Advice needed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LakeBanana

New

Advice needed

Post by LakeBanana » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:45 pm

After a meeting with a Partner (for a job), he replied my “thank you for your meeting” email with, “it was very nice meeting you. Thank you for your time and interest in [x firm]. Best, .” Is that a polite way of rejection? Thanks!

nixy

Gold

Re: Advice needed

Post by nixy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 pm

No. You're not rejected till you're rejected. They will tell you directly if you're rejected. That said, you also don't have the job until you have the job. The partner is just answering your e-mail.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 pm

LakeBanana wrote:After a meeting with a Partner (for a job), he replied my “thank you for your meeting” email with, “it was very nice meeting you. Thank you for your time and interest in [x firm]. Best, .” Is that a polite way of rejection? Thanks!
Can you be a little more specific?

For example, was this a big firm? Is he a hiring partner? Was this an interview?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 pm

The thanks for your time makes it a probable rejection. At least you're not on top of the pile.

Still, there is hope still, especially if he/she is not the only one that interviewed you.

LakeBanana

New

Post by LakeBanana » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm

nixy wrote:No. You're not rejected till you're rejected. They will tell you directly if you're rejected. That said, you also don't have the job until you have the job. The partner is just answering your e-mail.

Thank you! That sounds hopeful! But I am just not sure whether firms still send rejection note these days.
Last edited by LakeBanana on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 pm

icansortofmath wrote:The thanks for your time makes it a probable rejection. At least you're not on top of the pile.

Still, there is hope still, especially if he/she is not the only one that interviewed you.
He is the hiring partner. I though the meeting went well, but then this email came through. In my experience partners would say or hint they would be in touch when interviews went well.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
icansortofmath wrote:The thanks for your time makes it a probable rejection. At least you're not on top of the pile.

He is the hiring partner. I though the meeting went well, but then this email came through. In my experience partners would say or hint they would be in touch when interviews went well.
Hard/impossible to tell and it's best not to spend time/energy dissecting these communiques for hidden meanings. I've ended up with rejections after receiving the strongest hints in the world that I'd be getting an offer ("hope you'll come here!" "looking forward to working together!" etc.); and on the flip side I once received an offer after one of my interviewers flat-out told me he disliked me at first sight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:43 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hard/impossible to tell and it's best not to spend time/energy dissecting these communiques for hidden meanings. I've ended up with rejections after receiving the strongest hints in the world that I'd be getting an offer ("hope you'll come here!" "looking forward to working together!" etc.); and on the flip side I once received an offer after one of my interviewers flat-out told me he disliked me at first sight.
Right, I have been there myself. Just really interested in this place.

Anonesq

New

Post by Anonesq » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Assume you’ve been rejected after every interview until you get an offer.

By the way I’ve received wonderful responses to my thank you emails only to later receive a rejection email/letter. Lol.
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”