Fired summer associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abiglawyer

New

Re: Fired summer associate

Post by abiglawyer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:07 pm

ghostoftraynor wrote:I'm a little disappointed. With all the logical reasoning in the LSAT, you'd expect folks to be familiar with Occam's razor. What is more likely? A summer was stupid enough to grope someone midday at lunch OR DPW HR knew the Vault rankings were coming out and concocted this whole thing to overshadow their fall from grace?

I know which one I'm going to believe.
Famous burden of proof Occam’s razor. When I’m making a momentous decision, like whether to ruin someone’s life, I never learn all the facts. I just take the initial report and then intuit the right answer like I’m squinting at a magic eye puzzle.

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:24 pm

abiglawyer wrote:
ghostoftraynor wrote:I'm a little disappointed. With all the logical reasoning in the LSAT, you'd expect folks to be familiar with Occam's razor. What is more likely? A summer was stupid enough to grope someone midday at lunch OR DPW HR knew the Vault rankings were coming out and concocted this whole thing to overshadow their fall from grace?

I know which one I'm going to believe.
Famous burden of proof Occam’s razor. When I’m making a momentous decision, like whether to ruin someone’s life, I never learn all the facts. I just take the initial report and then intuit the right answer like I’m squinting at a magic eye puzzle.
This is a good point re: recommending DPW to someone, there’s just no recovering from that prestige hit.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:29 pm

abiglawyer wrote:
nixy wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:
nixy wrote:Um, what? Why are we rushing to assume there’s some justification for running your hands up a woman’s leg at a work lunch? The switching seats with the woman (and GETTING FIRED) all point to this being non-consensual. I cannot for the life of me imagine someone getting fired for the “impropriety” of running their hands up their girlfriend’s leg.
Ah, well, if you can’t imagine it, then I guess the issue is settled. On the strength of your conviction, let’s go ahead and ruin his life.

It’s not like we’re all lawyers, after all, in which case we would have had formal training in the difficulty of proving issues of fact and intent.
Thank you for snarky response. So you have actual concrete examples of people being fired for consensual PDA?
Yes, I remember Evidence class, where we learned that to disprove a prosecutor’s argument one must give concrete examples of an opposite scenario.

Have you ever heard that description of reading caselaw as stirring concrete with your eyelashes? That’s what trying to have an argument with you is like. That or catching the wind in a sieve.
This would be pertinent if we were talking about criminal charges, but we’re not.

Premises:
- SA ran his hands up a woman’s leg and got fired.
- Non-consensual sexual contact is a reasonable basis for firing an SA.

Unless you can demonstrate there’s also some kind of practice of firing SAs for consensual PDA (...under a table), isn’t the most logical conclusion that it was non-consensual?

Now obviously if other facts applied we could reach other conclusions. I have no idea if the leg-fondling is true, but if that is what happened I don’t think it’s “ruining someone’s life” to understand it as non-consensual.

(I’m not enjoying this argument either, believe me.)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

abiglawyer wrote:
nixy wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:
nixy wrote:Um, what? Why are we rushing to assume there’s some justification for running your hands up a woman’s leg at a work lunch? The switching seats with the woman (and GETTING FIRED) all point to this being non-consensual. I cannot for the life of me imagine someone getting fired for the “impropriety” of running their hands up their girlfriend’s leg.
Ah, well, if you can’t imagine it, then I guess the issue is settled. On the strength of your conviction, let’s go ahead and ruin his life.

It’s not like we’re all lawyers, after all, in which case we would have had formal training in the difficulty of proving issues of fact and intent.
Thank you for snarky response. So you have actual concrete examples of people being fired for consensual PDA?
Yes, I remember Evidence class, where we learned that to disprove a prosecutor’s argument one must give concrete examples of an opposite scenario.
Since you remember Evidence class, perhaps you also remember the part about the Evidence rules only applying in courts of law.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:34 pm

nixy wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:
nixy wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:

Have you ever heard that description of reading caselaw as stirring concrete with your eyelashes? That’s what trying to have an argument with you is like. That or catching the wind in a sieve.
This would be pertinent if we were talking about criminal charges, but we’re not.

Premises:
- SA ran his hands up a woman’s leg and got fired.
- Non-consensual sexual contact is a reasonable basis for firing an SA.

Unless you can demonstrate there’s also some kind of practice of firing SAs for consensual PDA (...under a table), isn’t the most logical conclusion that it was non-consensual?

Now obviously if other facts applied we could reach other conclusions. I have no idea if the leg-fondling is true, but if that is what happened I don’t think it’s “ruining someone’s life” to understand it as non-consensual.

(I’m not enjoying this argument either, believe me.)
I’m not doing this with you because it’s boring and you’re not very smart, sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Wow. We went from
abiglawyer wrote:That said, many people in this thread seem to have never had an organic moment of passion in their lives, or at least argue like they haven’t, which is sad.
to
abiglawyer wrote:Do we know the two were not in a relationship, and that the issue was just the impropriety of PDA at a firm event?
in a fucking heartbeat, huh?

Not that I'm surprised, but self-awareness is a rarity these days.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Lol, that’s a convincing retreat, abiglawyer.

If you’re operating on the assumption that we’re currently in an atmosphere where any accusation of impropriety is going to get someone fired no matter how innocent it was, then maybe make that explicit. Like if you don’t trust the accusation, just say so. Coming up with some kind of convoluted “but but maybe it was someone he was in a relationship with!!” is frankly much less convincing than saying “I don’t believe this is what happened.”

I am happy to open this up to other biglawyers. Is it reasonable to think that an SA would get fired for consensual leg-fondling under a table during lunch? And that the fondle-ee switched seats for some unrelated reason?

Again, if you don’t trust the account of what happened, that’s fine. Just assuming that what was described is what happened, though.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:50 pm

nixy wrote:I am happy to open this up to other biglawyers. Is it reasonable to think that an SA would get fired for consensual leg-fondling under a table during lunch? And that the fondle-ee switched seats for some unrelated reason?
The second - the "fondle-ee" switching seats - yes, sure, I can easily see an innocent explanation. E.g., BF's feeling frisky, GF's not feeling it, and GF moves away to avoid BF's wandering hands. Or maybe BF and GF had a big fight earlier, and BF is now teasing GF/testing the waters, but GF's still steamed and not having it.

But the first, no, not at all. I can't see any summer being fired for stroking his GF's leg under the table during lunch (unless the stroking was seriously R-rated).
cavalier1138 wrote:Wow. We went from
abiglawyer wrote:That said, many people in this thread seem to have never had an organic moment of passion in their lives, or at least argue like they haven’t, which is sad.
to
abiglawyer wrote:Do we know the two were not in a relationship, and that the issue was just the impropriety of PDA at a firm event?

cav, you realize abiglawyer's a lawyer, and applying the FRE on TLS and arguing in the alternative are things big lawyers do, right?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53 pm

QContinuum wrote:
nixy wrote:I am happy to open this up to other biglawyers. Is it reasonable to think that an SA would get fired for consensual leg-fondling under a table during lunch? And that the fondle-ee switched seats for some unrelated reason?
The second - the "fondle-ee" switching seats - yes, sure, I can easily see an innocent explanation. E.g., BF's feeling frisky, GF's not feeling it, and GF moves away to avoid BF's wandering hands. Or maybe BF and GF had a big fight earlier, and BF is now teasing GF/testing the waters, but GF's still steamed and not having it.

But the first, no, not at all. I can't see any summer being fired for stroking his GF's leg under the table during lunch (unless the stroking was seriously R-rated).
Fair. I lean to the sinister explanation in the context of the firing (also assuming like a restaurant or something where switching seats would take some effort, which of course isn’t necessarily the case), but that makes sense. (But if so, seriously, people, learn some judgment.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Granted, I was a summer before the metoo era so maybe my perception is skewed but I feel like a hand on leg situation as described would actually get you merely no-offered UNLESS the gropee complained/the person who saw it was a powerful partner that felt strongly about firing the summer.

The bar to get fired as a summer is REALLY high. I’ve heard of some pretty egregious things that just resulted in a no offer, not a firing. But maybe things have changed.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:19 pm

QContinuum wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Wow. We went from
to

cav, you realize abiglawyer's a lawyer, and applying the FRE on TLS and arguing in the alternative are things big lawyers do, right?
If that's what I thought was going on, sure. But this is pretty blatant "It's just so hard to understand what's acceptable these days!" when looking at a completely obvious situation. It's not argument in the alternative so much as argument in the oh-shit-it-turns-out-this-was-creepy.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:28 pm

Those two quotes aren’t inconsistent at all. The first one is about dancing, generally, and not at work events, which Halp seems to think requires loud consent before hands move to hips, which is sterile and absurd. The second was in response to the report of the hand on the leg, which came later.

I think it’s likely the summer associate did something wrong. My point is that, because we cannot say this for sure, it is unethical to assist ATL in spreading details of the firing.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:30 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Granted, I was a summer before the metoo era so maybe my perception is skewed but I feel like a hand on leg situation as described would actually get you merely no-offered UNLESS the gropee complained/the person who saw it was a powerful partner that felt strongly about firing the summer.

The bar to get fired as a summer is REALLY high. I’ve heard of some pretty egregious things that just resulted in a no offer, not a firing. But maybe things have changed.
Yeah, that’s why I incline toward thinking something pretty bad happened. Obviously I can’t say for certain what it was, and I could still be wrong.

(Also abiglawyer I think you’re reading Halp as contentiously as possible.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:39 pm

If the harassed associate makes a big deal out of whatever the incident was, no firm is going to go out of its way to protect the accused summer even if a reasonable person would find the incident to be minor.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:54 pm

icansortofmath wrote:If the harassed associate makes a big deal out of whatever the incident was, no firm is going to go out of its way to protect the accused summer even if a reasonable person would find the incident to be minor.
Yeah exactly. As soon as there’s a complaint it’s done. But if there’s no complaint a firm can pretend ignorance and just no offer. Predictably, a summer would be reluctant to make an actual complaint which is why it’s rare.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
icansortofmath wrote:If the harassed associate makes a big deal out of whatever the incident was, no firm is going to go out of its way to protect the accused summer even if a reasonable person would find the incident to be minor.
Yeah exactly. As soon as there’s a complaint it’s done. But if there’s no complaint a firm can pretend ignorance and just no offer. Predictably, a summer would be reluctant to make an actual complaint which is why it’s rare.
Generally summers are nervous about getting that offer even at 100%-offer firms, so I can't imagine a summer filing a formal complaint with HR bar seriously egregious wrongdoing (and maybe not even then).

Women (men too; it just happens less frequently to men) in general are very hesitant to complain about sexual harassment/assault, due in large part to the sort of victim-blaming crud that tends to come up. Female summers are going to be even more hesitant to come forward than the average employee.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:53 pm

The other thing is that in theory someone else saw, so if so, and as someone suggested earlier, it was a sufficiently powerful partner, the SA fondle-ee might not have had to bring it up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:58 pm

For those of us who have no interest in reading through all the crap in these last 6 pages, can someone provide a summary update on what we know here?

patent_guy

New

Post by patent_guy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:29 pm

misterjames wrote:For those of us who have no interest in reading through all the crap in these last 6 pages, can someone provide a summary update on what we know here?
There’s been a lot of speculation and useless arguing, but nothing has been confirmed at all.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 pm

misterjames wrote:For those of us who have no interest in reading through all the crap in these last 6 pages, can someone provide a summary update on what we know here?
Just wait for Private Pyle’s turgid writeup in ATL, no doubt forthcoming. Hi Joe.

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:42 pm

patent_guy wrote:
There’s been a lot of speculation and useless arguing, but nothing has been confirmed at all.
So business as usual, got it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
pithypike wrote:That is a fair debate though. If two people are dancing, for example, and hands are already in play, the line is indeed blurred on what would constitute groping and what would constitute welcome escalation.
Please explain how dancing "escalates." Is the idea that if someone starts doing the Charleston that they're naturally up for doing a Lindy Hop? Is tango an escalation from salsa? Inquiring minds want to know!
If you're doing the tango with someone, you are almost certainly committing actions that would be considered groping in the absence of consent.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Even just regular Waltz can be harassment...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:04 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
pithypike wrote:That is a fair debate though. If two people are dancing, for example, and hands are already in play, the line is indeed blurred on what would constitute groping and what would constitute welcome escalation.
Please explain how dancing "escalates." Is the idea that if someone starts doing the Charleston that they're naturally up for doing a Lindy Hop? Is tango an escalation from salsa? Inquiring minds want to know!
If you're doing the tango with someone, you are almost certainly committing actions that would be considered groping in the absence of consent.
Do you usually engage random women in non-consensual tango sessions?

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Let’s please re-litigate the dance-touch issue forever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”