How do firms decide on offers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do firms decide on offers?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm at a firm that has a much smaller litigation group (which is what I wanna do) than their corporate work, so I've been told that only certain people will get offers to come back as litigation track. What can I do to ensure that I get such an offer? I could see myself being happy doing either, but I much prefer litigation. The firm keeps stressing that we should try everything and keep an open mind. I talked to someone today and it sounded like they've been given a lot more litigation work than me. They've had like 15 assignments within the past few weeks all in different types of cases. I can't even fathom how they're juggling that much including summer lunches and social events if they're actually substantial assignments. Meanwhile, I've been stuck on just a few cases of all the same type because the attorneys keep dumping more stuff on me after I turn it in. I fear taking on more work could make my quality of work suffer, but then after hearing all of this person's assignments, now I worry maybe I should be working myself harder?

Should I keep working with this same partner so he can perhaps advocate for me to get a litigation offer? Or would it be smarter to take on a bunch of assignments from different people so my name gets around more?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: How do firms decide on offers?

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:42 pm

No specific advice, but getting repeat work on 4-5 cases sounds better than having 15 one-off assignments on a bunch of different cases. Also, don’t sweat too much about hardos who want to talk about how much work they have been doing as a summer. It’s, generally, meaningless.

ETA: I would try and diversify who you are working with a bit. Also, don’t forget to take on some corporate stuff. Don’t want too many eggs in any one basket (on a practice group or partner level).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”