Pre-OCI 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Pre-OCI 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:53 pm

eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is pre-OCI in the DC market? I only plan to bid a small handful of NY firms so not super interested in mass mailing there, but a little worried about DC because I’m doing a 1L SA in a different market so I haven’t been able to attend any firm receptions/network.

Also if I did end up getting an interview, I wouldn’t be able to skip a day of my 1L SA to fly out so am I OK just sticking to OCI or should I really be trying to get something now too?
Pre oci in DC is super important. My old firm in dc only does pre oci and it is not the only firm that fills up its dc class through pre oci. Remember, dc is a small market with the number of summer associates. Classes aren’t huge (outside of a handful of firms). Most of the v100s class sizes in dc range from 1-6ish summers in total. If you aren’t doing pre oci in dc, you are doing it wrong.

Speaking as someone who only got dc offers pre oci and whose former firm literally only does pre oci recruiting now. Literally doesn’t go to a single oci anymore.
How should we do pre OCI if we aren't in DC this summer? Thanks!
The attorneys I've met in DC have all been very open to phone-call networking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is pre-OCI in the DC market? I only plan to bid a small handful of NY firms so not super interested in mass mailing there, but a little worried about DC because I’m doing a 1L SA in a different market so I haven’t been able to attend any firm receptions/network.

Also if I did end up getting an interview, I wouldn’t be able to skip a day of my 1L SA to fly out so am I OK just sticking to OCI or should I really be trying to get something now too?
Pre oci in DC is super important. My old firm in dc only does pre oci and it is not the only firm that fills up its dc class through pre oci. Remember, dc is a small market with the number of summer associates. Classes aren’t huge (outside of a handful of firms). Most of the v100s class sizes in dc range from 1-6ish summers in total. If you aren’t doing pre oci in dc, you are doing it wrong.

Speaking as someone who only got dc offers pre oci and whose former firm literally only does pre oci recruiting now. Literally doesn’t go to a single oci anymore.
So i can get a job in DC pre oci without actually visiting the city? That seems wrong to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So i can get a job in DC pre oci without actually visiting the city? That seems wrong to me.
I am the original DC associate who posted about my old firm. I dont think anyone is saying its likely, but you better start trying if you want to be in DC. I confirmed with a friend of my mine at my old firm that they already have their callback candidates. Callbacks start next week.

If you arent in DC right now, you should be having as many informational phone calls as you possibly can. For the people in DC, you need to be out there pounding the pavement meeting attorneys and networking. Callbacks are happening in DC already.

eightleggedfreaks

New

Post by eightleggedfreaks » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am the original DC associate who posted about my old firm. I dont think anyone is saying its likely, but you better start trying if you want to be in DC. I confirmed with a friend of my mine at my old firm that they already have their callback candidates. Callbacks start next week.

If you arent in DC right now, you should be having as many informational phone calls as you possibly can. For the people in DC, you need to be out there pounding the pavement meeting attorneys and networking. Callbacks are happening in DC already.
So after the informational phone call, would you ask the attorney to pass on your materials? What if they're coming to your OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:57 pm

eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
eightleggedfreaks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So after the informational phone call, would you ask the attorney to pass on your materials? What if they're coming to your OCI?
Fellow rising 2L but I've just applied on firms' websites if they have it listed, and I have an interview scheduled in NYC already, traveling from another city. I'd guess DC is similar on a smaller scale. The firm generally covers your expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Has anyone heard from Paul, Weiss (NYC) post-Callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Same question for Simpson. Anyone heard back after callback in NYC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Paul, Weiss (NYC) post-Callback?
Did you just mass mail for a callback? Or was it through a connection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Paul, Weiss (NYC) post-Callback?
Did you just mass mail for a callback? Or was it through a connection?

Mass mail

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

choiisboy

New

Post by choiisboy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same question for Simpson. Anyone heard back after callback in NYC?
Interviewed with PW and STB last week...did not hear back yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:33 am

Thoughts on including your GPA if your school 1.) doesn't formally calculate it and 2.) doesn't let you put it on your OCI resume?

Also for DPW: is there a person to email, or do you mass-mail to the newlawyer@davispolk.com address? They don't seem to have a NALP page and I've been emailing everyone else's recruiting contacts from NALP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:55 am

choiisboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Same question for Simpson. Anyone heard back after callback in NYC?
Interviewed with PW and STB last week...did not hear back yet
Please report back when you do!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:29 pm

To the person(s) saying DC Pre-OCI is essential: I don’t want to do Pre OCI with firms coming to my school since (1) I want to have a good relationship with career services past EIP (2) my current job almost certainly won’t give me time to do callbacks (outside of my non-DC market) and (3) I’m top 10% at HYS, so I imagine I’ll still be competitive at any of the firms with big classes if I wait for OCI. Is my current position reasonable or do I need to start mass mailing ASAP?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flarmanarnar

New

Post by Flarmanarnar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the person(s) saying DC Pre-OCI is essential: I don’t want to do Pre OCI with firms coming to my school since (1) I want to have a good relationship with career services past EIP (2) my current job almost certainly won’t give me time to do callbacks (outside of my non-DC market) and (3) I’m top 10% at HYS, so I imagine I’ll still be competitive at any of the firms with big classes if I wait for OCI. Is my current position reasonable or do I need to start mass mailing ASAP?
I don't even understand what your question/point is - you clearly don't want to do pre-OCI and claim you "can't" make time for callbacks. Based on your current position you will most likely be fine, especially at top 10% from HYS. I wouldn't worry about it if I were in your shoes. Also, you don't seem to want to be told to do pre-OCI, so don't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the person(s) saying DC Pre-OCI is essential: I don’t want to do Pre OCI with firms coming to my school since (1) I want to have a good relationship with career services past EIP (2) my current job almost certainly won’t give me time to do callbacks (outside of my non-DC market) and (3) I’m top 10% at HYS, so I imagine I’ll still be competitive at any of the firms with big classes if I wait for OCI. Is my current position reasonable or do I need to start mass mailing ASAP?
You will be fine. Just practice interview.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm

With top 10% at HYS you basically just write an email that amounts to politer version of:

Yo, I got top 10% at HYS. Can I get an interview?

And you'll get it. (unless firm thinks there is no chance you actually accept their offer or they really have no space)

Also, I did everything in the book that should piss career services off (reneging on offers, doing pre-OCI, and just generally being a PITA trying to get non-legal employment) and nothing bad happened. I doubt your school's career services will do anything. They want to stay in contact with people with jobs.

To answer your question directly.

Do pre-OCI. Even with top 10% at HYS, you're competing with 100+ top 10% at HYS. You don't want that dream position taken by another top 10% HYS during pre-OCI. There really is no reason to not do pre-OCI other than sheer laziness or already have your No. 1 firm locked up.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Any more pre-OCI movement?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

britdude87

New

Post by britdude87 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Any STB movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Haven’t heard back from STB yet. Know of many who have interviewed with Simpson, but don’t think any of them have gotten a response. Wondering what the recruiters are thinking.

hengha12

New

Post by hengha12 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 pm

DPW giving offers. Have not heard from STB.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:01 am

Weil offers out as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 am

STB has an offer dinner in a few days so I assume enough offers have gone out.

RVG

New

Post by RVG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am

Which NYC firms are not doing pre-OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 am

Got an offer from either Fenwick/Cooley/WSGR in Silicon Valley

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am