Fired summer associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dabigchina

Gold

Re: Fired summer associate

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Guys, let's not try to out the OP. career services is def the right call here. As for salvaging your career, the economy is good and you should hit the pavement for 3l oci. Biglaw might be out, but you can probably get something legal or jd advantage, even if it's not something you would have considered otherwise.

You should probably leave out you 3 week stint on your resume.

rowingmyboat

New

Post by rowingmyboat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:20 pm

In addition to the advice about career services, maybe reach out to small solo practitioners to see if they'd mind you shadowing them/helping out for the rest of the summer. You really need something on your resume this summer or else that will be a red flag to employers for a long, long time.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:58 pm

dabigchina wrote:Guys, let's not try to out the OP.
I agree, but this is eventually going to hit ATL and at least partially out the OP.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Guys, let's not try to out the OP.
I agree, but this is eventually going to hit ATL and at least partially out the OP.
ok, but let's not do ATL's legwork for them.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Why everyone assume he made a slur or sexually harassed when he could’ve done something else? Like bring hard drugs to work

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I think bringing hard drugs out at a social firm event or perhaps even bringing those hard drugs out after hours, at a bar, in the bathroom, when young associates were around are possibilities. I know the latter happened to someone in a non major market. But I also think that this person already would have outed themselves to the rest of their summer class by this post alone, so this could be flame

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:22 pm

I mean it could be something as “innocent” as sleeping with a partner... who’s married to another partner.

Just trying to imagine a situation where everyone involved wants to keep it on the down low.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:Why everyone assume he made a slur or sexually harassed when he could’ve done something else? Like bring hard drugs to work
I only put those out as possibilities of reasons for immediate termination which wouldn’t be criminal offenses. I was thinking of hard and fast code of conduct rules..

Didn’t mean to accuse OP of any specific offense.

impactplayer

New

Post by impactplayer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:44 pm

My favorite fired summer associate story was a guy who accepted two clerkships with two firms in the same building. The guy would go to firm #1, take off his jacket and put it on the back of his chair. His screensaver was a picture of his desktop with outlook open. Then he would go to firm #2, pull out a jacket from his drawer and put it on the back of that chair. Do a little work for 20-30 min, activate outlook screensaver and then go back to firm #1. Rinse and repeat all day long. The guy pulled it off for a few weeks until partner at one of the firms can't get a hold of him and goes into his office to see if he received any of the many emails the partner had been sending the guy. Partner moves the dude's mouse, screensaver disappears and it's just an empty desktop. Partner gets suspicious and decides to wait around for the guy to come back to his office. He ends up waiting a couple of hours until the summer gets back and asks him where the hell he's been. Summer was caught completely off guard and didn't have a good answer, so he fessed up to the whole thing. Ended up getting fired from both firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:47 pm

impactplayer wrote:My favorite fired summer associate story was a guy who accepted two clerkships with two firms in the same building. The guy would go to firm #1, take off his jacket and put it on the back of his chair. His screensaver was a picture of his desktop with outlook open. Then he would go to firm #2, pull out a jacket from his drawer and put it on the back of that chair. Do a little work for 20-30 min, activate outlook screensaver and then go back to firm #1. Rinse and repeat all day long. The guy pulled it off for a few weeks until partner at one of the firms can't get a hold of him and goes into his office to see if he received any of the many emails the partner had been sending the guy. Partner moves the dude's mouse, screensaver disappears and it's just an empty desktop. Partner gets suspicious and decides to wait around for the guy to come back to his office. He ends up waiting a couple of hours until the summer gets back and asks him where the hell he's been. Summer was caught completely off guard and didn't have a good answer, so he fessed up to the whole thing. Ended up getting fired from both firms.
Most unbelievable part of the story is that the partner waited for hours in the office.

impactplayer

New

Post by impactplayer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:52 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
impactplayer wrote:My favorite fired summer associate story was a guy who accepted two clerkships with two firms in the same building. The guy would go to firm #1, take off his jacket and put it on the back of his chair. His screensaver was a picture of his desktop with outlook open. Then he would go to firm #2, pull out a jacket from his drawer and put it on the back of that chair. Do a little work for 20-30 min, activate outlook screensaver and then go back to firm #1. Rinse and repeat all day long. The guy pulled it off for a few weeks until partner at one of the firms can't get a hold of him and goes into his office to see if he received any of the many emails the partner had been sending the guy. Partner moves the dude's mouse, screensaver disappears and it's just an empty desktop. Partner gets suspicious and decides to wait around for the guy to come back to his office. He ends up waiting a couple of hours until the summer gets back and asks him where the hell he's been. Summer was caught completely off guard and didn't have a good answer, so he fessed up to the whole thing. Ended up getting fired from both firms.
Most unbelievable part of the story is that the partner waited for hours in the office.
Yeah, that part is probably bullshit. But good story nonetheless. You could imagine someone pulling this off 12-15 years ago which is when I heard about it.

inter-associate

New

Post by inter-associate » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

impactplayer wrote:Yeah, that part is probably bullshit. But good story nonetheless. You could imagine someone pulling this off 12-15 years ago which is when I heard about it.
Almost easier to pull off today - just bring your laptop to the second firm and hello $7200 a week...

impactplayer

New

Post by impactplayer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 pm

inter-associate wrote:
impactplayer wrote:Yeah, that part is probably bullshit. But good story nonetheless. You could imagine someone pulling this off 12-15 years ago which is when I heard about it.
Almost easier to pull off today - just bring your laptop to the second firm and hello $7200 a week...
Haha, fair point. And with firm email on your phone, you'd never get caught out of pocket for very long.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:31 pm

icansortofmath wrote:I mean it could be something as “innocent” as sleeping with a partner... who’s married to another partner.

Just trying to imagine a situation where everyone involved wants to keep it on the down low.
How much jerry or world star is everyone watching?

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm

I ain’t got no time for TV.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Try your best to get something for the remainder of this summer. Reach out to career services and ask if anyone is looking for interns, even unpaid positions. Having a gap on your resume for your 2L summer will not be good. If the economy stays hot, you will have a chance of getting big law as a 3L or post-grad (like I did), but you can't have a gap on your resume. Employers will get suspicious.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try your best to get something for the remainder of this summer. Reach out to career services and ask if anyone is looking for interns, even unpaid positions. Having a gap on your resume for your 2L summer will not be good. If the economy stays hot, you will have a chance of getting big law as a 3L or post-grad (like I did), but you can't have a gap on your resume. Employers will get suspicious.
This is the best advice. Do something positive to improve your current situation and help prepare for the future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Npret wrote:
Getting drunk and dropping a slur would do it as would any type of harassment of another attorney.
Yeah, that or an ethics issue around client confidentiality. Maybe they traded on an upcoming deal? Or mentioned a deal they're working on to a classmate who happens to be summering at a firm on the other side? If not harassment related, those would be my call.

Either way, I think the only fortunate thing is this happening early. OP still has time to summer somewhere, though likely not at a firm. Career services are going to be important - I hope they're competent at OPs school.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:47 am

What's the outing risk of OP describing what he did? Either (a) people at the firm know what he did, and therefore the only people who could connect the act to OP already know that he was fired, or (b) his ex-workers know he got fired but not why, and rightfully assumed the worst. The only information being revealed is his ex-coworkers knowing he's asking for career advice, which seems like it would actually boost his reputation, if only because it's something else to know about him besides being the guy who managed to get fired in two weeks.

If you want the cold truth, OP, yeah, your Biglaw career is probably over before it began. Actually getting fired usually takes a pretty colossal fuckup. The reason I ask is wondering whether your side of the story might actually be sympathetic when you would inevitably be asked about it, but, seeing as how you raised no objections, it sounds like you aren't disputing their interpretation. Sorry man; best of luck in whatever comes next.

really12

New

Post by really12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 am

The sympathy for OP in this thread is odd. I have only heard of associates getting no offered like this (in the middle of the program) for sexual harassment and/or being racist/making racist comments. I'm sure its possible something less offensive occurred, but if it did OP should be responsible for saying so, it's odd to assume this was a simple mistake on OP's part and offer help and condolences. We all know how hard it is to get no offered in general, and getting fired in the middle of the program only happens when someone seriously messes up. If OP was fired for sexual harassment, racism, or other serious issue (which is the most likely case) then I hope they take this moment as a time to understand the issues they have going on and change for the better, but in my honest opinion, it's good they were fired and they shouldn't be in the legal profession until they work out their issues.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:33 am

really12 wrote:The sympathy for OP in this thread is odd.
Maybe these posters have a greater capacity for empathy than you do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

really12

New

Post by really12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:43 am

abiglawyer wrote:
I'm sure they do, but empathy isn't a good excuse for naivete.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am

really12 wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:
None of the advice I’ve seen strikes me as particularly naive. On the contrary, I think people have been sober and forthright about OP’s chances. But they haven’t been cruel and punitive enough for you, I suppose.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:02 am

Are we still assuming this is real?

I have a hard time believing that this story would be contained to TLS for this long.

really12

New

Post by really12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:05 am

abiglawyer wrote:
really12 wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:
None of the advice I’ve seen strikes me as particularly naive. On the contrary, I think people have been sober and forthright about OP’s chances. But they haven’t been cruel and punitive enough for you, I suppose.
The advice is not naive in the terms of how to get a job in the situation. The advice is naive because it assumes that OP is someone we want to get another similar job in the situation. OP was just fired for what was most likely a serious violation, the type of which generally society would deem should invalidate that individual from being in a position of power or prestige.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”