UChicago Law OCI 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago Law OCI 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from any of Fenwick & West's offices?

Or Orrick?

Or Dechert?

Or Foley & Lardner Chicago?
Fenwick SV callback last week Friday.
Fenwick NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Jenner Chicago callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Ding from Skadden Chicago

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Ding - Mayer Brown. Some Chicago firms are definitely yield protecting, but tbh they're right in my case, I wouldn't have worked there. If I had done really poorly with the very selective firms for some reason this would be quite a scary OCI though!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:26 am

deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ding - Mayer Brown. Some Chicago firms are definitely yield protecting, but tbh they're right in my case, I wouldn't have worked there. If I had done really poorly with the very selective firms for some reason this would be quite a scary OCI though!
There's no such thing as yield protecting in OCI. firms don't have to report yield for SA offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 am

You can find strong evidence elsewhere on this forum for the reluctance of certain firms to call people back with very high grades - the best hard evidence is for the New York market. GPA 75ths alone can also tell you that, since some firms don’t call back top students even though lots interview with them. Most clearly, many lower-tier, even below-market, DC firms attract many top students bidding exclusively the DC market for screeners but you can’t tell that from their 75ths. Callbacks are expensive both in time and in opportunity cost and at least at Chicago deriving yield is trivial (hence the reference to Cravath’s pathetic yield last year above).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:33 am

beeoBoop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ding - Mayer Brown. Some Chicago firms are definitely yield protecting, but tbh they're right in my case, I wouldn't have worked there. If I had done really poorly with the very selective firms for some reason this would be quite a scary OCI though!
There's no such thing as yield protecting in OCI. firms don't have to report yield for SA offers.
But presumably they want to fill their class ASAP and therefore don’t want to extend offers that won’t be accepted?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
beeoBoop wrote:
But presumably they want to fill their class ASAP and therefore don’t want to extend offers that won’t be accepted?
Plus cost of a callback (mostly attorney time but still).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You can find strong evidence elsewhere on this forum for the reluctance of certain firms to call people back with very high grades - the best hard evidence is for the New York market. GPA 75ths alone can also tell you that, since some firms don’t call back top students even though lots interview with them. Most clearly, many lower-tier, even below-market, DC firms attract many top students bidding exclusively the DC market for screeners but you can’t tell that from their 75ths. Callbacks are expensive both in time and in opportunity cost and at least at Chicago deriving yield is trivial (hence the reference to Cravath’s pathetic yield last year above).
DC is one of the most difficult, if not the hardest, market to enter. There is an incredible number of people from our class, in comparison to past years, applying to DC too. Some people won’t get jobs. Chicago is also more difficult than NYC.

Maybe instead of thinking your grades are getting you yielded at firms you should reconsider if coming across as having a pompous personality or not having as strong of interview skills as you think you have are the reasons you’re not getting callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:59 pm

beeoBoop wrote:
There's a huge amount of yield protection. I think even bigger than the costs is the fact that if they extend an offer (that a top-student will almost surely not take), they have to keep the offer open for several weeks while they could be nabbing other applicants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 pm

Chill out I have plenty of callbacks and offers and this is hardly a novel observation. Like I said I think yield protecting is a fully justified practice for firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chill out I have plenty of callbacks and offers and this is hardly a novel observation. Like I said I think yield protecting is a fully justified practice for firms.
LOL everybody else should calm down because I'm doing great. Yeah, I mean I'm one of the above anon complainers, and I'm doing fine to, but what a stupid thing to say to others who are struggling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:22 pm

Also who said I’m bidding for DC and I’m not bidding for NYC? Maybe get out of ready-fire-aim mode.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 pm

Lol this whole thread is so Chicago. You guys all need to chill out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You can find strong evidence elsewhere on this forum for the reluctance of certain firms to call people back with very high grades - the best hard evidence is for the New York market. GPA 75ths alone can also tell you that, since some firms don’t call back top students even though lots interview with them. Most clearly, many lower-tier, even below-market, DC firms attract many top students bidding exclusively the DC market for screeners but you can’t tell that from their 75ths. Callbacks are expensive both in time and in opportunity cost and at least at Chicago deriving yield is trivial (hence the reference to Cravath’s pathetic yield last year above).
DC is one of the most difficult, if not the hardest, market to enter. There is an incredible number of people from our class, in comparison to past years, applying to DC too. Some people won’t get jobs. Chicago is also more difficult than NYC.

Maybe instead of thinking your grades are getting you yielded at firms you should reconsider if coming across as having a pompous personality or not having as strong of interview skills as you think you have are the reasons you’re not getting callbacks.
Or maybe you should recognize that yield protection happens and not be a jerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Chill out I have plenty of callbacks and offers and this is hardly a novel observation. Like I said I think yield protecting is a fully justified practice for firms.
LOL everybody else should calm down because I'm doing great. Yeah, I mean I'm one of the above anon complainers, and I'm doing fine to, but what a stupid thing to say to others who are struggling.
He's just responding to the above poster who was ballsy enough to call him pompous because he said yield protection happens. He wasn't addressing everybody in the thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Yield protection does happen at some firms, not sure why that's controversial

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Has anyone gotten a callback from any office of Quinn Emanuel?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten a callback from any office of Quinn Emanuel?
Quinn DC last Sunday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Mayer Brown Chicago offers going out

Also, YP is a huge part of this whole process. Firms don't give callbacks/offers to candidates they suspect will end up elsewhere. Hilarious that someone is confidently denying that on this thread

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown Chicago offers going out

Also, YP is a huge part of this whole process. Firms don't give callbacks/offers to candidates they suspect will end up elsewhere. Hilarious that someone is confidently denying that on this thread
When did you interview at MB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown Chicago offers going out

When did you interview at MB?
Earlier this week

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beeoBoop wrote:
There's a huge amount of yield protection. I think even bigger than the costs is the fact that if they extend an offer (that a top-student will almost surely not take), they have to keep the offer open for several weeks while they could be nabbing other applicants.
As a biglaw associate who interviews students every week in the summer, including your classmates, no. There is no such thing as yield protect. The size of a summer class is variable so if we have more or less than the total number expected then whatever. Classes are large and that's part of the process. I think youre dramatically overestimating the value of an SA (and by extension a first year)

If you didn't get an offer from a firm that you think is beneath you, it's because they didn't like you. Not because they thought your grades were so good you'd never accept. This isn't law school and "yield" isn't a thing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”