Midlevel Corporate Associate Going In-House: AMA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Midlevel Corporate Associate Going In-House: AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 am

It's been a while since I've been here, but I just accepted an offer to go in-house and I'm so relieved and pumped. I'm a 2016 grad, with a stint at a V5 and now am in a desirable tertiary market.

AMA

Anonymous User

Re: Midlevel Corporate Associate Going In-House: AMA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's been a while since I've been here, but I just accepted an offer to go in-house and I'm so relieved and pumped. I'm a 2016 grad, with a stint at a V5 and now am in a desirable tertiary market.

AMA
I have a lot of questions, but I'll try to keep it brief (similar situation).

T14?

To clarify, you practiced at a V5 and are moving to an in-house position in a desirable tertiary market--or did you actually practice at a firm in the tertiary market?

Did you leverage connections (client/otherwise)/recruiter/direct apply? What did your offers look like (comp, etc.)?

Thanks so much.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:29 pm

O shit is class of 2016 midlevel?

Regarding comp - how much did they go up from their initial offer?

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

What practice group were you in at the firm? What kind of work will you be doing in-house?

Was going in-house always a goal for you?

How did you find out about the position?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm guessing he wasn't in a tertiary market, as I don't know nay v5s in tertiary markets (unless you count Houston).

Op: what is your comp looking like now? Was it hard to convince people you want to move to a teriary market?

Edit: what was your conversion rate from callbacks?
Last edited by dabigchina on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm

How long was the search? How was the interview process like? Did you use recruiters?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 pm

OP Here.

I started at a V5 in NYC. Didn't last long at the V5 and went to an AmLaw firm in the tertiary market where my family lives. I was in a corporate/transactional practice. Some M&A, a lot of finance and cap markets.

Not T14, but a school right outside it.

An exclusive recruiter found me and collected resumes and organized interviews. Everyone went through this search firm.

Comp (including target bonus) is going to be around 220-230.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here.

I started at a V5 in NYC. Didn't last long at the V5 and went to an AmLaw firm in the tertiary market where my family lives. I was in a corporate/transactional practice. Some M&A, a lot of finance and cap markets.

An exclusive recruiter found me and collected resumes and organized interviews. Everyone went through this search firm.

How many rounds of interviews did you have? I'm also a 2016 grad going through the interviewing process in NorCal and have made it to multiple 2nd rounds and am waiting for word on if they will have additional rounds. Did they make you do any written assignments? One of the companies gave me a marked up contract and we had to discuss it in the interview (like, why is this change bad, why is this change good, and etc.) so I'm curious if that's normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How many rounds of interviews did you have? I'm also a 2016 grad going through the interviewing process in NorCal and have made it to multiple 2nd rounds and am waiting for word on if they will have additional rounds. Did they make you do any written assignments? One of the companies gave me a marked up contract and we had to discuss it in the interview (like, why is this change bad, why is this change good, and etc.) so I'm curious if that's normal.
No written assignments or anything wacky like that. All the interviews were normal law firm type interviews.

I had a few phone interviews and then a round of in-person interviews followed by another phone interview. Process took about a month from initial contact to offer. Moved pretty quick in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 pm

dabigchina wrote:I'm guessing he wasn't in a tertiary market, as I don't know nay v5s in tertiary markets (unless you count Houston).

Op: what is your comp looking like now? Was it hard to convince people you want to move to a teriary market?

Edit: what was your conversion rate from callbacks?
1/1, baby. I wasn't looking to move, but found out about a really good opportunity and figured I wanted to know more about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Thanks for doing this, OP.

1. How did you find this recruiter?

2. Did the interviewer give you a sense when/if you'd hear back before you were contacted again? Or was it just radio silence?

3. Did you accept their initial comp offer? If not, how far off were they/how much did you bargain for?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No written assignments or anything wacky like that. All the interviews were normal law firm type interviews.

I had a few phone interviews and then a round of in-person interviews followed by another phone interview. Process took about a month from initial contact to offer. Moved pretty quick in my opinion.
Why did they have another round of phone interviews after the in person? Was someone not available?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:51 pm

If OP doesn't mind, I'm in a similar boat and would be happy to answer questions as well. I'm a class of 2015 associate who recently accepted an offer to go in house from biglaw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Does that comp include any kind of equity? Or is that just salary and bonus? I am guessing a smaller market (not Texas/Chicago)? That sounds like a great gig.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm

For those answering Qs, how did you go about the job search? Law firm connects, indeed/go-in-house/LinkedIn, or something else? The biggest gating item for me is just figuring out what is out there. Thanks for your time!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those answering Qs, how did you go about the job search? Law firm connects, indeed/go-in-house/LinkedIn, or something else? The biggest gating item for me is just figuring out what is out there. Thanks for your time!
I'm the non-OP poster in here. I spent a while doing indeed, go-in-house, LinkedIn and venture loop. I got a ton of interviews but no offers. Eventually, I let it out to a partner that I worked with that I didn't see myself staying at the firm for long and that I wanted to go in house. That's when opportunities really started to open up and I received an offer. I don't know that that will work everywhere but it does some places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for doing this, OP.

1. How did you find this recruiter?

2. Did the interviewer give you a sense when/if you'd hear back before you were contacted again? Or was it just radio silence?

3. Did you accept their initial comp offer? If not, how far off were they/how much did you bargain for?
OP Here.

1. The recruiter found me and sent me messages on linkedin and an email.
2. I was contacted and had the first round interview was a week later. A couple days after that I was told I was moving to the second round interview. And so on and so forth.
3. I negotiated a bit and got a $10-15k higher base (and the bonus is a % of the base, so it helps there too).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Does that comp include any kind of equity? Or is that just salary and bonus? I am guessing a smaller market (not Texas/Chicago)? That sounds like a great gig.
No equity, unfortunately. Yes, a smaller market. (think SE cities like Richmond/Charleston/Asheville/Durham)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 am

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why did they have another round of phone interviews after the in person? Was someone not available?
There were a few concerns that needed to be clarified. Mostly my commitment to staying at the company and not bouncing around after a couple years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”