Sullivan & Cromwell NY v. Sidley Chicago Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Sullivan & Cromwell NY v. Sidley Chicago

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 am

If you think you would be happier in Chicago go with Sidley. They have a good investment funds group. I chose Chicago over NY and don't regret it at all

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 am

If Chicago is where you want to end up in the long run, then definitely start in Chicago. Starting at a big firm in NY definitely opens up doors for you if you're unclear where you want to be/what you want to be doing in the future, but coming from someone in NY, I find the benefits you're told as a law student/junior to be somewhat over-exaggerated.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:39 am

yodamiked wrote:Starting at a big firm in NY definitely opens up doors for you if you're unclear where you want to be/what you want to be doing in the future, but coming from someone in NY, I find the benefits you're told as a law student/junior to be somewhat over-exaggerated.
Especially when we're talking about the delta between NY and a major market like Chicago. If you're trying to choose between, say, NYC and Louisville, then it might make sense to worry about the kind of generic transactional work you'd get.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:If you think you would be happier in Chicago go with Sidley. They have a good investment funds group. I chose Chicago over NY and don't regret it at all
Completely agreed. I had a similar choice as OP. I ended, up choosing a top Chicago firm over Cravath, and I don't have a single regret. Chicago is a major market with high quality of work and a very affordable cost of living. Why turn that down for more prefftige when you're already hanging out in the highest echelon of biglaw in your major market?

MillllerTime

New

Post by MillllerTime » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Sidley, Kirkland, and (to a lesser extent) other major Chicago firms are full of people who either turned down top NY firms or who lateraled here after a few years. I have yet to meet anyone who was unhappy with their decision.

The work is only a very minor step down from the Cravaths and S&Cs, and not a step down at all from lesser NY shops - definitely not enough to make up for the lifestyle. It's mentioned on here plenty, but I can't stress enough how different the NY lifestyle is from the rest of the legal markets out there. If you have comparable options outside of NYC and you don't have a strong desire to live there, don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:42 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
yodamiked wrote:Starting at a big firm in NY definitely opens up doors for you if you're unclear where you want to be/what you want to be doing in the future, but coming from someone in NY, I find the benefits you're told as a law student/junior to be somewhat over-exaggerated.
Especially when we're talking about the delta between NY and a major market like Chicago. If you're trying to choose between, say, NYC and Louisville, then it might make sense to worry about the kind of generic transactional work you'd get.
Seconding this and everyone else's comments. If you want to end up in Chicago, start in Chicago. Whatever negligible difference there may be between Sidley and S&C's work will probably be worth it for you to start off in the city you actually want to be in. It's where you'll be cultivating your reputation, your network, personal life, etc., so no use putting in an extra step by going to New York first only to have to uproot yourself to go to Chicago.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 am

if this was Sidley NY vs. S&C NY, then answer would be S&C.

but it's not worth uprooting your life for a marginal amount of firm prestige. take sidley Chicago if that's where you want to live.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Generally NY requires a lot more face time. At my Chicago office, corporate associates work in the office between 9:30 and 5 and then usually can do everything else from home, lit associates have it even easier. Whereas I know in our NY office associates are expected to be in the office when working. Late nights working at home are a lot better than in the office. Also, I think most NY firms require first years to share offices. That is not the case in Chicago. Plus the money goes a lot further in Chicago.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Generally NY requires a lot more face time. At my Chicago office, corporate associates work in the office between 9:30 and 5 and then usually can do everything else from home, lit associates have it even easier. Whereas I know in our NY office associates are expected to be in the office when working. Late nights working at home are a lot better than in the office. Also, I think most NY firms require first years to share offices. That is not the case in Chicago. Plus the money goes a lot further in Chicago.[/quote]

Yep, number of hours may be the same, but working X hours in the office at 2am is infinitely worse than doing so on your couch. Also, I’ve never understood why NY folks tend to get to the office super late in the morning. Unnecessarily causes you to be in office later at night. But it’s pervasive (at least at my firm)..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:27 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Yep, number of hours may be the same, but working X hours in the office at 2am is infinitely worse than doing so on your couch. Also, I’ve never understood why NY folks tend to get to the office super late in the morning. Unnecessarily causes you to be in office later at night. But it’s pervasive (at least at my firm)..
At my firm, 9:30-10:00 is the regular start time, and I believe official business hours start at 9:30. I always found it bizarre too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”