Pre-OCI 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Pre-OCI 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Can confirm Weil and STB have sent out tons of pre-oci cbs in my lower T14.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Just FYI - there are excellent threads here on mass mailing and pre-OCI. It’s a mistake to wait.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Heard Weil wants to fill up 2/3 or so of their class pre OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:19 pm

How important is pre-OCI in the DC market? I only plan to bid a small handful of NY firms so not super interested in mass mailing there, but a little worried about DC because I’m doing a 1L SA in a different market so I haven’t been able to attend any firm receptions/network.

Also if I did end up getting an interview, I wouldn’t be able to skip a day of my 1L SA to fly out so am I OK just sticking to OCI or should I really be trying to get something now too?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heard Weil wants to fill up 2/3 or so of their class pre OCI.
What's your source on this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heard Weil wants to fill up 2/3 or so of their class pre OCI.
What's your source on this?
Heard it through the grapevine. I don't have a citation handy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Has anyone gotten an offer yet from Weil NY? And if you have, how long after CB did you get the offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How important is pre-OCI in the DC market? I only plan to bid a small handful of NY firms so not super interested in mass mailing there, but a little worried about DC because I’m doing a 1L SA in a different market so I haven’t been able to attend any firm receptions/network.

Also if I did end up getting an interview, I wouldn’t be able to skip a day of my 1L SA to fly out so am I OK just sticking to OCI or should I really be trying to get something now too?
Pre oci in DC is super important. My old firm in dc only does pre oci and it is not the only firm that fills up its dc class through pre oci. Remember, dc is a small market with the number of summer associates. Classes aren’t huge (outside of a handful of firms). Most of the v100s class sizes in dc range from 1-6ish summers in total. If you aren’t doing pre oci in dc, you are doing it wrong.

Speaking as someone who only got dc offers pre oci and whose former firm literally only does pre oci recruiting now. Literally doesn’t go to a single oci anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer yet from Weil NY? And if you have, how long after CB did you get the offer?
no offer in hand, but i've heard a decision should be made within a few business days

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Question: What is the general timeline of the pre-oci screener/callback process? I have a 1L SA spot right now (although outside of my target market), and potentially interested in returning (so I don't want to burn any bridges). I can't imagine it would go over well to be like "hey I'm going to take a Friday off to go to [target market state] for uhhh an interview" before I officially get an offer to come back for 2L summer. Should I just wait for OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten an offer yet from Weil NY? And if you have, how long after CB did you get the offer?
Some of my rising 2L friends got offers from Weil NY. The turnaround time is like 2 business days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Some of my rising 2L friends got offers from Weil NY. The turnaround time is like 2 business days.
Thanks for this info!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
School / stats?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Anyone who had a Weil NY CB this week heard back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone who had a Weil NY CB this week heard back?
Had one Tuesday afternoon, haven't heard back

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm

I got an email yesterday inviting me to a callback from an Associate that I've had a good amount of contact with, and was told that the recruiting director would follow up to schedule the callback. So far recruiting hasn't contacted me yet, and while it has only been a little over a day I was curious about when it would be appropriate to reach out to schedule?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 pm

Does anybody know which Dallas firms do strong pre-OCI?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Had one Tuesday afternoon, haven't heard back
Same for wednesday. I'm curious if they're going in batches.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:21 pm

I've heard of some people who have gotten offers from early in the week CBs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How many days did that take?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How many days did that take?
about 2 business days

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:47 pm

Also would like to know the answer to this. Seems like Pre-OCI is only for people with good grades? How about below median at T7-14?
Anonymous User wrote:
icansortofmath wrote:A 3L just told me to email all the firms I was interested in to save on bid slots. I had a 1L SA position and finished 1L between 10 and 20% at a lower T14 and I ended up with pre OCI screeners with a lot of firms I emailed. A lot of other firms said they’ll squeeze me in somewhere if I didn’t get on OCI schedule and I did end up with some off schedule interviews during OCI.

Basically bottom line is there is no point trying to figure out which firms are most active pre-OCI. Just email them all.

Based on what I heard during my own 1L summer, I think people with high grades did well pre-OCI and medianish students didn’t get a lot of responses. But who cares about that. Even one free interview out of 100 emails would be worth it.

Don’t listen to career services trying to discourage you from contacting firms pre-OCI. They have a vested interest in keeping OCI relevant.
I'm between a rock and a hard place between this and the post above mine.

I have a 3.2x from a lower T13 and want to target NY corporate. Career services, whom I don't trust, is highly discouraging pre-OCI by saying you're better off at least getting a bite at the apple in the form of an OCI interview rather than being preemptively rejected. I also know firms have been encouraging everyone possible to apply pre OCI and saying they're committed to using it more because OCI is a logistical nightmare. I also know slight above medians getting pre OCI interviews at top firms.

Is it foolish to worry about getting a "thanks but no thanks and don't apply again" letter from firms once they see my GPA which, in my mind, I could compensate for with interview skills at OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also would like to know the answer to this. Seems like Pre-OCI is only for people with good grades? How about below median at T7-14?
Anonymous User wrote:
icansortofmath wrote:A 3L just told me to email all the firms I was interested in to save on bid slots. I had a 1L SA position and finished 1L between 10 and 20% at a lower T14 and I ended up with pre OCI screeners with a lot of firms I emailed. A lot of other firms said they’ll squeeze me in somewhere if I didn’t get on OCI schedule and I did end up with some off schedule interviews during OCI.

Basically bottom line is there is no point trying to figure out which firms are most active pre-OCI. Just email them all.

Based on what I heard during my own 1L summer, I think people with high grades did well pre-OCI and medianish students didn’t get a lot of responses. But who cares about that. Even one free interview out of 100 emails would be worth it.

Don’t listen to career services trying to discourage you from contacting firms pre-OCI. They have a vested interest in keeping OCI relevant.
I'm between a rock and a hard place between this and the post above mine.

I have a 3.2x from a lower T13 and want to target NY corporate. Career services, whom I don't trust, is highly discouraging pre-OCI by saying you're better off at least getting a bite at the apple in the form of an OCI interview rather than being preemptively rejected. I also know firms have been encouraging everyone possible to apply pre OCI and saying they're committed to using it more because OCI is a logistical nightmare. I also know slight above medians getting pre OCI interviews at top firms.

Is it foolish to worry about getting a "thanks but no thanks and don't apply again" letter from firms once they see my GPA which, in my mind, I could compensate for with interview skills at OCI?
From my experience last year, if the firm is coming to your school's OCI and your GPA is not prohibitively low, you will at least get an email saying bid to that firm and contact them again if you don't get an interview spot. That's how I could grab a few interviews during OCI though I didn't win the lottery.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Any offer movement from Weil NY at the end of this past week?

eightleggedfreaks

New

Post by eightleggedfreaks » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How important is pre-OCI in the DC market? I only plan to bid a small handful of NY firms so not super interested in mass mailing there, but a little worried about DC because I’m doing a 1L SA in a different market so I haven’t been able to attend any firm receptions/network.

Pre oci in DC is super important. My old firm in dc only does pre oci and it is not the only firm that fills up its dc class through pre oci. Remember, dc is a small market with the number of summer associates. Classes aren’t huge (outside of a handful of firms). Most of the v100s class sizes in dc range from 1-6ish summers in total. If you aren’t doing pre oci in dc, you are doing it wrong.

Speaking as someone who only got dc offers pre oci and whose former firm literally only does pre oci recruiting now. Literally doesn’t go to a single oci anymore.
How should we do pre OCI if we aren't in DC this summer? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”