2020 Vault Law Firm Rankings Released Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
xtremenite

New

2020 Vault Law Firm Rankings Released

Post by xtremenite » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

https://www.vault.com/best-companies-to ... s-rankings

1. Cravath
2. Wachtell
3. Skadden
4. S&C
5. Latham
6. Kirkland (+)
7. DPW (-)
8. STB (-)
9. GDC
10. PW
11. Weil
12. Sidley (+)
13. Quinn (-)
14. Cleary
15. Covington

yooobagz

New

Re: 2020 Vault Law Firm Rankings Released

Post by yooobagz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Milbank jumping 15 spots because they put some extra scratch in people's pockets...just as God intended.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Davis Polk what the fuck.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:01 pm

DoveBodyWash wrote:Davis Polk what the fuck.
It's more "why does anyone think Kirkland and Latham are good firms?"

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Law students/juniors these days, I've found, are by and large unaware of the "Lathamings" of last decade.

Kirkland I think gets an especially great rep for its "market-shattering" bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Wild Card wrote:
I was promised durable prestige in exchange for suffocating "flourish-where-we-plant-you" passive aggression, cafeteria holiday parties and cheap [insert anything]. V7, V100, what's the difference.
Last edited by tlsadmin3 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-anon user

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
I was promised durable prestige in exchange for suffocating "flourish-where-we-plant-you" passive aggression, cafeteria holiday parties and cheap [insert anything]. V7, V100, what's the difference.

Anon by accident.
This was me. DPW you POS, summer bonus right now and redeem yourselves.
Last edited by tlsadmin3 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:49 pm

yooobagz wrote:Milbank jumping 15 spots because they put some extra scratch in people's pockets...just as God intended.
I guarantee the partners are absolutely chuffed

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
yooobagz wrote:Milbank jumping 15 spots because they put some extra scratch in people's pockets...just as God intended.
Academic Year Budget
$101,345

https://www.law.columbia.edu/financial- ... -budgeting

Total
$99,858

https://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/bu ... ensebudget

--

Any benefit has been totally recaptured by the law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

biglaw_advice

New

Post by biglaw_advice » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:27 pm

It's been said here a thousand times, but for any law students looking to decide between firms, take these lists with a grain of salt. They can be useful with all else being equal - but rarely is all else equal. You'll have a better feel for one firm or the other by your own research, interviews, or (the best option) talking with associates at those firms.

When you go to a firm, you are working for a group of people that will have an incredible impact on your day to day happiness and overall well-being. These lists can't help you decide how you will end up in that group. The only way (in my experience) is to talk to associates at those firms to get a feel for their lives in their specific groups. I'm a midlevel at a big firm and have a completely different work life than the associate in the next office. We're even in the same umbrella group but have different sub-groups.

In case it helps any rising 2Ls/3Ls combing through the vault list, here are some more thoughts on how working in a firm depends so, so much on what group/sub-group you end up working in: https://biglawadvice.com/2019/04/27/you ... -law-firm/

Yeezus.

New

Post by Yeezus. » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Sad that this list will trick unsuspecting rising 2Ls into going to Latham & Kirkland LOL.
Last edited by QContinuum on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:25 pm

All the Kirkland associates I've met recently have been happy drunks.

Come to think of it, may be problematic they were all drunk.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:20 pm

biglaw_advice wrote:It's been said here a thousand times, but for any law students looking to decide between firms, take these lists with a grain of salt. They can be useful with all else being equal - but rarely is all else equal. You'll have a better feel for one firm or the other by your own research, interviews, or (the best option) talking with associates at those firms.

When you go to a firm, you are working for a group of people that will have an incredible impact on your day to day happiness and overall well-being. These lists can't help you decide how you will end up in that group. The only way (in my experience) is to talk to associates at those firms to get a feel for their lives in their specific groups. I'm a midlevel at a big firm and have a completely different work life than the associate in the next office. We're even in the same umbrella group but have different sub-groups.

In case it helps any rising 2Ls/3Ls combing through the vault list, here are some more thoughts on how working in a firm depends so, so much on what group/sub-group you end up working in: https://biglawadvice.com/2019/04/27/you ... -law-firm/
The above is TCR here. Firms differ - to a surprisingly large extent! - in terms of culture. Don't pooh-pooh it; it can really make a huge difference in your day-to-day happiness/ability to put up with the workload. Someone who loves the culture at Debevoise, for example, is likely to be miserable at Kirkland (and vice versa). That person would be ill-served by choosing Kirkland over Deb based on the Vault rankings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tenzen

New

Post by Tenzen » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:34 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Law students/juniors these days, I've found, are by and large unaware of the "Lathamings" of last decade.

Kirkland I think gets an especially great rep for its "market-shattering" bonuses.
Lathaming should never be forgotten.

As to Kirkland, curious if the summer associate firing will impact next year's rank.

And kudos to Milbank. Much deserved.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Wild Card wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Academic Year Budget
$101,345

https://www.law.columbia.edu/financial- ... -budgeting

Total
$99,858

https://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/bu ... ensebudget

--

Any benefit has been totally recaptured by the law schools.
Lol I don’t think the partners care about how much law school is. They just care about prefffffstige and their own paychecks. I had a partner bitch about the raises because they’re for “no reason”. I mentioned that it’s helpful because most of us have a ton of loans and he said “what’s the average these days, $40k? $50k?”

Never underestimate how out of touch pantherns are

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Tenzen wrote:As to Kirkland, curious if the summer associate firing will impact next year's rank.
Did I miss something?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Tenzen wrote:As to Kirkland, curious if the summer associate firing will impact next year's rank.
Did I miss something?
Yea, I don't think there's anything to suggest that the fired summer from the other thread was summering at Kirkland. (In fact, many have questioned whether there was an actual firing at all or if it was simply a troll.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ultramar vistas

Bronze

Post by Ultramar vistas » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Tenzen wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Wild Card wrote:

As to Kirkland, curious if the summer associate firing will impact next year's rank.
Why on earth would firing a summer (not that Kirkland did, as far as I know) impact how associates fill in the vault survey? You know most associates (jokingly... but still...) feel like about a third of the summer class should be fired, right?

10b5-1

New

Post by 10b5-1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Yeezus. wrote:Sad that this list will trick unsuspecting rising 2Ls into going to Latham & Kirkland LOL.
Yeesh, being salty about vault rankings is almost as embarrassing as using them to choose a firm.

spidey314

New

Post by spidey314 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 pm

DoveBodyWash wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
+1

It's too bad these rankings came out after we had our annual town hall...would have loved to see someone ask Tom Reid for his parting thoughts.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:15 am

Wild Card wrote:
Lol yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 am

The Vault rankings have always been of dubious import, but they've truly outlived their usefulness with the publication of this list. Latham a top-5 firm?! Kirkland at 6?! The idea that either of those firms is "more prestigious" than Davis Polk, Simpson Thacher or Cleary Gottlieb is preposterous, unless prestige is somehow an analog for lower hiring standards, lower billable rates and lower desirability among recruits.

It's truly asinine that the critical mass of idiots voting in this poll have come to view having 1 billion offices, 2 billion lawyers and $10 billion in revenue as some measure of prestige, when by most any rational person's standards such levels of ubiquity and accessibility would indicate the opposite. I guess Latham, Kirkland and Skadden can continue their inexorable marches to the top of these farcical rankings. CSM, S&C, DPW, STB and CGSH will continue to fight over law school students, and I suppose LW, K&E and Skadden will continue fighting over their leftovers, regardless of what Vault says.

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:07 am

This thread should be retitled: “Butthurt DPW associates whining about their lack of prestige from their tiny hovel offices”

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:48 am

Man from Nantucket wrote:This thread should be retitled: “Butthurt DPW associates whining about their lack of prestige from their tiny hovel offices”
:lol:

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

SLS_AMG wrote:The Vault rankings have always been of dubious import, but they've truly outlived their usefulness with the publication of this list. Latham a top-5 firm?! Kirkland at 6?! The idea that either of those firms is "more prestigious" than Davis Polk, Simpson Thacher or Cleary Gottlieb is preposterous, unless prestige is somehow an analog for lower hiring standards, lower billable rates and lower desirability among recruits.

It's truly asinine that the critical mass of idiots voting in this poll have come to view having 1 billion offices, 2 billion lawyers and $10 billion in revenue as some measure of prestige, when by most any rational person's standards such levels of ubiquity and accessibility would indicate the opposite. I guess Latham, Kirkland and Skadden can continue their inexorable marches to the top of these farcical rankings. CSM, S&C, DPW, STB and CGSH will continue to fight over law school students, and I suppose LW, K&E and Skadden will continue fighting over their leftovers, regardless of what Vault says.
Lmao imagine being this stupid and unhinged.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”