please delete Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
albanach

Gold

Re: Misdemeanor During 2L - Big Law Prospect

Post by albanach » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Hopefully you have a lawyer. If not, you need one.

I'm presuming you haven't signed anything with the firm that requires you to disclose charges? Check your school application - do you have a duty to notify them of charges?

Work with your lawyer to minimize the damage. Make sure they're experienced in this stuff.

Assuming you don't have an obligation to report charges, wait until you see what you're actually convicted of.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 pm

You have a lot to be worried about. I would seriously consider pulling together whatever finances you have (credit cards, parents, family, etc) and get a reputable criminal defense attorney.

This will also come up in c&f, so you will want to consult an attorney when that comes around as well.

As for the firm, is your job in a different state than your arrest? If so, there is a chance this won’t pull on a background check (depending on the type of search they use). But I imagine — and certainly could be wrong — that either of your charges (if not pleaded down) could result in the firm revoking your offer. For this reason it’s absolutely critical that the charges are minimized as much as possible.

Hope it works out for you.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I am freaking out right now.

I went out and got very intoxicated, to the point where I don't remember anything (this is atypical for me). I ended up being charged with 2 simple assault (bc resisting arrest) and one destruction of property (all misdemeanors).

I accepted an offer from a V50 firm, but now I am so scared that they will rescind it based on the above. Has anyone had a similar situation happen? How will this affect me? Should I start applying elsewhere?

Please help me, as the stress and anxiety are unbearable.

Thank you in advance.
Please PM me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Not the end of the world. As others noted, you will need to check how it affects C&F and if you had any sort of other agreements with the firm on that sort of stuff. But I personally had a misdemeanor that I pled to middle of 1L and had no issues with my firm or C&F, know of another person from my T14 that had similar charges to what you're describing during 2L who also was admitted and is doing just fine at a V10.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not the end of the world. As others noted, you will need to check how it affects C&F and if you had any sort of other agreements with the firm on that sort of stuff. But I personally had a misdemeanor that I pled to middle of 1L and had no issues with my firm or C&F, know of another person from my T14 that had similar charges to what you're describing during 2L who also was admitted and is doing just fine at a V10.
Did you tell the firm about it before the check? What about your friend?

And what about after the check? Did the firm contact either of you about it?

Thank you so much for the help!
Never told the firm, they never followed up. Know of one other person in my summer class who had a misdemeanor (a bit earlier, from college) who also didn't say anything. V50, fwiw.

Not sure how my classmate at the V10 went about handling it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Stop asking strangers on the internet and get a lawyer.

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:50 am

Honestly, I would be more worried about your future career with grammar like this: “does counseling for lawyers and law students that are in trouble.” Unless these are cyborg lawyers, then you are good.

Definitely don’t offer this up to the firm unless there is an express policy that applies to Summer Associates. Just don’t repeat this same mistake and maybe during your summer just avoid alcohol.

You’ll be fine. I got a misdemeanor after being admitted to the bar and still lateraled to another state and got through C&F and firm background check with no issues — it didn’t even cross my mind to be concerned in the slightest. Granted, that and my other pre-law misdemeanors are actually kind of endearing, unlike yours. But you will be just fine.

Honestly wonder if getting a crim attorney is even a good idea because they might just blow it out of proportion in order to justify their fees, but interested to hear what others have to say.

EDIT: read through the thread - when is your firms background check?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:09 am

I have no idea why people feel compelled to grammar nit pick posts on internet message boards.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:53 am

nixy wrote:I have no idea why people feel compelled to grammar nit pick posts on internet message boards.
Seconded. Probably a joy to work with/for.

64Fl

New

Post by 64Fl » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:51 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
nixy wrote:I have no idea why people feel compelled to grammar nit pick posts on internet message boards.
Seconded. Probably a joy to work with/for.
Thirded. It's petty and pedantic. This is an online message board, not a client email. It's also like c'mon we've all made their/they're or who/that etc. mistakes before. If you understand what the poster is saying, their grammar is good enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”