suggesting part-time

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

suggesting part-time

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:39 am

So I interviewed for a job and was ultimately dinged. The partner told me that they really liked me but ultimately decided to go with someone else. It is a small firm. I get the impression that the other candidate simply just out-credentialed me (I just graduated, I assume he/she is an attorney). The thing is that I really liked this firm and the work that they do. Would it be cringey for me to suggest part-time work? I would just help with legal research and writing - at least until I get admitted in February. By part-time work, I mean less pay, and I am willing to take that if it means I can potentially get a permanent offer later on. Is this something I could suggest?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: suggesting part-time

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Definitely do not do this.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Postby icansortofmath » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Don’t do it. Worst outcome is actually they say yes.

Most I’d do is you really like the firm and work they do, what kind of work can you do for the next 2-3 years to make yourself an even stronger candidate for the firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:43 pm

op. thanks. do you guys mind explaining why? i really am jobless, am in the middle of bar study, and thought this would be something to consider.

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Presumably if they wanted someone to do part-time work they'd have advertised for someone to do part-time work, or they'd have brought it up with you. Their hiring is going to be governed by their needs, not yours. Why do you think this is something they'd be interested in? Do they have a stable of part-time attorneys or something?

Return to “Legal Employment?