HLS EIP 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone feel like this year is tougher on callbacks overall? I heard that many firms are bracing for another recession and hiring less. I definitely feel a bit misled by OCS about the whole "the only 'H' that matters is in 'Harvard' on your transcripts," since my callback count seems to disagree.
Approximately how many callbacks do you have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone feel like this year is tougher on callbacks overall? I heard that many firms are bracing for another recession and hiring less. I definitely feel a bit misled by OCS about the whole "the only 'H' that matters is in 'Harvard' on your transcripts," since my callback count seems to disagree.
None, with roughly 1/3 of firms having sent ding emails. I think I way overestimated my chances based on my "virtual H's," given my grades were all Ps and I was interviewing outside of NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
None, with roughly 1/3 of firms having sent ding emails. I think I way overestimated my chances based on my "virtual H's," given my grades were all Ps and I was interviewing outside of NYC.
In that case, the problem is you. The folks at OCS specifically advise people who have lower grades to bid in bigger markets, like NYC. If you have all Ps, you can't afford to be as picky as people with better grades. As a recent HLS grad who participated in EIP and worked with OCS, I'm pretty sure no one there said "the only 'H' that matters is in 'Harvard' on your transcripts." Don't try to shift the blame to the people at OCS.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:04 pm

I think what the above poster means is start mass mailing NY firms asap!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Haha wow harsh. Yeah all is not lost, but *it is if you don't focus up on NY mass mail pronto*.

I know people at Cravath and Davis Polk with straight Ps, and, frankly, if you kick ass at a NYC firm during the summer, you can often convince them to start you in another office. Further, if you get grades up 2L (Hs are handed out like candy in 2L if you actually try), you will be able to shop your NY offer and re-interview at other firms in your city of choosing. But without a full time offer or a clerkship by 3L EIP it's going to be hard to get any BigLaw firm anywhere to give you a serious look.

In short: hit up all the NYC firms' recruiting contacts, your HLS friends at those firms (often summers become tight with the recruiters, and can get your email to the top of the pile), and of course any attorneys at the firms you have a personal connection with already from receptions, lunch talks, etc. In a couple weeks you're a pariah, but for now you're just a hungry kid who, having learned more about the markets she is interested in during EIP, regrets not having bid Sidley New York and would love to schedule a chat to speak about summer associate opportunities.

One other note: I would schedule a mock interview with OCS this week. A strike out even with straight Ps means you may be a slightly awkward interviewer or something, and OCS will pick up on that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haha wow harsh. Yeah all is not lost, but *it is if you don't focus up on NY mass mail pronto*.

I know people at Cravath and Davis Polk with straight Ps, and, frankly, if you kick ass at a NYC firm during the summer, you can often convince them to start you in another office. Further, if you get grades up 2L (Hs are handed out like candy in 2L if you actually try), you will be able to shop your NY offer and re-interview at other firms in your city of choosing. But without a full time offer or a clerkship by 3L EIP it's going to be hard to get any BigLaw firm anywhere to give you a serious look.

In short: hit up all the NYC firms' recruiting contacts, your HLS friends at those firms (often summers become tight with the recruiters, and can get your email to the top of the pile), and of course any attorneys at the firms you have a personal connection with already from receptions, lunch talks, etc. In a couple weeks you're a pariah, but for now you're just a hungry kid who, having learned more about the markets she is interested in during EIP, regrets not having bid Sidley New York and would love to schedule a chat to speak about summer associate opportunities.

One other note: I would schedule a mock interview with OCS this week. A strike out even with straight Ps means you may be a slightly awkward interviewer or something, and OCS will pick up on that.
Thank you for giving encouraging, helpful advice. Admittedly, I have a strong resume for PI work, which might have scared some firms off who thought I just wanted to ditch after a couple of years, and it probably didn't help that I added "because I wanted to help people" when asked why I went to law school. I'm honestly not sure if I want to work in NYC, otherwise I would have bid it in a heartbeat. I'm juggling just applying to PI jobs and living with debt, or maybe an approach like you describe.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Sure, I get that, but your absolute best chance at having the option of biglaw is now. Not getting on it immediately means no biglaw. The choice is taken from you. That's fine if you don't want it, but it doesn't sound life you're sure.

Re New York, you can work there for a summer and transfer before you start. That's not a big deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Taking no position on the mass mail thing for unlucky anon, butI echo the sentiment that this year was unusually brutal. went 4/15 on CBs with good grades and LR.

attitude went from "I will have my pick of the litter (hubris i know) to "i will probably get a job"

hiyahh1

New

Post by hiyahh1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:28 am

Dcc617 wrote:Sure, I get that, but your absolute best chance at having the option of biglaw is now. Not getting on it immediately means no biglaw. The choice is taken from you. That's fine if you don't want it, but it doesn't sound life you're sure.

Re New York, you can work there for a summer and transfer before you start. That's not a big deal.
^Exactly. It's also not that hard to network with partners in other offices of your firm during 2L and then ask them to rotate you through that office for a few weeks during your summer. Getting into the firm is the hard part, and mass mailing in NY right now is how you do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:40 am

Did anyone get offers, after doing callbacks this week, from either Simpson or Ropes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 am

Any word from DPW?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Several DPW offers have gone out. They offered me same day, and my buddy within 24 hours of CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Several DPW offers have gone out. They offered me same day, and my buddy within 24 hours of CB
When was your callback? Still waiting for some news either way following my CB on 8/13. I would imagine that speediness of response times can hinge on what day of the week the hiring committee meets.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Anyone hear back from NY CBs over the weekend ? Specifically, Simpson, Ropes and Sidley?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Several DPW offers have gone out. They offered me same day, and my buddy within 24 hours of CB
When was your callback? Still waiting for some news either way following my CB on 8/13. I would imagine that speediness of response times can hinge on what day of the week the hiring committee meets.
Mine was on 8/13 and I got a same day offer

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am

What do people mean when they say "virtual H"?

albinododobird

Bronze

Post by albinododobird » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 am

Goldie wrote:What do people mean when they say "virtual H"?
It's when something about you besides your grades makes you a stronger candidate. Here's what OCS says:

CONSIDERATIONS OTHER THAN GRADES (THE VIRTUAL H)
If you have one or more of the following characteristics, you can add one (1) virtual “H” to your transcript:
  • Relevant work
  • Relevant advanced degrees
  • Geographic ties to the area
  • Diversity
  • Relevant language abilities
  • Strength of your undergraduate institution
  • Relevant course of study as an undergraduate. For example, if you majored in business or economics, you might have a slight edge if you are interested in transactional work. Similarly, those with a background in engineering or one of the hard sciences, may more easily market themselves for intellectual property work.
  • Comfort and experience with conversational professional interviews
Conversely, if you are bidding in regions known to be particularly competitive, such as Washington, DC or California, subtract a virtual “H” from your transcript.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Anyone heard back from Covington DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Any word from KE? CB last Tuesday and nothing yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

So if I interviewed with DPW yesterday afternoon and haven’t heard should I just assume it’s a no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:So if I interviewed with DPW yesterday afternoon and haven’t heard should I just assume it’s a no?
I wouldn't say that. Give it 3-4 days and you should know, however.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:56 am

Anyone heard from W&C? Or know when they'll get back to us roughly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:09 pm

redpikachu wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would it make sense that firms are waiting until Monday morning? Like are the interviewers off for the weekend (in big law?).

Waiting on Skadden and Arnold Porter (both NY).
got both during the weekend.
Via phone, mail, or email thx

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Anyone not heard back from DPW after waiting well over a week? Still waiting following 8/13 CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:18 pm

I had an interview 8/21 with DPW and heard back 8/22. I would follow up if I were you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”