Normal or concerning? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Normal or concerning?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 pm

I recently started at a new firm and was staffed on some assignments that dealt with drafting documents/parts of documents. Anyway, I drafted a document and sent it off to the partners. Didn’t hear anything back, SAS the document (which maybe had a sentence of what I wrote), and all of my hours were written off.

I know lateraling takes a while to adjust (I’ve heard it takes up to a year to really adjust), but should I be concerned that no one took the effort to tell me my work sucks and they’re going to write off all of my hours?

sidesalad

New

Re: Normal or concerning?

Post by sidesalad » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Biglaw? How senior are you? If very junior, I wouldn’t be concerned - in all likelihood the partners are just busy and dropped the ball on giving you feedback. If you are more senior, then I’d be more concerned about the fact that you drafted a document that they (seemingly) considered worthless than the fact that you didn’t hear back about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 am

It depends. What class year are you? Big law?

If you're a first year, this happens all the time, and I wouldn't worry, especially if this is a type of document you've never drafted before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:It depends. What class year are you? Big law?

If you're a first year, this happens all the time, and I wouldn't worry, especially if this is a type of document you've never drafted before.
I’m a midlevel (the firm does weird classes - rising 3rd year) at a boutique. I lateraled from biglaw. But, yes, never dealt with this ancillary agreement before and was staffed on it last minute so had no idea what I was doing.

sidesalad

New

Post by sidesalad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It depends. What class year are you? Big law?

I’m a midlevel (the firm does weird classes - rising 3rd year) at a boutique. I lateraled from biglaw. But, yes, never dealt with this ancillary agreement before and was staffed on it last minute so had no idea what I was doing.
Have you considered just reaching out to one of the partners and asking about your work? You could note that you'd not worked on that sort of agreement before (gives you at least some cover for it not being what they were looking for) and express interest in understanding how you missed the mark so you can do a better job next time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”