Manatt LA or OC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Manatt LA or OC

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Does anyone have any info re Manatt LA or OC? From what I can tell, they pay market, but on some weird merit-based system that isn't necessarily lockstep. Also is it true that hour requirement is 1950? I am also interested in their employment practice - comp the same as the rest of the firm or less so?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Manatt LA or OC

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:50 pm

I may be out of date, but Manatt does not pay market and were a good amount below market when I was in law school. Their black box “merit based” comp system could theoretically pay you market, but realistically it does not and you won’t get paid market.

I can’t speak to their hours requirement (color me skeptical especially if you want that “merit based” comp) or their employment practice other than knowing someone left as a junior to go to Jackson Lewis...which isn’t an encouraging sign.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I may be out of date, but Manatt does not pay market and were a good amount below market when I was in law school. Their black box “merit based” comp system could theoretically pay you market, but realistically it does not and you won’t get paid market.

I can’t speak to their hours requirement (color me skeptical especially if you want that “merit based” comp) or their employment practice other than knowing someone left as a junior to go to Jackson Lewis...which isn’t an encouraging sign.

Thanks, yeah that is not an encouraging sign. Especially since firms like Jackson Lewis and Litter definitely, do not pay market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:49 pm

Current Manatt associate here. I can confirm that compensation is "merit-based" although the firm is moving towards more of a lock-step approach with the arrival of a new managing partner.

There are certain associate "tiers" and depending on where you rank within the tier determines how much your base salary is. Overall, you can make "market" base salary until you get to like 4/5th year associate territory. Where the firm will certainly disappoint is bonuses, which are generally way below market, like $5,000 for first years.

Overall hours target is 1950 though many bill less than that. It is a relaxed place to work compared to other big firms so it has that going for it. Not the place to go if you are simply looking to make the most money.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Current Manatt associate here. I can confirm that compensation is "merit-based" although the firm is moving towards more of a lock-step approach with the arrival of a new managing partner.

There are certain associate "tiers" and depending on where you rank within the tier determines how much your base salary is. Overall, you can make "market" base salary until you get to like 4/5th year associate territory. Where the firm will certainly disappoint is bonuses, which are generally way below market, like $5,000 for first years.

Overall hours target is 1950 though many bill less than that. It is a relaxed place to work compared to other big firms so it has that going for it. Not the place to go if you are simply looking to make the most money.

So, what’s the comp (salary + bonus) of an average 2nd year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 pm

I would say that a second year will have a base in the range of $182,500-$190,000 with a bonus of $3,000-$15,000.

To get to the top base level you would need to have a strong first year, in other words, hitting 1950, which can be tough. Even if you get top base and top bonus, you will still be behind market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would say that a second year will have a base in the range of $182,500-$190,000 with a bonus of $3,000-$15,000.

To get to the top base level you would need to have a strong first year, in other words, hitting 1950, which can be tough. Even if you get top base and top bonus, you will still be behind market.

Do you have a general idea for laterals? I am class of 2015, and my recruiter told me the base would likely be 190,000 - 210,000. Does that sound right or out of proportion?

Also, how would you generally describe the partners in the firm? Reasonable? Or sending emails in the middle of the night with unreasonable deadlines? I am just curious that if they don't pay big law salary, do they at least not give big law stress.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:10 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would say that a second year will have a base in the range of $182,500-$190,000 with a bonus of $3,000-$15,000.

Do you have a general idea for laterals? I am class of 2015, and my recruiter told me the base would likely be 190,000 - 210,000. Does that sound right or out of proportion?

Also, how would you generally describe the partners in the firm? Reasonable? Or sending emails in the middle of the night with unreasonable deadlines? I am just curious that if they don't pay big law salary, do they at least not give big law stress.

That sounds about right. I would try to get to $220,000 though as I think there are a few class of 2016's who made it there. With market for you at $255,000 you don't want to take as big of a haircut.

As to the partners, I have found them all to be extremely reasonable save for one or two, which you can generally avoid. Weekend work is limited from my experience and both corp/litigation people share this belief. Also,no big facetime requirement and the office is a ghost town after 530p or on Fridays. Office is moving from West LA to Century City early 2020 so consider that when deciding on the firm.

Raiden

Bronze

Postby Raiden » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Thanks for the inside info - that must be a big move with it being the main office. I was debating between the Costa Mesa office and the LA office...but the LA office is the main office. And from what I’ve read, it seems as if associates have to seek out work and there isn’t a system to balance work.

The limited face time requirement is a big positive. But the opaque salary system is a bummer. But if there is a decent work-life balance, then it seems worth it.

If you don’t mind, feel free to message me privately to discuss further.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 am

the comp is fine in light of the non-crazy hours IMO. happy with my choice.

Return to “Legal Employment?