Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:20 am

This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?

misterjames

Bronze
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby misterjames » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?


You should be fine, the difference between a first and second year are minimal. You should share your experience on finding this post-clerkship position though, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing how you made this happen. Clerkship to transactional group is near unheard of.

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Read a bunch of long contracts and enter the assignment provisions into a spreadsheet for a while.

User avatar
jkpolk

Silver
Posts: 1236
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Read a bunch of long contracts and enter the assignment provisions into a spreadsheet for a while.

Be very careful to make sure the signature page lines are the same length for each signatory.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?


You should be fine, the difference between a first and second year are minimal. You should share your experience on finding this post-clerkship position though, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing how you made this happen. Clerkship to transactional group is near unheard of.


OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.

misterjames

Bronze
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby misterjames » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?


You should be fine, the difference between a first and second year are minimal. You should share your experience on finding this post-clerkship position though, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing how you made this happen. Clerkship to transactional group is near unheard of.


OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.


Fair enough, although I question how gold that star is if it's largely inapplicable to your subsequent practice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?


You should be fine, the difference between a first and second year are minimal. You should share your experience on finding this post-clerkship position though, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing how you made this happen. Clerkship to transactional group is near unheard of.


OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.


Fair enough, although I question how gold that star is if it's largely inapplicable to your subsequent practice.


OP here. So do I. I accepted the clerkship before deciding whether to join the firm’s lit or transactional groups. I.e., I had an offer, but hadn’t decided which group to join.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash

Gold
Posts: 3127
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm

All second years are overpaid first years, you're good

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2580
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby QContinuum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.


Fair enough, although I question how gold that star is if it's largely inapplicable to your subsequent practice.

Eh, who knows. On the off chance anon ever develops an itch for legal academia down the road, that clerkship will still be helpful.

Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 am

QContinuum wrote:
misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.


Fair enough, although I question how gold that star is if it's largely inapplicable to your subsequent practice.

Eh, who knows. On the off chance anon ever develops an itch for legal academia down the road, that clerkship will still be helpful.

Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)


Yes!

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2580
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby QContinuum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)


Yes!

Thanks for the response and kudos again on the clerkship!

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)


Yes!

Thanks for the response and kudos again on the clerkship!


Of course, and thanks for modding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339068
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

I'm also a little concerned about this OP. Going into an M&A group after an appellate clerkship because that was what my summer was and I didn't get an offer from the boutiques I was trying for during clerkship.

In theory there's some overlap in knowledge since it was DE Supreme, but still a bit worried.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.