know. Thank you!
I moved your post into the thread that addresses a lot of these issues - you should read through here where you may find some answers, as well as helpful posters.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed May 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been speaking with several recruiters about entering JAG and they told me 150 or above (not sure if this was UBE realted or something) was needed for entry. Additionally, I have ADHD and prescribed adderall medication and although it was ok for a SF86 WH clearance one summer, they said I'd need to be off that for 6 months prior to deployment into JAG. Anyone with more insight, please let me know. Thank you!
I have no idea what you're talking about. No one cares what your bar exam score is as long as you pass. Maybe some recruiters have a minimum 150 on the LSAT policy or something, but there is no score that automatically gets you into JAG. You still need to apply. Are you in law school now?

Also, that's not what deployment means.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:57 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. No one cares what your bar exam score is as long as you pass. Maybe some recruiters have a minimum 150 on the LSAT policy or something, but there is no score that automatically gets you into JAG. You still need to apply. Are you in law school now?
Last I heard the Marines did require a minimum 150 LSAT to get a law contract.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 pm

First: Army Reserve email went out discussing JAG school slots in October. Commissioning packets coming June maybe July.
Second: When I looked at Marine Corps JAG in 2013, the Marine Corps did require a minimum 150 LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:23 am

Just to be clear, becoming an officer in the military and deploying while being a member of the military are two different things. There are certainly medical issues that can prevent you from joining the military and/or that might need a waiver to allow you to join. Separately, there are conditions that might not let you deploy to some (or all) locations once you have actually joined the military.

The Adderall thing was actually an issue in a court-martial for one of my clients in the past year. A few years back, there was a prohibition on bringing Adderall on deployments. That has changed, however, and, at the very least, it's simple to get a waiver to bring it with you. I had a friend in the JAG Corps who had ADHD, so I believe it's possible to join with ADHD and while on Adderall, but I certainly can't guarantee that. But the recruiters you're talking to might be going off of slightly dated information. Or maybe they know something I don't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:00 am

Regarding the AF JAG application process:

I just finished 1L and I'm really interested in the AF JAG, so I've looked into applying for the OYCP in the fall. However, the OYCP requires 6 weeks in 2L summer, and ideally I'd like to be able to work at a firm and make some cash. Can I just apply to the AF JAG in the fall of my 3L year?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the AF JAG application process:

I just finished 1L and I'm really interested in the AF JAG, so I've looked into applying for the OYCP in the fall. However, the OYCP requires 6 weeks in 2L summer, and ideally I'd like to be able to work at a firm and make some cash. Can I just apply to the AF JAG in the fall of my 3L year?
I'll let someone with more Air Force knowledge answer this one, but yes, you can. That said, if I were really interested in AF JAG, I wouldn't want to waste a chance to get it locked in early. I guess it just depends on how badly you want Air Force vs. how badly you want SA money.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:45 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the AF JAG application process:

I'll let someone with more Air Force knowledge answer this one, but yes, you can. That said, if I were really interested in AF JAG, I wouldn't want to waste a chance to get it locked in early. I guess it just depends on how badly you want Air Force vs. how badly you want SA money.
SpanishMain is spot on.

You can indeed apply for the Direct Appointment Program as a 3L. How competitive you will be with BigLaw on your resume as a SA versus something govt/public service orientated is a different question that will depend on the rest of your background.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyarnold

New

Post by heyarnold » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 pm

"Regarding the AF JAG application process:

I just finished 1L and I'm really interested in the AF JAG, so I've looked into applying for the OYCP in the fall. However, the OYCP requires 6 weeks in 2L summer, and ideally I'd like to be able to work at a firm and make some cash. Can I just apply to the AF JAG in the fall of my 3L year?"

^^^ It's really just a one-month long commitment for 2L summer via OYCP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:17 am

heyarnold wrote:
^^^ It's really just a one-month long commitment for 2L summer via OYCP
That still kills working a big law gig...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Depending on the firm, no it doesn't. I did a similar thing last summer.

Anonymous User

JAG Marine Lawyer, set to deploy pending physical

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:56 am

Been in contact with a Lt. from Marines to recruit me via JAG. All documents are forwarded over and he said only thing now is I need to just pass the physical exam and I'm in. Is this program still beneficial? I do have political aspirations so it's likely I'd be joining in November if I fail the bar again (3rd attempt). I didn't like billing hours in insurance defense and litigation much, so unless I'm in sports or compliance or politics somehow, I don't know what else I'd do but getting older and just failing this exam has ran it's course. This is my last try here. Appreciate any input

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”