Covington NY Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Covington NY Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Anyone know if first years (or second years) share offices?

Any thoughts on if having Cov NY on a resume has a similar advantage as having Cov DC if I'm looking for government work in DC down the line? I had no offers in DC but I'm thinking Cov NY maybe gets me closer to government than some of the other NY-centric firms I have offers from.

Along those lines—anyone know if it's common to transfer from satellites to the DC office?

thelawyler

Silver

Re: Covington NY Questions

Post by thelawyler » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 am

My understanding is that Covington NY used to be a stand alone boutique that got acquired. Not sure how that factors in but it will likely operate differently and a bit independently from the mother ship (they raised salaries before DC HQ, for example)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:05 am

Don't want to hijack the thread, but anyone have any idea how their corporate practice is like? I have a SA offer from them.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:10 am

thelawyler wrote:My understanding is that Covington NY used to be a stand alone boutique that got acquired. Not sure how that factors in but it will likely operate differently and a bit independently from the mother ship (they raised salaries before DC HQ, for example)
I think that was quite a while ago and the office is pretty well integrated into the firm. It'll still be a very different experience from the DC HQ, of course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:57 am

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
thelawyler wrote:My understanding is that Covington NY used to be a stand alone boutique that got acquired. Not sure how that factors in but it will likely operate differently and a bit independently from the mother ship (they raised salaries before DC HQ, for example)
I think that was quite a while ago and the office is pretty well integrated into the firm. It'll still be a very different experience from the DC HQ, of course.
DC and NY are extremely well integrated, and there’s lots of cross office staffing, for both lit and corporate. It doesn’t have quite the same cache on a resume and you won’t have at all the same opportunity to be part of one of the small government-focused groups in DC, but otherwise I don’t think the experience is all that different. On cross-office transfers, it happens pretty often. If you’re there for a couple years and have a good reputation, it is doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”