Failing Bar on First Try and Lateralling Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Failing Bar on First Try and Lateralling

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 pm

I'm a 3rd year associate looking to lateral to California. After graduating from law school I took the CA bar exam and in between the exam and when the results came out, I moved to another state with my spouse and fortunately landed a big law gig at a V50. I took that other state's bar the following February and passed, but learned that I failed the CA bar. I re-took California the following July and passed.

I have an interview next week in CA and I'm worried they will ask about which bar I took first, etc. Especially since they can look me up and see when I was admitted in both states. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can twist this? Is this something that normally comes up?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: Failing Bar on First Try and Lateralling

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:11 pm

I know biglaw associates in SF that never bothered to take CA because they never go to court and firm never asked them to so you’re probably okay just asking firm you’re lateraling to if they want you to take CA bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 pm

icansortofmath wrote:I know biglaw associates in SF that never bothered to take CA because they never go to court and firm never asked them to so you’re probably okay just asking firm you’re lateraling to if they want you to take CA bar.
OP here, to be clear, I passed the bar the 2nd time around. I'm just not sure if it's a stain on my record and would prevent me from getting an offer?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Uh. No. Lol. Nobody cares.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:55 pm

icansortofmath wrote:Uh. No. Lol. Nobody cares.
Seconding this. You're a third year, with two or three years of experience working at a big law firm in a different state. If anything, they'll be pleased to know that you're already California barred so they don't have to worry about you having to take it on their time. There's no way that they'll even know you failed the bar unless you tell them. In the interview they'll be more focused on your current experience, why you're looking to leave, etc., and almost certainly won't ask you anything about the timing of when you took the bar (you may have to fill out some sort of information sheet with the bar admission dates, but no one is going to spend time putting together a timeline and wondering what you did in July of 2016 or whatever). When I lateraled, they just wanted to know where I was admitted and the timing of getting admitted to my new state. Please never think about this again, and good luck with your interview!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”