Big Law for a few years? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law for a few years?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm looking for some experiences with doing big law for "just a few years" before transitioning to a different type of career. I am in range to get a summer at a ~V10-V50 (locally, in TX) at upcoming OCI. My ideal life plan would be to be an associate for a few years (3-5) to get ahead financially, then pursue public interest long-term for the work-life balance and to align better with my passions. While this sounds peachy, I am sure there are things to consider that would make it more or less of a reality.

Relevant personal factors: raised middle-class (single parent w/ teacher salary) so there would be no permanent lifestyle change in pursuing public interest. Will have approx. $120-140k in fed student loans. I have a partner, so dual income is expected, with the partner's being around $60k. Want kids.

Another note: comments fueled by general adversity to big law or to public interest won't provide much insight. Anecdotal experiences will be most helpful.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: Big Law for a few years?

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm

It’s extremely common to do biglaw litigation for a few years and then transition to government or nonprofit work. If you can, try to go to a firm that doesn’t have a cap on the amount of pro bono work that counts toward your bonus calculation and (even better if possible) offers pro bono rotations. For example, a number of firms have programs where you go do legal aid type work for 6 months while being paid a biglaw salary. Not sure how common any of this is in Texas though.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:16 pm

I don't see why you couldn't do this. Seems like a lot of biglaw lawyers eventually leave to go work at non-profits/ public interest organizations.

I'd say the only things that might hold you back are you finding out you love the high salary of biglaw and can't let it go, i.e. golden handcuffs, or the public interest orgs saying they'd rather have someone who's been in public interest the whole time and didn't sell their soul to biglaw (but I'd think only snooty orgs would be like this).

bobbyflayed

Bronze

Post by bobbyflayed » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:52 pm

I would say this is pretty easy. I spent 2 full years in big law and transitioned into an in-house M&A role that paid first year market. I'm now moving into a GC role that pays 3rd year market after 1 year. Just need to network.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:48 pm

What you describe is really pretty common and arguably pretty ideal. For example, I know a guy with a great res who fedclerked, top biglaw firm in lit for 2 years, now he’s a bottom-level line ada which constitutes a very significant salary hit. That said, he planned for it and made some good moves and he’ll be a strong competitor for top us Attorney’s offices in a couple years (if not sooner). And this just constitutes a very strong resume-ed and goal-target (ausa) example of what you’re describing, but there are a number of potential paths.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”