Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Hoping to get some info from those of you familiar with the JAG selection process.

I had several traffic violations from 2006 to 2013. I was able to enlist in the Navy, but required a waiver to do so.

Today I got my first speeding ticket since then, and I jumped here to ask this question. Obviously it's a behavioral pattern, and now I can't claim all of the violations to be in my semi-distant past.

Between finishing my contract and 1l, I'm a good 5 years from being able to apply to any of the programs. Is this pattern of behavior too much for an otherwise solid package to overcome? Did I screw myself today?

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hoping to get some info from those of you familiar with the JAG selection process.

I had several traffic violations from 2006 to 2013. I was able to enlist in the Navy, but required a waiver to do so.

Today I got my first speeding ticket since then, and I jumped here to ask this question. Obviously it's a behavioral pattern, and now I can't claim all of the violations to be in my semi-distant past.

Between finishing my contract and 1l, I'm a good 5 years from being able to apply to any of the programs. Is this pattern of behavior too much for an otherwise solid package to overcome? Did I screw myself today?

Thank you in advance.
Who knows? Presumably, your packet goes before a Board, and those Board Members are going to make a judgment call that you can't really predict. Hopefully your previous violations are no more serious than a speeding ticket.

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 pm

What is the monthly salary/summer stipend I will receive as an army jag corps summer intern for 2018? Will the Army pay for travel expenses if I need to fly to another state? How many people are selected every year for the 2L summer army jag internship? What are the chances to be sent to Hawaii? What are the chances to be sent to CA?

Standish

New

Post by Standish » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:03 am

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:What is the monthly salary/summer stipend I will receive as an army jag corps summer intern for 2018? Will the Army pay for travel expenses if I need to fly to another state? How many people are selected every year for the 2L summer army jag internship? What are the chances to be sent to Hawaii? What are the chances to be sent to CA?
In past years, interns have been paid at the GS-07 pay grade. Pay may be adjusted depending on the cost of living at the internship location. I made $5,500 for the summer, after taxes, in a generally low cost of living area. You're on the hook for your own travel expenses. If you want to search jagcnet.army.mil, the selectees list is posted publicly, so you can see how many are selected. There were about 70 people in 2016 who were selected and participated in the internship. Your chance is low of being sent to Hawaii, since so many people want to go there (probably about 4/70 interns will go there). Chances are likewise small for California. There are usually only interns at the Presidio of Monterey, and it's a small post that probably doesn't take many interns. Fort Irwin was an option during my year, but it's not listed as a current internship location. If it's available and you ask to go there, you'll probably be assigned there since very few people want to spend their summer in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 am

Wondering if there are any JAGs on the forum who have served around 10 years...looking back do you have any regrets? Opportunities you wished you'd taken? Assignments you wish you'd put in for? Happy with your career path in general? I've heard some discouraging perspectives from a few judge advocates who are fairly young in their career, and wanted to query some of you who have more experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 pm

For those who have completed the Navy JAG summer internship, have you all gotten LOR's from the captain at your base? I am able to get a letter from him for other jobs, but not for applying to an accessions board with the Navy. Is there any reason to be worried about this? I have a letter form an 0-5 from that same base that is glowing. What do you think?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:14 am

Any tips for applying for the medical waiver process and how to maximize your chances of getting approved?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wondering if there are any JAGs on the forum who have served around 10 years...looking back do you have any regrets? Opportunities you wished you'd taken? Assignments you wish you'd put in for? Happy with your career path in general? I've heard some discouraging perspectives from a few judge advocates who are fairly young in their career, and wanted to query some of you who have more experience.
I did my six on AD and am still happily serving in the AF Reserves. Some pretty broad questions here that are not easily answered. Zero regrets in terms of my decision to serve as a JAG. Things along the way that I'm still salty about? Sure. Could things be better run in some ways? Of course. That said, I would not trade my experiences and the folks I have had the opportunity serve with for any other sort of civilian career.

If you can dial in your questions a bit, you might be able to get some more focused answers from the more seasoned folks that are on the board.

ADArmyJAGC18

New

Post by ADArmyJAGC18 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 am

hkh2220: it was my understanding that you could not secure a spot in the class until you are sworn in and can produce a certificate of good standing. So the below quote confuses me:

"Sept 12, 2017: JARO emails me telling me HRC has medically approved me and I should expect a spot in the January 2018 class."

Did your SFO tell you this casually, or was this an official JARO response? If so, did it come from CPT Suh or someone else at the recruiting office? Thanks for your two cents and for all the other posters on this forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 pm

ADArmyJAGC18 wrote:hkh2220: it was my understanding that you could not secure a spot in the class until you are sworn in and can produce a certificate of good standing. So the below quote confuses me:

"Sept 12, 2017: JARO emails me telling me HRC has medically approved me and I should expect a spot in the January 2018 class."

Did your SFO tell you this casually, or was this an official JARO response? If so, did it come from CPT Suh or someone else at the recruiting office? Thanks for your two cents and for all the other posters on this forum.
I believe this means that, assuming you receive your Certificate of Good Standing approximately two months before the January 2018 class, you are good to go. It seems the medical portion is a giant hurdle for many applicants, so getting medically approved is a big step towards securing a spot.

ADArmyJAGC18

New

Post by ADArmyJAGC18 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:45 pm

The context of my question:

I have been cleared medically, have all my paperwork in, and passed the bar. At this point, just waiting for the certificate of good standing. However, my understanding is that I cannot provide that until I am sworn in on Nov. 17th. That will be a little less than 2 months before the January basic class starts. Will I be able to secure a spot in the January class?

Any similar prior experiences or anyone with insight and advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

ADArmyJAGC18 wrote:The context of my question:

I have been cleared medically, have all my paperwork in, and passed the bar. At this point, just waiting for the certificate of good standing. However, my understanding is that I cannot provide that until I am sworn in on Nov. 17th. That will be a little less than 2 months before the January basic class starts. Will I be able to secure a spot in the January class?

Any similar prior experiences or anyone with insight and advice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
IIRC, they had said that you have to be licensed by November 1. I passed the bar and my jurisdiction has a licensing ceremony in mid-to-late October, but I could be sworn in at the beginning of October if I make arrangements with a judge. I emailed CPT Tisdale to see if I would be more likely to make the January class if they received my cert. of good standing at the beginning of October. He said that it didn't matter "as long as you are sworn in before you report."

In past years, I heard that they waited until after receiving bar results to even start the medical process (I assume it must have gone a lot faster in years past), so the Nov 1 licensing deadline might be a vestige of that timeline. It might just not be a hard deadline if you've already done medical. Who knows.

I would email JARO if I were you to ask if Nov 17 will work.

fuzz

New

Post by fuzz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:For those who have completed the Navy JAG summer internship, have you all gotten LOR's from the captain at your base? I am able to get a letter from him for other jobs, but not for applying to an accessions board with the Navy. Is there any reason to be worried about this? I have a letter form an 0-5 from that same base that is glowing. What do you think?
Substance is more important than rank. I had a LT I worked closely with write my rec. As long as you have recommenders to fill the other the slots, I'm sure it doesn't matter. Your CPT has to submit an evaluation of you irrespective of any rec anyways.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:13 pm

ADArmyJAGC18 wrote:hkh2220: it was my understanding that you could not secure a spot in the class until you are sworn in and can produce a certificate of good standing. So the below quote confuses me:

Call your state's bar association/attorney enrollment office and explain the situation. I was sworn in before a notary at the library after passing the bar so I wouldn't have to wait for the "official" swearing in ceremony. I got an email from the recruiting office saying I had passed the medical stage and all that was needed was my letter of good standing to complete my Accessions packet and I'd be "on glide" to attend in January.

ADArmyJAGC18

New

Post by ADArmyJAGC18 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Thank you, very helpful!

heyarnold

New

Post by heyarnold » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 am

Does Anybody in AF JAG have experience with taking the New York Bar Exam ? If so, what was your timeline given the slow turnaround for Bar results in New York state? Did you still attend JSOC and make it to the earliest possible class (Jan/Feb) -- or did you have to enter into your first station later than most of your peers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm

When I did my interview with the FSO for the Army internship a few weeks back I was told that they had a lower number of interviews than in previous years. Has anyone else heard the same or similar, or is this just this particular FSO?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:01 pm

AD Army Select here, should be attending the upcoming January class, just waiting to get my Certificate of Good Standing. Question for those who have been through the process. Once we get the green light that we've secured a seat, what do we do between now and class? Do we go to MEPS and swear in? Go to transportation, finance, etc...? Help appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

frankbeans wrote:AD Army Select here, should be attending the upcoming January class, just waiting to get my Certificate of Good Standing. Question for those who have been through the process. Once we get the green light that we've secured a seat, what do we do between now and class? Do we go to MEPS and swear in? Go to transportation, finance, etc...? Help appreciated.
If you were approved by DoDMERB then there is no MEPS. You will get some information between securing a seat and reporting, but not much. There will be a few minor administrative tasks, but the most important thing will be to work on physical fitness so you can pass the APFT prior to reporting. The rest you will learn during training.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Army JAG select here. I finished school in May and took the NY bar. I probably won't get my results until late this month/ Nov. and then it's going to take a while to get admitted, so January 2018 is a no go for me, and I guess now my next choice is August.

The issue with August is that my wife would have to start a new school year (she's a teacher) and then potentially try to move/ find a new job wherever I am stationed, which would be an issue. I wonder how hard it would be to convince the Army to let me join the Jan 2019 class rather than August 2018. I e-mailed a JAG that has been e-mailing me about the application, with this question, but haven't heard back from him yet. I was hoping someone here has some insight.

Thanks!

ML0576

New

Post by ML0576 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Army JAG select here. I finished school in May and took the NY bar. I probably won't get my results until late this month/ Nov. and then it's going to take a while to get admitted, so January 2018 is a no go for me, and I guess now my next choice is August.

The issue with August is that my wife would have to start a new school year (she's a teacher) and then potentially try to move/ find a new job wherever I am stationed, which would be an issue. I wonder how hard it would be to convince the Army to let me join the Jan 2019 class rather than August 2018. I e-mailed a JAG that has been e-mailing me about the application, with this question, but haven't heard back from him yet. I was hoping someone here has some insight.

Thanks!
It is very likely that JARO will let you begin training in January of 2019. There are some instances on this board of folks delaying training for a bit, and JARO being fine with this. I would just email the accessions people with your info, and let them know your story. Hope this helps!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Can CAPT in the Navy JAG Corps leave a negative intern evaluation? I heard they are all supposed to be positive, but at the same time they are private and kept from the view of interns. Why is that? Does it have an internal recommendation for select or non select on this form? How can you tell if you have a positive intern evaluation if you were a prior Navy JAG Corps intern?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:Can CAPT in the Navy JAG Corps leave a negative intern evaluation? I heard they are all supposed to be positive, but at the same time they are private and kept from the view of interns. Why is that? Does it have an internal recommendation for select or non select on this form? How can you tell if you have a positive intern evaluation if you were a prior Navy JAG Corps intern?
Current extern with the Navy (hence the anon) and I have found evaluation form templates (and LOR recommendation templates for that matter) in our share folder. There are two templates in our folder. One is for an outstanding intern that is very positive, and another that is for a mediocre intern that is very reserved, but still ultimately recommends them for selection (albeit very non-persuasively). I would imagine you would need to really mess up in order to get a completely negative evaluation.

As far as seeing it, that will probably never happen. The Navy doesn't send it to you like the AF does. All you can do is wait right now and see if you are selected. If you are not selected, then you can call Accessions and ask how to strengthen your application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Army question here: I have submitted by certificate of good standing, have been medically approved, and told by JARO that I'm marked down for the January class. Are we going to sign anything to make this more official?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 am

Hey all, Army JAG two part question here.

1) I've been reading over this thread again, and I got a little paranoid since it seems like so many people were denied late in the process for medical conditions. I passed my MEPS and only have to send it my lab results, which shouldn't show any issues. I know that there is one final review of your MEPS and lab results. Has anyone ever passed the MEPS, had no issue with lab results and failed the final review? I have no medical issues that should preclude me from joining, but like I said I'm getting a little paranoid

2) I had one credit card debt sent to collections while I was in law school. I just couldn't pay it. It wasn't large, just a few thousand. Since then, I've paid almost all of it off, and I expect to have it all paid off by the time they do a security check. In addition, all my other debts have been paid on time, my credit score is decent, and I don't have debt right now beyond my student loans (and the little bit left in collection). There was no judgement entered against me for that debt. However, I heard financial issues can result in a failed security clearance. How bad does it look for me given my situation?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”