Please Help. How do I get a job with an NY license while living in Northern Virginia with my family? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ohnt

New

Please Help. How do I get a job with an NY license while living in Northern Virginia with my family?

Post by Ohnt » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:20 am

Urgent help needed please! I’m counting on you guys.

Hi everyone!

I live in Northern Virginia. I’m a foreign-educated attorney as well as New York barred. I’m unfortunately unable to waive in to any other state within the next 5/6 years but I would need a job to survive until then :).
I can’t waive into:
-Virginia because I need a JD (I already have an LLB).
-DC because I need to do an LLM before I would have that option (I would like to work for a few years before I pursue an LLM).
I have 3 babies and would love to be able to support them and to save some money while I plan to do the llm.

What are my best options? Any one who can give me some perspectives, please?

Thank you all so much in advance.

DCESQ

New

Re: Please Help. How do I get a job with an NY license while living in Northern Virginia with my family?

Post by DCESQ » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 pm

You can work for the federal government as long as you’re barred in any state or Puerto Rico. I would start there. Some in-house jobs don’t care where you’re barred, but I don’t think that is the norm. Good luck!

Lancair

New

Re: Please Help. How do I get a job with an NY license while living in Northern Virginia with my family?

Post by Lancair » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Some threshold questions which will impact the best direction for you to take:

What jurisdiction did you qualify in, and what legal experience did you have before coming to the US?

Are you a US citizen/permanent resident?

If you have relevant experience, you might be able to sell yourself to a firm who would support you to get an LLM and take the DC bar. Likewise, if you a citizen/permanent resident. you should be able to get student loans to get a cheap LLM so you can at least get barred in DC. Otherwise, you might want to look at jobs which don't require bar admission: paralegal jobs, policy/JD-advantage, locally-employed embassy jobs etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 am

DCESQ wrote:You can work for the federal government as long as you’re barred in any state or Puerto Rico. I would start there. Some in-house jobs don’t care where you’re barred, but I don’t think that is the norm. Good luck!
Thanks!

Ohnt

New

Post by Ohnt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:43 am

Lancair wrote:Some threshold questions which will impact the best direction for you to take:

What jurisdiction did you qualify in, and what legal experience did you have before coming to the US?

Are you a US citizen/permanent resident?

If you have relevant experience, you might be able to sell yourself to a firm who would support you to get an LLM and take the DC bar. Likewise, if you a citizen/permanent resident. you should be able to get student loans to get a cheap LLM so you can at least get barred in DC. Otherwise, you might want to look at jobs which don't require bar admission: paralegal jobs, policy/JD-advantage, locally-employed embassy jobs etc.
New York licensed.
I’m a permanent resident.
I would have liked to do the llm later not a quick cheap one just for the sake of waiving into another state.
I like the idea of a firm supporting me to do an llm. :D
No way I’m going to work as a paralegal. :lol:
This didn’t come on a silver platter for me.

Thanks for your input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lancair

New

Post by Lancair » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:16 am

Ohnt wrote:
New York licensed.
I’m a permanent resident.
I would have liked to do the llm later not a quick cheap one just for the sake of waiving into another state.
I like the idea of a firm supporting me to do an llm. :D
No way I’m going to work as a paralegal. :lol:
This didn’t come on a silver platter for me.

Thanks for your input.
Which country did you do your law degree in, and did you have any experience practicing there before you came to the US?

Ohnt

New

Post by Ohnt » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 pm

I ask this in the light of the rules of professional conduct that govern law practice, in DC for instance (rule 49
- unauthorized practice).

Is in house my only option? I had initially thought I could do a firm in dc with my NY license and work in their corporate department but I guess not.

More views welcome please.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DCESQ wrote:You can work for the federal government as long as you’re barred in any state or Puerto Rico. I would start there. Some in-house jobs don’t care where you’re barred, but I don’t think that is the norm. Good luck!
Thanks!
For fed employment, I believe the vast majority, if not all, require citizenship. Are you native in a foreign language? There’s always doc review or law-advantage work such as corporate intelligence or due diligence firms.

Ohnt

New

Post by Ohnt » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks!
For fed employment, I believe the vast majority, if not all, require citizenship. Are you native in a foreign language? There’s always doc review or law-advantage work such as corporate intelligence or due diligence firms.

Exactly! Which is why I’v stopped focusing on federal jobs. I’m not a citizen.

I need 26 credit hours from an ABA accredited law sch to waive into DC bar. I’m wondering if they offer classes solely for this purpose. I highly doubt it. I probably should call them though to find out if my most viable option would be pursuing either a JD or an LLM.

Otherwise, I need an in-house counsel job. And those are few and far between for 1st year attorneys. What to do, what to do. :(

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Ohnt wrote:I need 26 credit hours from an ABA accredited law sch to waive into DC bar. I’m wondering if they offer classes solely for this purpose. I highly doubt it. I probably should call them though to find out if my most viable option would be pursuing either a JD or an LLM.
If you're looking to take 26 credit hours anyway, you might as well get an LL.M. instead of registering as a non-degree student. Having a U.S. law degree can only help - at a minimum, the degree would be a nice line item to add to the resume. LL.M.s require about that number of hours (I think a minimum requirement of 2 semesters/24 credit hours is typical), so you wouldn't really be doing any extra work or even spending any extra time in school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”