Interview with a firm where the owner was disbarred for several years Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview with a firm where the owner was disbarred for several years

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Basically what the title says. I have a second interview with this firm and the owner was disbarred from 2010 to 2017 for forging orders and lying to clients about it, and subsequently lying to the state bar about it. The firm seemed like a good opportunity, but this has me pretty concerned tbh. However, I'm not sure how picky I can be. I'm a 2018 T1 graduate doing doc review looking for my first job out of school. So, should I ask about this in the interview, and should this be a deal breaker for me?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: Interview with a firm where the owner was disbarred for several years

Post by icansortofmath » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 pm

It should be a deal breaker because he’s going to throw you under the bus the next time he gets in trouble. Worse, he’s going to ask you to do unethical things.

I am of course assuming he hasn’t reformed.

Jinjuice

New

Post by Jinjuice » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:05 pm

If you can’t find anything better, I would take this opportunity with caution. I don’t think this will be a right fit for you though. A second interview for a solo?? Geez. Also, how do you know about this guy’s history and what he was disbarred for?
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:37 pm

No. Don't do this. Stay w doc review and keep looking. This place is toxic, short term, and not better than doc review.

Edit: I'm saying dot accept. Doing an interview and having an offer can only help to leverage other offers

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:49 pm

icansortofmath wrote:It should be a deal breaker because he’s going to throw you under the bus the next time he gets in trouble. Worse, he’s going to ask you to do unethical things.

I am of course assuming he hasn’t reformed.
This. He will absolutely 1) gradually use you to do more and more unethical things 2) be an immense dick if you resist 3) throw you under the bus the moment he needs to regardless of what happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”